Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
For us now, we spend lots of money on experiences, because they are lasting.
+1 I always thought the object was to buy ('need') less and less 'stuff'.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 02:58 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

This is interesting. I never really thought about saving being genetic before. My parents are pretty frugal and strong believers in saving. Several years ago, I heard my dad say "It's not how much you make, but how much you save that's important." The older I get, the more I understand how true this is. My brother spends almost everything he makes and saves virtually nothing. I try to save as much as possible and spend as little as possible. My sister isn't an extreme spender or saver. We were all raised in the same environment but have different outooks on spending.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:44 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW's parents frugal out of necessity, DW frugal.

My parents frugal, so am I, but NOT sister - though she finally learned late in life. Guess the research linked in OP proves sister is adopted, who knew? I will let her know we're on to her...thanks for the insight.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:55 PM   #24

Interesting, I never thought about it being genetic in origin. My two sisters and I are all financially conservative but no one would call us misers. I always attributed that to growing up near-poor. Now I hear that perhaps it is genetic too.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:54 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
...(snip)....growing up near-poor. Interesting, Now I hear that perhaps it is genetic too.
Yes, I have to agree.....I was born into a poor family. Even my sisters were born poor too. Come to think of it, so were my cousins. Must have been genetic and maybe also influenced by those old eastern Pennsylvania coal mines. No one saved much back then, especially since work was scarce and what was there, paid very little.

I escaped, the rest stayed behind. Compared to many of my well-to-do neighbors and select friends, I still feel poor, even though I am much better off than the rest of the family. Old habits, I guess.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #26

Still, I have a nephew that is a complete financial mess. He's even been sued five times (at last count) by the state for non-payment of taxes, has been evicted and was foreclosed on because he didn't keep up the payments. It wasn't because he didn't have the money, he was just too busy partying to bother with it. Clearly he did not get the gene.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I always attributed that to growing up near-poor. Now I hear that perhaps it is genetic too.
I wonder how many ER participants were born with the silver spoon? I suspect not many.

Why would any rich person need to run FIRECALC?
Old 08-03-2015, 08:09 PM   #28

My savings attitude was definitely influenced by my parents. They were immigrants, and coming from a land were a below the poverty line income in the U.S. would make one solidly middle class in their native land, they knew how to save a stretch a dollar, particularly with 7 kids to raise.

Most of my siblings are good savers - one brother is an severe outlier because he took too much risk trying to get rich quick, eventually lost his house and marriage due to it. But at least he is not blaming others and is taking responsibility on his own to get back on track.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:15 AM   #29

Quote:
Why not? We have had all the stuff we could possibly want. We have had the benefit of disposing of all the stuff our parents clung to. Nobody values it like we did.

For us now, we spend lots of money on experiences, because they are lasting.

Think of when you went to Venice in comparison to when you bought the convertible. Both bring back pleasant memories, but the convertible has probably been replaced by something new. The memory of Venice lives on.

Continue to do both but expect to find experiences take over.
Agree that experiences gradually increase in importance. I am worried that I will get too old even for the experiences? After all what good are experiences if you can't remember them?
Still have the convertible and still love the experiences associated with it. Cheers
Old 08-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Still have the convertible and still love the experiences associated with it. Cheers
DW wanted a new car in our snowbird home. Her choice was a black SUV with dark tinted windows.

(Fortunately, it is a Nissan and will not be confused with the DEA/narcs vehicles, we hope!)
Old 08-07-2015, 07:00 AM   #31

Quote:
DW wanted a new car in our snowbird home. Her choice was a black SUV with dark tinted windows.

(Fortunately, it is a Nissan and will not be confused with the DEA/narcs vehicles, we hope!)
Our second car in Arizona is a SUV. Good practical vehicle but when I drive it's always the convertible.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:51 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I don't have any siblings, but I have been thinking about my extended family. I can't think of even one spendthrift relative down through three generations, in multiple countries, and with different economic backgrounds. We have no silver spoons, no boats and no bankruptcies. We tend to invest in education and real estate.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #33

Quote:
born with the silver spoon?
Spoons, you guys had spoons? ("Luxury", as the four Yorkshiremen would say.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I did go through a phase when I had 4 cars, a 3-car garage, 20x40 swimming pool, enclosed jacuzzi room, room dedicated to pool table, 5000 sq.ft. custom built home on an acre. But I got over it easily so I don't believe it was genetic. Just a phase of life with 2 teen-aged kids and a dog.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:43 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm probably born with a mutation. Can't be adopted since I definately inherited some other traits. But afaik I'm the only one saving/investing in my extended family. A couple of good business people but I think they still spend what they earn. Including supporting their deadbeat kids or siblings.

I did buy a somewhat expensive car - but it was not new and I still have it now that it's been driven for 15 years.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:13 AM   #36

Quote:

Why would any rich person need to run FIRECALC?
Interesting question. Maybe they should more often. Billionaires probably don't ever have to worry about running out of money, but I suspect there are some multi-deca- millionaires who run out. I guess it depends on how "rich"you are and how much you would like to spend. Certainly Warren need not worry.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:57 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I suspect there are some multi-deca- millionaires who run out. I guess it depends on how "rich"you are and how much you would like to spend. Certainly Warren need not worry.
Lost of documented cases. Rappers, Lottery Winners, Heirs and others. Anyone trying to live without a financial plan.