Sugary Soft Drinks

I allow myself to drink pop when I go out. But don't drink any at home. That's my compromise between quitting cold turkey or overdosing on pop.

I allow myself to drink pop when I go out. But don't drink any at home. That's my compromise between quitting cold turkey or overdosing on pop.
A good alternative to the "rule" several of us mentioned earlier, no soda/pop (home or out) unless there's liquor (rum) mixed in...moderation assumed.

A good alternative to the "rule" several of us mentioned earlier, no soda/pop (home or out) unless there's liquor (rum) mixed in...moderation assumed.

Remember Diet Coke w/ Lime and such? Those just tasted like they needed rum. Think I'll have a rum and Coke tonight, in fact! Been a while! :dance:

My main problem with sugary soft drinks is that if I am going to consume that much sugar I would rather do it in something I really enjoy such as a chocolate brownie, or a good creme brulee. To me drinking cans of sugary soft drinks is like sacrificing to buy a BMW Z4 and only driving it in rush hour traffic.

GREAT analogy. My thoughts exactly, except exchange the brownie for a good cheesecake! (A dessert shop closeby has creme brulee cheesecake. :smitten:)

Remember Diet Coke w/ Lime and such? Those just tasted like they needed rum. Think I'll have a rum and Coke tonight, in fact! Been a while! :dance:
Damn you, now I feel obligated to do likewise. Thanks! :D

Damn you, now I feel obligated to do likewise. Thanks! :D

Ironic that after spending the bulk of this thread bemoaning the evils of sugar, I've now driven at least one person to drink. Isn't that what they say the devil will do? Slowly erode away at the fabric of society, rather than one massive evil-doing?

Maybe my ex-girlfriend was right 12 years ago. >:D

I have made almond milk by soaking raw almonds in water overnight first. Then drain the water and blend in water until smooth. I used 1 cup of almonds before soaking and 4 cups of water. You can strain the grip/debris out if you like, I left it in since the almond milk was used in smoothies. I didn't add vanilla, but you could. I froze the extra for another time.

Rice milk is made the same using cooked rice; 1 cup rice to 4 cups water.

I have made almond milk by soaking raw almonds in water overnight first. Then drain the water and blend in water until smooth. I used 1 cup of almonds before soaking and 4 cups of water. You can strain the grip/debris out if you like, I left it in since the almond milk was used in smoothies. I didn't add vanilla, but you could. I froze the extra for another time.

Rice milk is made the same using cooked rice; 1 cup rice to 4 cups water.

Thanks, that seems like the standard method from my googling. I just checked, our Costco almonds that I assumed were roasted are 'raw' (pasteurized by law since they are US grown, but the labels don't mention that, or I missed it).

I'll try this, as soon as we use up or throw out our remaining quart of dairy milk. Since I'd be likely to use it in cereal, I don't think I'll bother to strain it, I normally throw in a few almonds anyway. DW bought one of those bullet mixers to make smoothies, so that should work well to blend this. Sounds real EZ. And if it freezes well,that would be nice to make a couple weeks worth in one batch, and freeze some. I guess it only keeps ~ 4-5 days, unless you pasteurize/boil it.

-ERD50

I buy the 3 lb bags of almonds at Costco and they are raw. Usually the roasted nuts are salted so it is easy to tell the difference. I roast my own and do not salt them, but save some raw to make the almond milk. I think roasted almonds taste much better than raw.

I have cut way down on sugary soft drinks the past couple of years, but there are two times when I really crave a can of Coke.

1. After working outside in the hot sun doing yard work.

2. When I'm not feeling well. Either a cold, sinus infection, sore throat, upset stomach, anything really. Odd because the sugar probably decreases the immune system. I think I can trace this to whenever I got sick as a child, my mother would give me ginger ale and said it would make me feel better.

+1. And the jury is still out but make sure you research what's known about how your body processes artificial sweeteners, especially those who think it's all simply calories in & calories out.
I drink around 1 can of diet Coke or diet Pepsi a day at lunch time. Haven't noticed any ill effects. Sometimes I'll do water or V8 instead.

I have not seen any info that says this consumption is bad for me. Anyone have a good link to the contrary?

Quest bars are great. Get the chocolate chip cookie dough. I buy them by the box, and eat them on bike rides.

I see no good evidence that diet sodas are bad. The "diet sodas make you gain weight" studies only show that people with weight problems drink diet sodas, but the press always interprets it in the reverse way.

I see no good evidence that diet sodas are bad. The "diet sodas make you gain weight" studies only show that people with weight problems drink diet sodas, but the press always interprets it in the reverse way.

Not so sure about that T-Al. I don't have time to dig up links right now, but I've seen several studies with mice showing that the sweet taste, but lack of sugar, seems to trigger the body to want to get real sugar, and the mice ate more other stuff when they were given diet soda.

You can't fool Mother Nature?

Fortunately for me, I don't drink sweetened sodas, so I'm not motivated to drink the sugar substitute ones. But the ones I have tasted are awful. The people who do drink diet soda regularly seem to learn to hate the taste of regular cola. Whatever you get used to I guess.

-ERD50

...but I've seen several studies with mice showing that the sweet taste, but lack of sugar, seems to trigger the body to want to get real sugar, and the mice ate more other stuff when they were given diet soda.

While mouse based studies are interesting and we share many physiological systems with mice, the human diet is fairly different from that of mice. So a study that says mice eating non-sugar sweetener crave sugar is interesting and should drive further human studies, but certainly doesn't prove anything about humans.

On the other hand, my N=1 study of myself shows that Diet Coke often makes me hungry while water doesn't. So maybe we are mouse like in this regard ;-)

...On the other hand, my N=1 study of myself shows that Diet Coke often makes me hungry while water doesn't. So maybe we are mouse like in this regard ;-)
I generally will drink a glass of water prior to having a diet Coke. Don't know if this does anything other then giving better hydration.

While mouse based studies are interesting and we share many physiological systems with mice, the human diet is fairly different from that of mice. So a study that says mice eating non-sugar sweetener crave sugar is interesting and should drive further human studies, but certainly doesn't prove anything about humans.

Oh, totally agree. But it is interesting, and it does kind of make sense. Certainly we all get hungry when we smell good food cooking, yet there are no calories in the scent of food. But the smell triggers us to want the real food. So I guess I could see how getting a 'hint' of something sweet in a diet soda might just trigger our desire for the actual sweet thing (real sugar).

Or maybe not - who knows? I don't know if they've managed to do this study with humans.

On the other hand, my N=1 study of myself shows that Diet Coke often makes me hungry while water doesn't. So maybe we are mouse like in this regard ;-)

My main liquids are coffee, water, beer, wine - just about in that order too! Drink very few sweet drinks, and almost never drink 'diet' anything. But I'm betting the mouse study actually holds for humans.

-ERD50

Last edited:
I drink around 1 can of diet Coke or diet Pepsi a day at lunch time. Haven't noticed any ill effects. Sometimes I'll do water or V8 instead.

I have not seen any info that says this consumption is bad for me. Anyone have a good link to the contrary?
As I noted, there are at least as many "studies" and articles to the contrary, but there have been several credible studies suggesting diet soda may not be as straightforward as no/low calories/sugar. Metabolism altered, fullness mechanism (leptin) fooled, etc. Here's just a summary article 7 side effects of drinking diet soda - Health - MSN Healthy Living that might lead to other searches if you're so inclined.

Last edited:
The first video spends quite a bit of time on the liver and sugar, the second lecture four years later covers leptin, insulin, and world wide data.

Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology 2009 lecture:
Sugar: The Bitter Truth - UCTV - University of California Television

Dr. Robert Lustig, UCSF Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, updates his very popular video "Sugar: The Bitter Truth."
He argues that sugar and processed foods are driving the obesity epidemic, which in turn affects our endocrine system.
Fat Chance: Fructose 2.0 - UCTV - University of California Television

Thanks, that seems like the standard method from my googling. I just checked, our Costco almonds that I assumed were roasted are 'raw' (pasteurized by law since they are US grown, but the labels don't mention that, or I missed it).

I'll try this, as soon as we use up or throw out our remaining quart of dairy milk. Since I'd be likely to use it in cereal, I don't think I'll bother to strain it, I normally throw in a few almonds anyway. DW bought one of those bullet mixers to make smoothies, so that should work well to blend this. Sounds real EZ. And if it freezes well,that would be nice to make a couple weeks worth in one batch, and freeze some. I guess it only keeps ~ 4-5 days, unless you pasteurize/boil it.

-ERD50

I use the boxed kind occasionally. It makes superb hot chocolate.

I think of it like this:

There is a small chance that drinking water would be better for me than drinking diet soda (note that I dilute diet sodas by 50% and they are plenty sweet). But I am not willing to give up sweetness in my life.

If I weighed 280 pounds, I would view it differently.

I just had a half-full container of Orange Mango Sparkling Ice with heavy whipping cream in it (the classic 40% minimum milkfat type), and boy, was it good.

0001657191031_500X500.jpg

I think of it like this:

There is a small chance that drinking water would be better for me than drinking diet soda (note that I dilute diet sodas by 50% and they are plenty sweet). But I am not willing to give up sweetness in my life.

If I weighed 280 pounds, I would view it differently.

I just had a half-full container of Orange Mango Sparkling Ice with heavy whipping cream in it (the classic 40% minimum milkfat type), and boy, was it good.

0001657191031_500X500.jpg
What a horrible thread. Now I have all these new things I just HAVE TO TRY! Orange Mango with whipped cream - wow - that sounds like one of those orange cream Good Humor bars. Irresistible. And hot chocolate with almond milk? Gotta make some. But I am with you Al, I will sweeten it with Splenda. I know I don't have to worry about the Splenda making me crave sugar -- it doesn't, just more Splenda. I guess I may be destroying my liver or something but what me worry - I read Mad.

Qaq
My main liquids are coffee, water, beer, wine - just about in that order too! Drink very few sweet drinks, and almost never drink 'diet' anything. But I'm betting the mouse study actually holds for humans.

-ERD50

Coffee, water, wine, beer for me. Pretty much in that order. [emoji477]️[emoji97][emoji485][emoji481]

Sent from somewhere in the world with whatever device I can get my hands on.

RE: Almond Milk
I use the boxed kind occasionally. It makes superb hot chocolate.

That does sound good. Chocolate and almonds go well together.

Though we finally have warm weather here, so hot chocolate probably won't be on our menu anytime soon. And while it does sound good, from a sugar standpoint, probably not a lot of difference. Normally, you need to add some sugar to hot chocolate, so with almond milk having less sugar than cow's milk, I assume I'd end up close to the same total amount of sugar.

Regardless, it does sound good.

-ERD50

As for yogurt, it's almost impossible to find flavored yogurt in "full fat"; plain yogurt is still readily available. Funny how they remove the fat, drastically raise the sugar levels, and add some mystery chemicals to give it mouth feel, then promote is as "healthier"...

Yeah, I told DH not to buy any yogurt if the ingredient list contained more than milk and yogurt cultures. Period.

Very interesting thread. I lost 17 lbs. and 2 inches off my waist over a 2-year period by kicking up my workouts a bit and cutting back on junk. I still drink the occasional Diet Coke but am starting to lean towards water with a splash of lemon. I'm 61 and in better shape than I was 5 years ago. I'm very picky about what I eat that's high-calorie and high fat. If I'm not going to relish every bite, it's easy for me to pass up. All those packaged cakes and cookies in the grocery store? Keep 'em. Pretzel bits stuffed with pizza-flavored "pasteurized processed cheese food"? Eeuw. A piece of sheet cake from a good bakery? Yes, and give me a corner piece with extra frosting, please!:D (Fortunately I encounter these only every few months, and back away from the table after one piece.)

And does anyone else have FaceBook "friends" who post recipes that are a heart attack on a plate with horrible processed ingredients? My favorite so far was Peanut Butter pie, made with cream cheese, whipping cream, a graham cracker crust (with butter and more sugar) and a covering of a layer of chocolate ganache made with more whipping cream and melted chocolate chips. One-sixth of the pie had 1,400 calories and 87 grams of fat. I looked it up but refrained from posting that info.

Brown Cow yogurt comes in many flavors and is made from unhomogenized whole milk. I know it's a California brand, but I first started eating it when I lived in Atlanta and I've purchased it in Chicago. I've never had any flavor other than maple or plain, because I don't like fruit yogurt (I like plain yogurt with actual fruit that has been cut up with my own two hands), but there are at least a dozen flavors that I have not tried sitting on the shelf. The little disc of maple cream sitting on the top is the best part. I buy it as an occasional dessert treat, but certainly not a routine meal. They were on sale yesterday at Sprouts.

Back
Top Bottom