Statin Drugs.............Why Drug Companies Need ALL of US On them..........

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Can you say Pfizer in 2010? That's when their patent ends, and every generic drug company in America can make the pills and sell them for $4 at WalMart........ ::)

My chiropractor has a good frind that is a cardiologist. His friend said the MAIN REASON the suggested cholesterol levels keep going down from under 200 to 150 to a somewhat suggested 90 or less is pressure from the big drug firm lobbyists on the FDA due to the large corporate money at stake for them.

In his (cardiologist's) opionion, having been in practice for 20 years plus, you can't pluck a number out of the air and make it standard for ALL people.......... :p

Make sure you look at all options before doing the Zocor/Lipitor thing.......:)

I use pravachol....or it's generic equivalent: pravastatin...so all statins aren't on a leash. The dosage I need is not available anywhere for $4. I checked. The generic sales are all on low dosages, as far as I can see.

FinanceDude said:
Can you say Pfizer in 2010? That's when their patent ends, and every generic drug company in America can make the pills and sell them for $4 at WalMart........ ::)

My chiropractor has a good frind that is a cardiologist. His friend said the MAIN REASON the suggested cholesterol levels keep going down from under 200 to 150 to a somewhat suggested 90 or less is pressure from the big drug firm lobbyists on the FDA due to the large corporate money at stake for them.

In his (cardiologist's) opionion, having been in practice for 20 years plus, you can't pluck a number out of the air and make it standard for ALL people.......... :p

Make sure you look at all options before doing the Zocor/Lipitor thing.......:)

Yes. Perhaps the cure is worse that the disease:

"In a staggering setback for its research efforts and an ominous warning about future sales and earnings growth, Pfizer said Saturday night that it would halt development on torcetrapib because more deaths than expected occurred in a big clinical trial."

http://www.thestreet.com/newsanalysis/pharmaceuticals/10325598.html

pfpelican said:
I use pravachol....or it's generic equivalent: pravastatin...so all statins aren't on a leash. The dosage I need is not available anywhere for $4. I checked. The generic sales are all on low dosages, as far as I can see.

Actually, Walmart just updated their generic formulary on Nov 29, 2006.

http://i.walmart.com/i/if/hmp/fusion/genericdruglist.pdf

I notice that Pravastatin is now included at doseages of 10, 20, and 40 mg. You can get 30 tablets of any of those doseages for $4. Also, they will sell you a 3-month supply for $12. If you need more than what they consider a normal dose, they prorate the cost, i.e. if you need twice the "normal" doseage, it would be $8 for 60 tablets.

K-Mart will sell you a 90-day supply of any med on it's formulary for $15, regardless of the number of tablets, so on some meds they are a better deal.

FIRE'd@51 said:
Actually, Walmart just updated their generic formulary on Nov 29, 2006.

http://i.walmart.com/i/if/hmp/fusion/genericdruglist.pdf

I notice that Pravastatin is now included at doseages of 10, 20, and 40 mg. You can get 30 tablets of any of those doseages for $4. Also, they will sell you a 3-month supply for $12. If you need more than what they consider a normal dose, they prorate the cost, i.e. if you need twice the "normal" doseage, it would be $8 for 60 tablets.

K-Mart will sell you a 90-day supply of any med on it's formulary for $15, regardless of the number of tablets, so on some meds they are a better deal.

Good info. I see that lovasatin is on the list. :) I will have to check it out with the local Walmart store. Walmart may not be so bad after all. :D

FIRE'd@51 said:

I take 80mg...but could work it out at $4 or $12 a copy...thanks....that's good information.
pp

DOG52 said:
Good info. I see that lovasatin is on the list. :) I will have to check it out with the local Walmart store. Walmart may not be so bad after all. :D

Target is doing the same $4 generic thing, so you can get your lovastatin there.

Patrick said:
Yes. Perhaps the cure is worse that the disease:

"In a staggering setback for its research efforts and an ominous warning about future sales and earnings growth, Pfizer said Saturday night that it would halt development on torcetrapib because more deaths than expected occurred in a big clinical trial."

http://www.thestreet.com/newsanalysis/pharmaceuticals/10325598.html

This is the drug that raises the good chloresterol; not like the statins that lower the bad chloresterol. They will have to analyze the data to see if they can figure out what the problem is.

Take Red Yeast Rice 1200 mg a day, drink red wine in moderation, take 10 mg policosanol made from sugar cane, EXERCISE lose weight and eat a good low fat lean meat and vegatarian diet, watch what happens to your numbers!!

Bottom line, the really low cholesterol numbers correlate with higher numbers of STROKES! look at the japanese studies on the topic.

The side effects of statin drugs are greater than you are led to believe.

Look I am not adverse to taking medication, Heck I believe in better living thru Chemistry, however a drug that screws up your muscles, and screws with your memory, yes there are studies linking statin use to long term memory loss is something that I will not use.

I had a 225 number total cholesterol 39 HDL 160 LDL

I ramped up my mileage to 60 miles a week running, changed my diet to a better mix of foods, cut down on the alcohol went to more red wines, lower fat diet and my numbers are now 189 Total 59 HDL 129 LDL

I am 6 feet and weigh 174 51 year old man, Take BP medicine that has my pressure in a great range.

Now with taking an early retirement lets ee how less stress will do.

I have a goal to weight 162 on april 1 2007.

newguy888 said:
Take Red Yeast Rice 1200 mg a day, drink red wine in moderation, take 10 mg policosanol made from sugar cane, EXERCISE lose weight and eat a good low fat lean meat and vegatarian diet, watch what happens to your numbers!!

Your numbers and regimen are impressive. I don't want to rain on your parade, but, chemically, red rice yeast is a statin. http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/cholesterol/a/Nrxcol_rry.htm

I exercise (walking not running), only drink a beer of day, rarely eat red meat, eat fish twice a week, and generally have a low-fat diet with minimal sodium, and have had the same weight for the past 15 years. I'm 55. I controlled BP and cholesterol without meds until I hit 52. Now I take lovastatin and atenolol. The numbers have been good and the side effects minimal. My brothers all have elevated BP and cholesterol and my father died from a heart attack. For some of us, exercise and diet changes aren't enough. It's a genetic curse. :-[

Tomz,

I feel your pain.

My father died of heart disease at 48 and everyone on my side of the family has high cholesterol and triglycerides. Unfortunately I am one of the 10% who cannot tolerate statins as they mess up my muscle and/or liver. I've tried just about all of them. The only medication I cannot tolerate is Zetia. I tried Omacor for high triglycerides and developed a bad skin rash as well as intestinal problems.

I'm 5'11 and weight 190 on my way to 180. I walk 20 miles a week at a pretty good clip. My running days are over due to severe shoulder pain.

I have read and talked to people like myself that believe that at some point statins will be taken by kids. Although maybe the laws against trans fats may change things.

I think there are three statins that available generic. Working in a hospital I dont get to see all of them . We just substitite zocor (simvastatin) for whatever statin your on.
mevacor (lovastation) and pravacol (pravastatin) being the others.
The reason there is so many of them is obvious by how much money lipitor makes.
Walmarts must be losing money on the statins although other generics cost pennies and they will make some money up there. This is actually less than most prescription co pays so some will just fill those medications there.

If you go to the chain stores like cvs and walgreens you can ask them to match walmarts prices. Although I dont know if they are doing the 4$ deal or not. Normally they charge higher prices because insurance company works by caps. They have already negotiaed that they will pay so 12 for a medication. If walgreens charges 14 they will get paid 12 and if walgreens charges 8$ they will get paid 8$.

FIRE'd@51 said:

Do you have a link for what is on their formulary list? I went to the K-Mart Pharmacy Home webpage and couldn't find anything about low cost prescriptions. Thx.

mccl said:
Do you have a link for what is on their formulary list? I went to the K-Mart Pharmacy Home webpage and couldn't find anything about low cost prescriptions. Thx.

No, I do not. I read about their program in the newspaper and called them up on the phone. There is quite a bit of overlap between their formulary and that of Walmart. Because their price does not depend on the doseage (if the drug is in their formulary), they were cheaper on my prescription.

FIRE'd@51 said:
No, I do not. I read about their program in the newspaper and called them up on the phone. There is quite a bit of overlap between their formulary and that of Walmart. Because their price does not depend on the doseage (if the drug is in their formulary), they were cheaper on my prescription.

Thx. I'll stop by the local K-Mart and ask about it.

Back
Top Bottom