Sunscreens: Buyer Beware

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
I don't use suncreens a lot since I'm not in the sun for that long and supposedly a little sun is actually okay, but (if we don't chicken out), we will be going tubing in the river next week. So I started to do some research and discovered that many products claim to give wonderful protection and really don't. It seems the FDA still hasn't finalized standards for sunscreens, so some don't provide adequate protection and others contain chemicals "that may contain health hazards."

Here's a list of recommended sunscreens. Has anyone used any of them?

Skin Deep: Cosmetic Safety Database - Special Report

here's list from national geo's The Green Guide

warning:

nano-sized particles have been cause for concern: Research indicates that nanoparticles of titanium dioxide are small enough to bypass your body's "blood-brain barrier" (a natural defense against foreign substances in the bloodstream) and enter the brain where they can damage brain cells.

i think i'll just keep the top up on the convertible today.

***and don't forget to soap up and shower off before entering the ocean...thank you for your concern***

Last edited:
My daughter uses California Baby for herself and her son. You can buy it at most health food stores .

Moemg, I may have to check out California Baby. Probably more expensive than what I've been buying, but if it's better stuff, may be worth it. Notmuchlonger, may be worthwhile for you to investigate and ditch the Coppertone!

Lazy---interesting AND frightening article about the coral bleaching. In some ways, it may indicate that these products do work----but maybe it's just the toxic breakdown. So sad----that we are, as the author suggests, "walking coral reef time bombs."

Yep. Im going to look into California Baby. I like to walk out in the sun specially during the afternoon.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

I have used Neutrogena UVA/UVB Sunblock Lotion, SPF 45 for several years. Very heavily recommended by physicians because it is effective on both UVA and UVB (most sunscreens aren't).

I have used Neutrogena UVA/UVB Sunblock Lotion, SPF 45 for several years. Very heavily recommended by physicians because it is effective on both UVA and UVB (most sunscreens aren't).

And, coincidentally, heavily pushed by sales reps.

It fared poorly in the study.

We've been happy with the California Baby product we've used, and I also use the Neutrogena Sensitive Skin on a daily basis.

The California Baby stuff can be a little hard to find, but they have a great website you can order from. That's what we do, I hate searching multiple stores when we run out.

Back
Top Bottom