So you want to live to age 100?

It's something we feel we have to do. But it's just sad to see that modern medicine can only do so much...

I will be 60 this year. The thought of making it to 80 horrifies me. I watched Mother fall apart and she had someone to take care of her.

To add data:
I am deteriorating pretty much on Mother's schedule.
It's annoying and sometimes causes depressive episodes.

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.” Isaac Asimov

To add data:
I am deteriorating pretty much on Mother's schedule.
It's annoying and sometimes causes depressive episodes.

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.” Isaac Asimov

The spring squirrels will be out soon Khan.

Yep...I think many of us have the blahs. Even me... ;) But as CFB once told me, "this too shall pass."

Hang in there Khan, spring will be here soon. Think of the Farmer's Markets and all those good things to eat, come summer.:flowers:

The spring squirrels will be out soon Khan.

#<&* v Spring my butt! Those stinking squirrels are boldly raiding my bird feeder on the front porch even tearing off pieces of wood to get at the food.

Time to go BB/pellet pistol shopping. The buzzards are too fast for my tubby dogs.

heh heh heh - the men in the family tree tend to high BP(thus the related diseases) and have a history of preceding the women by 10-15 years.

Rats - guess I'll party now. Doing a brisket Sunday under the patio awning - hope Mondays snow storm doesn't come early.

#<&* v Spring my butt! Those stinking squirrels are boldly raiding my bird feeder on the front porch even tearing off pieces of wood to get at the food.

Time to go BB/pellet pistol shopping. The buzzards are too fast for my tubby dogs......

Them dang bushy-tailed tree-rats were smarter than my old dog! They'd sit on tree branch just out of the mutt's reach, and they'd chatter away just to p*ss the old dog off!

But as I gradually approach my 100th birthday (only a tad over 47 years to go), I've gradually learned to let the squirrels THINK that they're out smarting me! I've changed over all of the birdfeeders to steel, bushy-tailed tree-rat-proof models....those lil buggers climb on 'em and try to gnaw their way in, but they barely even scratch the paint with their teeth.

And now, I'm even feeding the squirrels right close to their favorite tree! I give 'em their own pile of nuts, corn, and seeds! Little do they realize that all I'm doin' it for is to fatten 'em up so they won't be so dang scrawny when the neighbor and I get ready to pan-fry 'em! That and some nice sausage gravy and biscuits, and a good cup of coffee, and ya have a great breakfast! :D

Note to self: never mention outdoor creatures, such as squirrels, I find cute or appealing again.

Note to self: never mention outdoor creatures, such as squirrels, I find cute or appealing again.
Aw, it's OK. I love squirrels...

... especially with a little garlic sauce.

The appearance of squirrels in these parts is a sure sign of spring. :D

My big dog Bruno is starting to have minor hip problems. I've had to stop saying "Better Run, Squirrel" so he doesn't go flying down the back screened porch steps in hot pursuit.
I always gave the squirrels a head start, at least 15 seconds in one of my more benevolent moods. >:D

I'd love to see squirrels in my neighborhood. I only have those blasted rabbits!:mad: My dog knows they are in the yard while she is inside with all the windows and doors closed. She goes crazy. Do rabbits make a noise?

Aw, it's OK. I love squirrels...

... especially with a little garlic sauce.

This reminds me of the quote by W. C. Fields:

"I like children - fried." >:D

I also love squirrels, think is the novelty factor. I wasn't so keen when I first realised they were my garden bandits, however once I reminded myself that they were here first, I grew to love the furry little things. I love to watch them out my bedroom window busily hiding their acorns. I have been thinking about messing with their heads and taking the acorn and substituting something in it's place just to confuse them.

Many squirrels and mallard ducks where I live in warmer weather. Where I lived 6 years ago 20 miles to the north and in the country, we would see deer, possum, skunks, and a couple of times a bear. I love the ducks. And no, when I see them I do not think "duck a la orange". Never really cared much for duck even when I lived on Long Island where really superb duck is often on the menu. If you like it, that is.

Squirrels? Rabbits? Duck? How did we get here? Back on topic, everybody!

Question: "If you could live forever, would you and why?"

Answer: "I would not live forever, because we should not live forever, because if we were supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever," A Miss America contender in 1994.

Back on topic. I spoke with the 80 yo in my aerobics class today, well she will turn 80 in May. She told me she takes no medications at all. Most of her friends of her age are quite decrepit but none of them will come and work out with her. Mentally this lady is so sharp. I just think it shows what a good diet and exercise, can do to help you out as you age.

I swim occasionally with someone who's 90 or so (a couple guys and a couple ladies). They all say a good diet and exercise has kept them going for so long. I'm taking the hint myself.

I sat at the table with a friend of mine yesterday at the retirees' luncheon, and her Mom will be 100 in July! She's still going strong and sharp as a tack, although she's moving a little slower these days. The small town she lives in was putting together a book about the history of the town, and they tapped her for her wealth of information and memories...she's the oldest resident in town! She remembers names and dates and events all the way back to when she was a little girl. She has a very keen memory! Her daughters hired someone to come in a 'help' with the cleaning and laundry, but ol' Mom still does most of it herself, and won't have it any other way.

Another lady that we know, had a neighbor that is 102 or 103, and lives all alone on her farm out in the country....nearest neighbor is a mile away. She does her own cooking, cleaning, yard work, shopping, etc. She pays someone to take care of the crops (plowing, planting, spraying, harvesting, etc.), but she runs the farm! A couple of years ago, a bunch of the neighbor's cattle got loose, and found their way into her yard. So she was out there herding them back down the road to their pasture...using a broom!

It's folks like them that give me hope for my old age! :flowers:

Squirrels? Rabbits? Duck? How did we get here? Back on topic, everybody!

Question: "If you could live forever, would you and why?"

Answer: "I would not live forever, because we should not live forever, because if we were supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever," A Miss America contender in 1994.
Discussing wild life and living to age 100? I see a very clear correlation there. :cool:
Just kidding...I'll behave. :angel:

So you want to live to age 100?

Oooohhh, I didn't answer the question. I suppose I want to live long enough to get at least one social security check...then I'll play it by ear. :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom