Article: "Un-Retired Man Reveals Common Retirement Myths That Everyone Should Know"

TickTock

Full time employment: Posting here.
Article: "Un-Retired Man Reveals Common Retirement Myths That Everyone Should Know"

This is the type of article that raises my blood pressure: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/oth...82519354704ae589d0a3731203da31&ei=113#image=1

Note that I would no more fault the author for retiring after a near-death experience in his early 50s then eventually finding fulfillment in un-retirement at 62 than I would fault someone for finding fulfillment in early retirement.

Myth #1: Life's path is linear. True. And how is this a retirement myth? :facepalm:

Myth #2: Learning ends at a certain age. True. And how is this a retirement myth? :facepalm:

Myth #3: Our 20s and 30s are our best years. True. And how is this a retirement myth? :facepalm:

Myth #4: Ignoring death. True. And how is this a retirement myth? :facepalm:

tl,dr: The author has true insights that are then inappropriately applied to early retirement. :mad:

I won't give a bad article a click. I presume that the commentary "True", means that it's true that these are myths.

The myths don't strike me as being all that widely believed and I absolutely agree that there is not a serious link between them and decisions to work, change career, semi-retire, volunteer, fully retire or any other way to approach life.

Sounds like the kind of logic we would use back in college at 2 am after too many libations and believe we were deep thinkers.

I presume that the commentary "True", means that it's true that these are myths.

I thought the OP agreed with the statements, but did not find them to be a retirement myth.

I won't give a bad article a click.

+1

I've come to believe that any article about early retirement, FIRE, or anything along those lines that appears on MSN, Yahoo Finance, MarketWatch, Motely Fool, etc. is nothing but clickbait and garbage journalism.

^^^^^^ Garbage journalism by broke writers.

People aren’t stupid. If you want to retire, work toward it and, when you can, try it out. If it suits you, it suits you. If it doesn’t, then go back to work.

Just another junk article about FIRE by people who don't understand it or understand the people who wish to FIRE.

+1

I've come to believe that any article about early retirement, FIRE, or anything along those lines that appears on MSN, Yahoo Finance, MarketWatch, Motely Fool, etc. is nothing but clickbait and garbage journalism.

+100%. I became disinterested when I saw the source in that URL.

I don't understand the urge to post links to articles that the OP themselves think are terrible/useless/misleading/clickbait.

It seems to be happening regularly here.

In my case here, it's the interesting (and blood-pressure raising) to me dichotomy of life insights that I consider to be true, tacked on to an article supposedly about retirement.

That's also why I listed his "5 retirement myths" - so others wouldn't have to click on the article.

Yeah, these click-bait links keep getting posted. I usually don't bother reading them.

In my case here, it's the interesting (and blood-pressure raising) to me dichotomy of life insights that I consider to be true, tacked on to an article supposedly about retirement.

That's also why I listed his "5 retirement myths" - so others wouldn't have to click on the article.

The 1A should be supported here my friend, so post what you feel you want to.

Your comment reminds me of what Kiplinger's magazine has become. Sitting here thumbing thru it, I already identified the couple of pages worthy of reading amongst the mostly woke pseudo-political 'journalism' stapled together and guised as "personal finance" information. How far they have fallen, IMO. The writing was on the wall when Money magazine went out of print and I wonder how much longer this one will last with its endless articles on EV's and vacation travel destinations.

Yeah, these click-bait links keep getting posted. I usually don't bother reading them.

We are all at different points in our FIRE "walk." Sometimes, an article seems worth sharing - and we count on the folks here to vet it (which we always do:LOL:) and then report back.

Over time, we learn what is worth posting and what is not. I don't believe in prior restraint - after all, who is to decide up front what's worth it and what isn't. I guess if we are patient, we can wait for the "vetters" to report and base our participation on that. You just have to remember who you trust to vet the articles for you.

Back
Top Bottom