Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I recently read a very good book about Steve Jobs -

Amazon.com: The Steve Jobs Way: iLeadership for a New Generation (9781593156398): Jay Elliot, William L. Simon: Books

Written by the former Senior Vice President of Apple.
I read this book several years ago, and thought it was excellent.

Amazon.com: The Second Coming of Steve Jobs (9780767904339): Alan Deutschman: Books

It busts some of the myths surrounding Steve Jobs, but I think the reality is actually more interesting, and more flattering in a way. He was not always the 'genius' and 'visionary' that people say. In some cases, he is clearly and stubbornly going down the exact wrong path, and it is his subordinates that eventually turn him around (Pixar is a great example of this).

But what I love about that is, once he sees the light, he grabs the bull by the horns and really takes off with new enthusiasm for this new path. That Pixar story is full of his stumbling, bumbling - but look at the eventual outcome. He couldn't have done it without that team, but they couldn't have done it w/o Steve. Same with the other Steve.

This guy was really something.

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

a tweet I just read on my iPad:

iSad.

R.I.P. Steve.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Here is a brilliant ilogo tribute to Jobs:

jonathan mak
Old 10-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

jonathan mak

Very nice, thanks for sharing.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #45

Very sad and such a young age. I wonder what other great things he could have had us using in the future, if he had lived.

RIP Steve.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Pretty rarefied territory. And all accomplished by 56.
Yep, makes me think I'd better get off my tail and start building a legacy or I won't catch up with him!

Kinda like something Tom Lehrer once said: "It's a sobering thought that by the time Mozart was my age he'd been dead for five years."
Old 10-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Life imitates the Onion.

The Onion obit.

Quote:
CUPERTINO, CA—Steve Jobs, the visionary co-founder of Apple Computers and the only American in the country who had any clue what the f*** he was doing, died Wednesday at the age of 56. "We haven't just lost a great innovator, leader, and businessman, we've literally lost the only person in this country who actually had his s*** together and knew what the hell was going on," a statement from President Barack Obama read in part, adding that Jobs will be remembered both for the life-changing products he created and for the fact that he was able to sit down, think clearly, and execute his ideas—attributes he shared with no other U.S. citizen. "This is a dark time for our country, because the reality is none of the 300 million or so Americans who remain can actually get anything done or make things happen. Those days are over."
Meanwhile the Economist had this to say.

Quote:
As bad as their politics has got, Americans could always comfort themselves with the knowledge that their business leaders, entrepreneurs and workers were the most dynamic and innovative in the world. But they may look back on 2011 and see three events that undermine that story: the downgrade of America’s credit rating; the last flight of the space shuttle; and Mr Jobs’s death. The first, coming as it did on the heels of a debilitating and entirely pointless fight over raising the debt ceiling, captures how American political dysfunction has undermined the economy’s institutional pillars. The latter two symbolised the waning of, respectively, American public and private technological pre-eminence.
Of course, it would be foolish to count out Apple, much less an entire economy, because of one man’s death. Yet even if Apple remains as successful as it has been under Mr Jobs, that success long ago decoupled from that of the broader economy. Written on the back of my iPod are the words, “Designed by Apple in California, Assembled in China.” It was classic Jobs: reframing an issue, the outsourcing of American manufacturing jobs, as something inspirational rather than discouraging. The low-skill assembly jobs and the middle-class lives they provided may be leaving for Asian shores, but the brainy, wealth-creating parts of the process—the design, the engineering, the marketing—were firmly rooted in Silicon Valley. Free traders (including me) loved to cite the research that finds far more of the value in an iPod is added in America than in China.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:25 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I am really saddened over this, honestly brought tears to my eyes. A genius like him will not come along again for a very long time. RIP Steve
Very true. There are certain people that rise to a level that others can't.

I remember when Johnny Carson left his show I thought, how difficult could it be to replace a nightly talk-show host? It hasn't happened yet and I don't see it happening any time soon.

The same may be true with Steve Jobs. He wasn't just a computer geek, he was a visionary. There are only handfuls of these geniuses in the world at any given point in time. They are people that stand out so much that very few, if any, can rise to the same level. Beethoven, Shakespeare, Lincoln, Einstein, Edison, Jobs, are all names of champions in human history.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Steve Jobs RIP

It's my understanding that he had a form of cancer that attacks the islets of the pancreas. This is different than the more common adenocarcinoma of the pancreas which has a dismal 5 yr survival rate.

As chemist mentioned, patients who have had a successful Whipple surgery to remove the tumor have a 20% - 25% 5 yr survival rate. As a 4 1/2 yr. pancreatic cancer survivor who had the Whipple, chemo and radiation I realize I am extremely blessed. It's a devastating disease that tends to get diagnosed too late for effective treatment.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I respected Jobs a lot and invested in his company in 2001. Thanks for the retirement security, Steve.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Still one of the best commercials

Any of you a bit older than dirt should easily remember this commercial when it aired in 1984.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #52

Cliff, I was thinking of that Economist story and of course the Onion, when I heard Michael Lewis in an interview about his new book. I think he might be right about us. Jobs was an enigmatic and brilliant man, and the world is less for his passing.

A review: http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...XTL_story.html

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:44 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
That really says something - very fitting.

How many people could something like this be said about? Samuel Morse maybe? Marconi? Philo Farnsworth? Possibly whoever invented the first printing presses used for newspapers?

Pretty rarefied territory. And all accomplished by 56.

-ERD50
Hey now! There are admirers of Nikola Tesla - probably my favorite scientist in history - who froth at the mouth at the suggestion that Marconi invented the radio. He done stoled it from Tesla and history is only making that clearer as time passes. That sneaky Italian did have money and political support to build the big radio company of his day but give Tesla his due for the technological innovation.

On the topic of Jobs - who IMO will be remembered hundreds of yrs from now as the seminal figure in making advanced communications technology a truly household item for humanity - I view his spiritual connection more to Tesla rather than Edison like so many in the press are doing these past few days. I say this as both men saw a vision in their mind's eye of what was possible in the world and could not stop themselves from making their visions come to reality - not for money, fame or political power. Also, despite Jobs being a multi-billionaire, I think that some of the mass global adoration for him is due to the sense that he actually - and honestly - didn't care much for the money and wealth as opposed to the realization of his vision: He could easily have been the richest man in the world with the growth of Apple alone but, in his own words, Jobs had "no desire to be the richest man in the cemetary." These individuals like Jobs and Tesla are like the finest artists that mankind can produce but their palates happen to be in the realm of science to the benefit of mankind - of course, Da Vinci is the archetype of this extremely rare human being and one wonders what could have been if he were born 500yrs later than he was.

Anyway, I liken Gates as the Edison of his day while Jobs is the Tesla of his day as both sets were the fierce rivals of their day. Jobs and Tesla were both introverts who were still gifted showman. Both were also fired from the companies that each founded! Jobs fortunately had the redemptive chapter to his life which Tesla never enjoyed.

RIP Steve Jobs.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:13 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusLevy View Post
I view his spiritual connection more to Tesla rather than Edison
That's a great comparison, and I heartily agree. It's also apt in that both were highly eccentric individuals with a few downright weird characteristics, but they didn't let that stifle their creativity.

Can't remember where I read it, but one recent article said essentially that Jobs created his own profession, with a total world membership of one. That's what he talked about in his Stanford address, too. We'll be lucky to see another example of this before the 21st century is over.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusLevy View Post
Hey now! There are admirers of Nikola Tesla - probably my favorite scientist in history - who froth at the mouth at the suggestion that Marconi invented the radio. He done stoled it from Tesla and history is only making that clearer as time passes. ...

On the topic of Jobs - who IMO will be remembered hundreds of yrs from now as the seminal figure in making advanced communications technology a truly household item for humanity - I view his spiritual connection more to Tesla rather than Edison like so many in the press are doing these past few days.

Anyway, I liken Gates as the Edison of his day while Jobs is the Tesla of his day ....

RIP Steve Jobs.
Very good points. And I'll apologize for crediting Marconi, w/o due credit to Tesla (remember that scene from the beginning of "The Bucket List?).

And I gristle when I hear people refer to Edison as the 'inventor' of the light bulb. There were numerous patents ahead of him, Joseph Swan in England is often cited. I also don't really think of Edison as a 'genius' - Tesla certainly was very high level genius. Edison was a hard worker, applied himself and his staff (likely stole a lot of credit from them), but he did not have the high level of understanding of physics and electricity that Tesla had. Edison relied on 'brute force, brute will' to get things done. He didn't analyze the chemical properties of materials for a filament, he just had his staff keep trying things. I don't think Edison could have ever conceived the idea of 3-phase power (a Tesla development), Edison was stuck on DC. But Edison could envision that people would want dictating machines, moving pictures, phonographs and an electrical distribution system.

At least Tesla has a car company named after him now.

Where the Jobs-Tesla comparison breaks down for me though - I don't see Jobs as really being all that technically knowledgeable. In the early days, he had the other Steve for that, and later his teams. He had the vision of what he wanted, and knew how to get it done. Not a common combination, and maybe a bit more like Edison in that regard.

An amazing man, regardless how we view it.

-ERD50
Old 10-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

jonathan mak
Loved this when I saw it. ! They should use it!
Old 10-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #57

Quote:
And I gristle when I hear people refer to Edison as the 'inventor' of the light bulb. ... But Edison could envision that people would want dictating machines, moving pictures, phonographs and an electrical distribution system.
But Edison did invent the phonograph.
Quote:
The phonograph was invented in 1877 by Thomas Alva Edison at his laboratory in Menlo Park, New Jersey, USA.[1][2][3][4] On February 19, 1878, Edison was issued the first patent (U.S. patent #200,521) for the phonograph.[5] While other inventors had produced devices that could record sounds, Edison's phonograph was the first to be able to reproduce the recorded sound.
Phonograph - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I can't help thinking of Gates with his vision of a computer on every desk.

For Jobs, it might have been a computer in every hand! After all, he has freed people from ever going to a desk...