Social Security/Medicare rip off

l2ridehd

Recycles dryer sheets
I am in the process of applying for SS and Medicare. Just got off the phone with them after completing the online application. The issue: SS checks are with held one month so you are delayed getting the check. However Medicare has to be paid one month in advance. So the first check you receive which is delayed one month after the SS start date will have two months of Medicare payments removed. So what you get is delayed a month, what you have to pay has to be paid a month in advance.

My congressman is getting a letter, what a rip off.

Not only do you get paid for each month in the following month but the payment received in the month of your death (for the month you were alive) goes back to the SS admin. Since payment by check is on the way out, the little reminder about the payment for the last month of a recipients life will fade away.

I am in the process of applying for SS and Medicare. Just got off the phone with them after completing the online application. The issue: SS checks are with held one month so you are delayed getting the check. However Medicare has to be paid one month in advance. So the first check you receive which is delayed one month after the SS start date will have two months of Medicare payments removed. So what you get is delayed a month, what you have to pay has to be paid a month in advance.

My congressman is getting a letter, what a rip off.

Look on the bright side. You are getting paid. For the rest of your life. Minor glitch up front.

When getting new empl*yment, you never get paid for what you are about to do, get paid after doing what you were hired to do.

I don't think this is worth getting upset about.
I would agree.

I'm age 63 but do not intend to claim SS till age 70 (for the primary reason of benefits for DW, after I pass).

I need to file for Medicare on Oct 1, 2012, to start Medicare on the date of 01/01/2013 due to my birthdate, which is in January. Medicare starts the first of the month that you turn 65, regardless of the date of the month. I will be billed (quarterly) for Part B preimums (rather than take them from my SS) untill I claim SS.

SS requires you (unless born on the 1st or 2nd of month) to have a one-month "waiting period" before you are paid your benefit. It's no different than wor*ing for a full month before getting a monthly paycheck (as I did, for many years). You have to "earn it" before you get paid.

This info is readily available for anybody who is concerned about their future benefits. Nobody is hiding anything...

...My congressman is getting a letter, what a rip off.

I'll be so happy to be covered by Medicare and SS that I won't care if it's six months getting here.

I'm sure your congressman will get right on that.

Make a protest sign. Whine. Get emotional in front of a reporter. It's somewhat popular these days.

-ERD50

I applied for the retirement benefit in October to commence the following January. They did not have the courtesy to advise as to the amount of that benefit until January.

I applied for the retirement benefit in October to commence the following January. They did not have the courtesy to advise as to the amount of that benefit until January.
That's when the annual SS benefit statement is sent out, along with any increases due to COLA adjustments.

Often this information is not available till late in the year, and the proper program changes are made.

Until you receive this statement of benefits, any "guesstimate" is just that.

Yes, been there - done that.

This is an outrage. I'd move to Somalia.

So is it better if Medicare is not there for me?
People taking a reduced salary to work for entities offering medical insurance benefits which continued into retirement got gypped when they were roped into medicare.

Perhaps the outrageous rise in medical costs and higher education costs is somewhat attributable to government programs?

Last edited:
I'll just remember to apply for SS a month earlier than the date when I want it. No problem. I sort of assumed it would be paid at the end of the month anyway. Guess I'm a pessimist.

Last edited:
At least the OP gets a benefit.

For those of us a bit younger what the OP got is more than we'll ever see.

I'll just remember to apply for SS a month earlier than the date when I want it. No problem. I sort of assumed it would be paid at the end of the month anyway.
I receive mine on about the 23rd of the month following the month for which the benefit is being paid.
As I used to hear in the military, guess it's 'close enough for government work'.

Last edited:
Aren't all healthcare policies paid for in advance, along with life insurance and car insurance?

If this is the worst thing in life you have to deal with, well........

Would be more shocking if I was not accessed a penalty for not paying my estimated taxes on a timely basis.
What does this have to do with SS and Medicare?

I think you are assessed a penalty for not paying sufficient estimated tax and charged interest for not being timely.

Back
Top Bottom