So you want to live to age 100?

Squirrels? Rabbits? Duck? How did we get here? Back on topic, everybody!

Back on topic is a GREAT idea:D The squirrel and critter comments were getting out of hand.

Seriously though, many have stipulated they only want to live to a ripe old age if they are healthy in body and mind. As I've mentioned here, my MIL recently died at the age of 90. When she was 75 she had a severe stroke that resulted in her being very disabled. For the next 15 years, she was unable to move the left side of her body. This meant she needed assistance with every routine task. She had to wear diapers and be fed her meals. As time went by, her left arm and leg began to contract and resulted in much pain. She also had some impairment mentally, but was generally still the same woman she was before the stroke.

This was one of those things that could not have been predicted or prevented. The stoke came when an aneurysm burst in her brain. Emergency surgery was performed at Johns Hopkins which saved her life but she had a stroke after the surgery. She was an active woman who got lots of excersize and ate sensible food. She didn't have a family history of this sort of problem. She was the youngest of 11 children and all of them lived to ripe old ages - several to over 100.

Here's the thing. She had such a strong desire to live, even with all she went through. In fact, she clung to life and I believe her strong spirit kept her going for so long. I think many of us say we wouldn't want to live like she did for so long. However, life is precious and she didn't want to let go. I can understand not wanting to carry on, but we often don't get too much of a choice.

To be more precise, that´s what really worries me: the process.: pain, dependency. disablility, indignity.....
I don't generally worry about death. But I do worry about descending into indignity. I'm not too worried about becoming a vegetable. In that case, other than the cost to my heirs, I won't be aware of the problem. And, certainly, if I become disabled and still enjoy life (a la Hawkins) I would be OK with that. If I don't like where I am headed, my inclination is to take matters into my own hands before the indignity phase. But what worries me the most is that chance may take the choice out of my hands before I can take action. I would hate to find myself alert and trapped in a non-functional body wanting to die but unable to take action. And I don't see assisted suicide becoming readily available. It irritates the heck out of me that a lot of people tell me that is a choice their God gets to make for me. What about my God who supports assisted suicide?

... I can understand not wanting to carry on, but we often don't get too much of a choice.
Yes, right now I would prefer to die than to be bed-ridden wearing a diaper. However, who knows if I might change my mind when I get there. But it is hard for me to not think about it, the choice that I may not get to make at all.

I don't generally worry about death. But I do worry about descending into indignity.... I would hate to find myself alert and trapped in a non-functional body wanting to die but unable to take action. And I don't see assisted suicide becoming readily available. It irritates the heck out of me that a lot of people tell me that is a choice their God gets to make for me.
The way I look at it is that sometimes one's life gets extended unduly because of modern medicine and care. God does not create these tools and techniques. Man does.

Do rabbits make a noise?
Good grief, they're noisy. When they want to get your attention they'll chew on something noisy (cardboard, plastic, drywall, your foot) or run around with "heavy feet". Bunnies can also move at about Warp 6 in total silence, so using their "heavy feet" must be a conscious choice.

They thump the floor (or other resonant surfaces) with their hind feet to warn of danger.

When they're being petted or groomed, they grind their teeth and squeak air out of their mouths.

I'm told that they can scream in pain, although I've never heard it.

Yes, right now I would prefer to die than to be bed-ridden wearing a diaper.
Most of us spent the first year of our lives this way, and will probably spend the last year of our lives that way...

I think ALS patients are a powerful indicator of human adaptability. They know what it's like to have had full mobility, and they're well aware of all the ways that they can choose to die at any time. Yet most of them choose to stay alive, despite constantly increasing immobility, until the only thing they can move is their eyeballs.

I think I'll always be interested in seeing the next sunrise.

I think ALS patients are a powerful indicator of human adaptability. They know what it's like to have had full mobility, and they're well aware of all the ways that they can choose to die at any time.
I knew a man who died of Lou Gehrig's disease. I wonder how a patient diagnosed with such terrible disease would take the news. I cringed when I heard it about this man. He had had plans for the retirement that he never got to enjoy.

Yes, the human survival instinct is very strong. Religious beliefs aside, the will to live is simply built into our genes. Still, is our society not advanced enough to provide hopeless people who opt for a sooner exit a choice? It is one thing to end one's life in a violent way, and quite another to exit in a graceful manner, aided by an understanding medical staff.

It is a very individual choice, and there is really no need for some individuals to impose their beliefs on other human beings. I may find myself wanting to see the next sunrise when my time comes, but knowing that I have a choice would be comforting.

Thanks Nords that was interesting...now I know. I think Thumper is tormenting my dog.

Now...back to original question. At this time, I don't think I want to live to 100. I just can't imagine living that long and being happy. As others have mentioned, it's the quality that I fear not having.

In my own family, my grandmother had her children, her grandchild (me) and a sister for emotional and physical support during her 93 years. She was happy, from what I could tell.

My mother died when she was 79 from a short illness after a stroke so she went pretty fast. The only support system she had at that time was her husband (my stepfather) and me.

My aunt (by marriage) was the only one that ended up in a nursing home. She was in the nursing home for less than a year and the quality of her life went down hill fast. She was 86 when she died. She only had some close friends and me for her emotional support.

Quality is very important to me. If I became deathly ill today, the only emotional support I would have would be my daughter. No 100 years for me please.

I know something else bunnies do from a neighbor who had one in their kitchen in a pen they made. They gave the bunny some slightly wilted lettuce one day and the bunny took it, chewed it and spit it clear across the room!!! Yes!!! I guess they do this. Anyway, that bunny liked his lettuce cold and crispy and wasn't going to eat anything but... Thought that was funny myself.:LOL:

Live to 100? Yeah, I'd love to myself...so long as I'm not in any kind of daily pain I want to.

And I'm with donheff for assisted suicide. Isn't Oregon the only State that allows it?

Bought one of those plasic 6mm BB shooting pistols and the last 'squirrel proof' metal bird feeder at the local Wally World.

Smoked a brisket.

First telecon tomorrow with Berkley Heartlab(free with Medicare) - they are going to tell me to diet and exercise.

I understand all this because I'm a lefthanded INTJ ER (since 1993).

heh heh heh - I'm hoping to live long enough to hit a squirrel in the butt without hitting my neighbors picture window - hence plastic BB's. :angel: :greetings10:.

heh heh heh - I'm hoping to live long enough to hit a squirrel in the butt without hitting my neighbors picture window - hence plastic BB's. :angel: :greetings10:.

Back to squirrel hating? Geez unclemick. Love ya but wonder why you and so many others here devote so much time and energy in an endless battle against squirrels. Life is short and precious. Feel the love dude.

Back to squirrel hating? ... Feel the love dude.

Love is a difficult thing to explain. Looks like people who hate squirrels do so because the latter steal food from their beloved birds. I have no preference, so squirrels do not upset me.

I still like to hear how Uncle Mick does with his plastic BB gun, however. My son likes to play with them because they are relatively safe. I think at 50 to 100ft, it would hurt but wouldn't kill a squirrel. As the plastic BB is light, does not spin, and has a terrible drop, Uncle Mick may not even hit anything at all. :LOL:

A pellet gun is another thing altogether, of course. I have a 30-yr old pellet Crosman pistol which is a pump-up type taking up to 10 pumps max. Its barrel is rifled and deadly accurate, hence I used it for target shooting. I once used it to chase away a flock of pigeons that messed up my roof. I only wanted to chase them away, so shot at one with only 1 pump. The doggone thing dropped dead! By the way, there is a law against shooting pigeons here.

Attachments

• 1377C_pistol.jpg
    1377C_pistol.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1
I couldn't shoot an animal, but I'm not a vegetarian. I guess I'm a murderer by proxy.

I don't think I want to live to be a 100....especially if I am bed-ridden, in diapers, and totally dependant on others for everything. Plus, the sooner you go, the sooner you get to your new life ;)

I couldn't shoot an animal, but I'm not a vegetarian. I guess I'm a murderer by proxy.

I would call this being an omnivore. You know, like a bear;)

I know something else bunnies do from a neighbor who had one in their kitchen in a pen they made. They gave the bunny some slightly wilted lettuce one day and the bunny took it, chewed it and spit it clear across the room!!! Yes!!! I guess they do this. Anyway, that bunny liked his lettuce cold and crispy and wasn't going to eat anything but... Thought that was funny myself.:LOL:

Live to 100? Yeah, I'd love to myself...so long as I'm not in any kind of daily pain I want to.

And I'm with donheff for assisted suicide. Isn't Oregon the only State that allows it?

Oregon Washington Montana

This is not the kind of music I usually listen to, but I like the song "Fade to Grey" by Visage. This song was a top hit in Europe in the early 80s.
YouTube - Visage - Fade to Grey
One man on a lonely platform
One case sitting by his side.
Two eyes staring cold and silent
Show fear as he turns to hide.

Ah we fade to grey
Ah we fade to grey

Feel the rain like an English summer
Feel the notes from a distant song.
Stepping out from a back shop poster
Wishing life wouldn't be so dull.

Ah we fade to grey
Ah we fade to grey

Note: the female voice in the background simply repeats the lyrics above, but in French.

Good grief, they're noisy.
I'm told that they can scream...., although I've never heard it.

They do and it will *really* get your attention - it's at that perfect resonant frequency of your ears.....not something to experience if you can help it. As for the other noisiness - isn't it amazing? Attention seeking is innate, it seems, in any way possible - eh?

I don't want to get old. :( I love life, but wouldn't it be great if our bodies only aged to say 45-50? Then yes, I'd love to live to 100...or beyond. I dread the inevitable.

I love Betty White...I wish they wouldn't call it the SAG award though...

Back
Top Bottom