Sodium intake

Notmuchlonger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My MIL throws me the evil eye every time I pick up the salt shaker . Then I get the usual lecture of how salt is not good for you.

My last blood pressure was 116/73 Im in fairly decent shape. I do like salty food. Im sure I use more than the daily recommended amount. So anyways what are the bad things that can happen with too much salt intake? My blood pressure is fine what should i be looking for if anything? Ive had various blood work done over the last few years and my Dr's have never mentioned anything about my salt intake.

And I just noticed Salt and Sodium are not the same thing. So I guess the title should read Salt Intake :)

Last edited:
My MIL throws me the evil eye every time I pick up the salt shaker . Then I get the usual lecture of how salt is not good for you.

My last blood pressure was 116/73 Im in fairly decent shape. I do like salty food. Im sure I use more than the daily recommended amount. So anyways what are the bad things that can happen with too much salt intake? My blood pressure is fine what should i be looking for if anything? Ive had various blood work done over the last few years and my Dr's have never mentioned anything about my salt intake.

Have not added salt since 1980. I'm told adding salt affects your thought process.

Yep, salt is chlorine and sodium. Two highly poisonous items that combined become tasty!

According to what I've seen, unless you have a specific problem with hypertension, you can eat it by the handful. You'll just get awful thirsty.

Hey bob...maybe its a good effect? ;)

If you have normal kidneys and blood pressure, salting to taste should have no adverse effects. It is not known whether dietary salt intake increases the risk of high blood pressure in the future, but there is no serious evidence to support that theory.

Some women in particular, find that excessive salt exaggerates the fluid-retaining properties of estrogen levels, and they get swelling in the ankles or face which improves when they restrict salt.

If you have normal kidneys and blood pressure, salting to taste should have no adverse effects. It is not known whether dietary salt intake increases the risk of high blood pressure in the future, but there is no serious evidence to support that theory.

Some women in particular, find that excessive salt exaggerates the fluid-retaining properties of estrogen levels, and they get swelling in the ankles or face which improves when they restrict salt.

Salt/sodium didn't use to cause problems, but stress and age and obesity caused high BP. Have been decreasing BP by decreasing stress and obesity, but is still too high. Have been increasing exercise and decreasing sodium.

Our evolution keeps messing us up. 30,000 years ago sodium and fat were hard to come by.

Ya no hypertension here. My MIL is diabetic so maybe she is sensitive to what people put on their foods. Thanks for the responses.

Now I can blame you guys when I salt my food in front of her next time >:D

You'll just get awful thirsty.

Hey bob...maybe its a good effect? ;)

I'll drink to that! Actually a nice FAT TIRE amber ale New Belgium! Popped corn with NO salt. Honodog, the jack russel, catches kernels on the fly. Scruffy Dog.com/ , the poodle mix, is picking up on the action but up to a couple of days ago was content to have the kernel bounced on the nose to be scarfed up off the floor.:D Damn it's another beautiful in the Bay!

Hmmm...Costco packed my weekly load of bacon into an empty Fat Tire box for me.

Coincidence? I dont think so...

Hmmm...Costco packed my weekly load of bacon into an empty Fat Tire box for me.

Coincidence? I dont think so...

Bacon IS the salt substitute! Soup a little bland? Spritz a few bacon bits. Steamed veggies a little sad? BaconBit'em! Sex a little tired? Baby got Back/pork back fat, we're talking bacon making. Bacon straight up with a Fat Tire back. :D

I figured you to have your own smokehouse and do your own. Plus slaughter your own pigs .Hfmmp.

Well you don't know CFB
Cause he's down with OPB

Chorus:
You down with OPB (Yeah you know me) 3X
Who's down with OPB (Every last homie)
You down with OPB (Yeah you know me) 3X
Who's down with OPB (All the homies)

He so naughty by nature!

Wags, a little help with youtube?

hooray! just the validation i was looking for - i love my salt...saltier the better...

Hey Bob, how about a little more salt? I think five Fat Tires is also gonna do it for you for the day ;)

Sorry NML...havent gotten into too much of my own meat curing. I've made a bunch of corned beef and smoked pastrami from my own cure on occasion. Both of which are pathetically easy and produce superior results...they just take an awful long time.

I did go on a pig hunting expedition a few months back, but all that did was annoy my suburban neighbors.

When we first moved to Asia I bought pork bellies, cured them and smoked them on my smoker...its a lot of work, but when they don't sell anything like it at the local grocer, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!:D

R

When we first moved to Asia I bought pork bellies, cured them and smoked them on my smoker...its a lot of work, but when they don't sell anything like it at the local grocer, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!:D

R

Bacon not real big in Asia? What the heck is the matter with them folks!

I must admit it. I am an over salter. I just love salt and really don't like sugar. Coffee is about the sweetest thing I like. I just LOVE salt :)

Bacon not real big in Asia? What the heck is the matter with them folks!

you can buy a facsimile of good ol' american bacon...but it doesn't look, smell or taste like the real stuff. The folks around here like their own version, but we don't. At least it is pork bacon though. When I go to Singapore, the hotel I used to stay at only served turkey bacon...nasty stuff!:p

We got a Costco here a few years back and they import Farmer John bacon, so my bacon smoking days are over...but at $8-9 bucks a pound for the stuff, sometimes I am still tempted.:rolleyes:

R

Yikes. I paid $9.something a package for about 4lbs of dry cure thick sliced yesterday at costco. Dang yummy stuff.

The sort of thing that might make ya wanna move back to the US of A. ;)

Hey Bob, how about a little more salt? I think five Fat Tires is also gonna do it for you for the day ;)

Sorry NML...havent gotten into too much of my own meat curing. I've made a bunch of corned beef and smoked pastrami from my own cure on occasion. Both of which are pathetically easy and produce superior results...they just take an awful long time.

I did go on a pig hunting expedition a few months back, but all that did was annoy my suburban neighbors.

Guess you're the dad drooling at the petting zoo's? They had some huge porkers at the one down here...

Last edited:

My Mom has this problem.

Back
Top Bottom