Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-29-2010, 12:02 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Note to self: never mention outdoor creatures, such as squirrels, I find cute or appealing again.
Aw, it's OK. I love squirrels...

... especially with a little garlic sauce.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2010, 06:51 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Note to self: never mention outdoor creatures, such as squirrels, I find cute or appealing again.
The appearance of squirrels in these parts is a sure sign of spring.

My big dog Bruno is starting to have minor hip problems. I've had to stop saying "Better Run, Squirrel" so he doesn't go flying down the back screened porch steps in hot pursuit.
I always gave the squirrels a head start, at least 15 seconds in one of my more benevolent moods.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:49 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd love to see squirrels in my neighborhood. I only have those blasted rabbits! My dog knows they are in the yard while she is inside with all the windows and doors closed. She goes crazy. Do rabbits make a noise?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:19 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Do rabbits make a noise?
Depends on where you hit them.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Aw, it's OK. I love squirrels...

... especially with a little garlic sauce.
This reminds me of the quote by W. C. Fields:

"I like children - fried."
Old 01-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This reminds me of the quote by W. C. Fields:

"I like children - fried."
Oh...I thought he liked children...with baked beans...
Old 01-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #67

I also love squirrels, think is the novelty factor. I wasn't so keen when I first realised they were my garden bandits, however once I reminded myself that they were here first, I grew to love the furry little things. I love to watch them out my bedroom window busily hiding their acorns. I have been thinking about messing with their heads and taking the acorn and substituting something in it's place just to confuse them.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #68

Many squirrels and mallard ducks where I live in warmer weather. Where I lived 6 years ago 20 miles to the north and in the country, we would see deer, possum, skunks, and a couple of times a bear. I love the ducks. And no, when I see them I do not think "duck a la orange". Never really cared much for duck even when I lived on Long Island where really superb duck is often on the menu. If you like it, that is.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:17 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Depends on where you hit them.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:10 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Squirrels? Rabbits? Duck? How did we get here? Back on topic, everybody!

Question: "If you could live forever, would you and why?"

Answer: "I would not live forever, because we should not live forever, because if we were supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever," A Miss America contender in 1994.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #71

Back on topic. I spoke with the 80 yo in my aerobics class today, well she will turn 80 in May. She told me she takes no medications at all. Most of her friends of her age are quite decrepit but none of them will come and work out with her. Mentally this lady is so sharp. I just think it shows what a good diet and exercise, can do to help you out as you age.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #72

I swim occasionally with someone who's 90 or so (a couple guys and a couple ladies). They all say a good diet and exercise has kept them going for so long. I'm taking the hint myself.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #73

I sat at the table with a friend of mine yesterday at the retirees' luncheon, and her Mom will be 100 in July! She's still going strong and sharp as a tack, although she's moving a little slower these days. The small town she lives in was putting together a book about the history of the town, and they tapped her for her wealth of information and memories...she's the oldest resident in town! She remembers names and dates and events all the way back to when she was a little girl. She has a very keen memory! Her daughters hired someone to come in a 'help' with the cleaning and laundry, but ol' Mom still does most of it herself, and won't have it any other way.

Another lady that we know, had a neighbor that is 102 or 103, and lives all alone on her farm out in the country....nearest neighbor is a mile away. She does her own cooking, cleaning, yard work, shopping, etc. She pays someone to take care of the crops (plowing, planting, spraying, harvesting, etc.), but she runs the farm! A couple of years ago, a bunch of the neighbor's cattle got loose, and found their way into her yard. So she was out there herding them back down the road to their pasture...using a broom!

It's folks like them that give me hope for my old age!
Old 01-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Question: "If you could live forever, would you and why?"

Answer: "I would not live forever, because we should not live forever, because if we were supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever," A Miss America contender in 1994.
Discussing wild life and living to age 100? I see a very clear correlation there.
Just kidding...I'll behave.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:52 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

So you want to live to age 100?

Oooohhh, I didn't answer the question. I suppose I want to live long enough to get at least one social security check...then I'll play it by ear.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:08 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Back on topic is a GREAT idea The squirrel and critter comments were getting out of hand.

Seriously though, many have stipulated they only want to live to a ripe old age if they are healthy in body and mind. As I've mentioned here, my MIL recently died at the age of 90. When she was 75 she had a severe stroke that resulted in her being very disabled. For the next 15 years, she was unable to move the left side of her body. This meant she needed assistance with every routine task. She had to wear diapers and be fed her meals. As time went by, her left arm and leg began to contract and resulted in much pain. She also had some impairment mentally, but was generally still the same woman she was before the stroke.

This was one of those things that could not have been predicted or prevented. The stoke came when an aneurysm burst in her brain. Emergency surgery was performed at Johns Hopkins which saved her life but she had a stroke after the surgery. She was an active woman who got lots of excersize and ate sensible food. She didn't have a family history of this sort of problem. She was the youngest of 11 children and all of them lived to ripe old ages - several to over 100.

Here's the thing. She had such a strong desire to live, even with all she went through. In fact, she clung to life and I believe her strong spirit kept her going for so long. I think many of us say we wouldn't want to live like she did for so long. However, life is precious and she didn't want to let go. I can understand not wanting to carry on, but we often don't get too much of a choice.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #77

I love this video and Im not a woman.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:36 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
To be more precise, that´s what really worries me: the process.: pain, dependency. disablility, indignity.....
I don't generally worry about death. But I do worry about descending into indignity. I'm not too worried about becoming a vegetable. In that case, other than the cost to my heirs, I won't be aware of the problem. And, certainly, if I become disabled and still enjoy life (a la Hawkins) I would be OK with that. If I don't like where I am headed, my inclination is to take matters into my own hands before the indignity phase. But what worries me the most is that chance may take the choice out of my hands before I can take action. I would hate to find myself alert and trapped in a non-functional body wanting to die but unable to take action. And I don't see assisted suicide becoming readily available. It irritates the heck out of me that a lot of people tell me that is a choice their God gets to make for me. What about my God who supports assisted suicide?
Old 01-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

mmmm, deer.

cute, yummy, yummy deer....

ta,
mew
Old 01-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... I can understand not wanting to carry on, but we often don't get too much of a choice.
Yes, right now I would prefer to die than to be bed-ridden wearing a diaper. However, who knows if I might change my mind when I get there. But it is hard for me to not think about it, the choice that I may not get to make at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I don't generally worry about death. But I do worry about descending into indignity.... I would hate to find myself alert and trapped in a non-functional body wanting to die but unable to take action. And I don't see assisted suicide becoming readily available. It irritates the heck out of me that a lot of people tell me that is a choice their God gets to make for me.
The way I look at it is that sometimes one's life gets extended unduly because of modern medicine and care. God does not create these tools and techniques. Man does.