Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Intertesting web site on The Art of Manliness.

When I was in college a group of us learned how to be suave and debonair guys by watching James Bond films. You should have seen the look on our date's faces when they returned from the powder room, and all three guys stood up, pulled out their chairs and waited to sit down until the last girl was seated. It was a good night.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I'm glad you brought this up MichaelB, as it's been on my mind recently. I spend a great deal of time at home sitting at my desk on my ham radio and computer. I don't like sitting for long periods, and often get up to walk around, fix coffee, check the mail - any excuse to get up and walk around.

After you posted this, I remembered how, for the majority of my working life, my desks and workbenches were at standing height. A high stool was provided, but often I stood up to work. I loved it, as I could move around the room much more easily. It just felt a lot healthier overall. So now you have me thinking about a high workbench at home, a standing desk, or something similar. The Victorians were onto something. I believe they were quite popular in the 19th century:

Standing Desk: Its Benefits and History | The Art of Manliness
Hold on. The study didn't compare sitting with standing. It compared sitting with other activities. I suspect that standing will not be much better for you than sitting. In essence "Sitting" is just a euphemism for "being sedentary." So I'm not sure getting a standing desk will help significantly.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Hold on. The study didn't compare sitting with standing. It compared sitting with other activities. I suspect that standing will not be much better for you than sitting. In essence "Sitting" is just a euphemism for "being sedentary." So I'm not sure getting a standing desk will help significantly.
If you were standing in one place in front of a standing desk and not moving, I'd be inclined to agree with you Al. During my years working with desks and counters at these kinds of heights though, I found that because I was already standing, I tended to make more short trips around my work area, and generally moved my body a lot more than if sitting down.

IMO, you've got to work pretty hard at it to be sedentary while standing.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I got my standing desk figured out. I was cleaning th eslide on my C2 and I looked up at my file vabinet and a light went off.

The top of a standard 4 drawer steel file cabinet is perfect for my monitor. I can put a nice rug runner over it from side to side to make it look a little better. I need to rig a stand for my keyboard and mouse and I am good to go. I once had a nice shop, I could make what I need in afternoon, but that is gone for good.

Anyway, I hate to sit so this will be good for me. I little cha-cha-cha in place to keep my circulation going while I read the posts on my favorite site, ER.ORG!.

Ha
Old 04-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of sitting too long...time for me to get up and move around.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I got my standing desk figured out. I was cleaning th eslide on my C2 and I looked up at my file vabinet and a light went off.

The top of a standard 4 drawer steel file cabinet is perfect for my monitor. I can put a nice rug runner over it from side to side to make it look a little better. I need to rig a stand for my keyboard and mouse and I am good to go. I once had a nice shop, I could make what I need in afternoon, but that is gone for good.

Anyway, I hate to sit so this will be good for me. I little cha-cha-cha in place to keep my circulation going while I read the posts on my favorite site, ER.ORG!.

Ha
If that works, you could use 2 file cabinets to support a desk top for a more permanent arrangement.

I'm not much of a dancer, preferring to do the same version of a Bill Cosby dance to everything (even if the only music playing is in my head), but it sure feels good to be able to move around while "working". Movement and zest for life are close partners!

Old 04-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #27

I hope using the laptop while sitting counts as an alternate activity.

DH on the otherhand avoids the problem altogether. She avoids sitting and lays on the rug while watching TV.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
DH on the otherhand avoids the problem altogether. She avoids sitting and lays on the rug while watching TV.
That should count as an alternate activity.

Ha
Old 04-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom
I found that because I was already standing, I tended to make more short trips around my work area,
And to the kitchen?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #30

Quote:
And to the kitchen?
I did make frequent trips to the employee break-room, but only to get (yet) another cup of coffee. I used to drink many of them while working.

However, back in those days, I did put sugar in my coffee, so you've got me there Al

Old 05-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I cobbled together my setup yesterday, and had it available for most of the day. 1)I no longer have to wear my readin glasses to clearly see the screen, as it is now one yard in front of me. 2) I am not likely to spend as much time in front of the computer now, because it is a really different experience from sitting down and relaxing. 3) I walk around much more, walk over to the window to check something out, just pace a bit, whatever, but much more than when sitting. And this last one may be unrelated, but I slept unusually well.

Ha
Old 05-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #32

A few pieces of scrap wood, 30 minutes time, and bingo, you've got yourself a "treadputer."
You'd be surprised at the number of calories you can burn @ 2 MPH.

JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #33

I heard the author today on the radio, I was walking on the treadmill. I walk 1.8 miles for 38 minutes every day and I can't wait to sit down! I have serious problems with my feet so standing is a painful thing to do, I like sitting. I do stand up and walk around throughout the day, I am not sedentary.

Quote:
....researchers determined that watching an hour of television can snip 22 minutes from someone’s life. If an average man watched no TV in his adult life, the authors concluded, his life span might be 1.8 years longer, and a TV-less woman might live for a year and half longer than otherwise.
HA! If this was true I'd have died 4 years ago! I record many different shows on TV and watch them the next day or 5 days later, whenever I get a chance to see them. Fast forwarding through commercials saves about 12 minutes per one hour show so I'm gaining back some life, no? And hey, I watched Nova last week, it was about the sun. I now know that the sun consumes 4 million tons of matter per second every second. Hey that's incredible, well worth knowing even if it cut 22 minutes off my mortal travails. Fugit hora.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I agree that sitting a lot is probably bad. Sometimes I think that the main benefit of long (4+ hours) bike rides is that they simply eliminate more sitting time.

But here's my broken-record comment on the 250,000 subject study. The implication is:

Sitting More Causes You to be Unhealthy

but it is just as easily be interpreted as

Being Unhealthy Causes You to Sit More

IOW, the study says nothing about what causes what.

I just read in paper today in the "Dr. Donohue" column concerning a question about a person who exercises daily in the morning and does little else physically because he is an accountant and then watches tv in evening when returning from work. The inquirer said his wife was telling him that sitting all evening "is undoing all the good of morning exercises, is that true?" Dr. Donohue said there is some truth to it. He said sedentary time has many unhealthy consequences. 1. Raises triglycerides in blood 2. Suppresses production of HDL cholesterol 3. It fosters the development of the metabolic syndrome: a large belly, an unhealthy rise in your fasting blood sugar, a rise in triglycerides and a rise in blood pressure. 4. long sessions of inactivity throughout the day can undo much of the good done by a solitary daily exercise routine. Btw- He suggested the need for activity breaks during tv watching. Even doing sit-ups or pushups during commercials " will do wonders for you" is what he said.
I thought I would pass this on, as it may explain the causes. If nothing else, it hits me over the head. Since I retired, I do eat better and I exercise better, yet I lay around ALOT more. Just got my blood work back and it wasn't as good as I hoped but still fine. My BP also went up a little. maybe this inactivity is the cause as I can lay on a couch for hours surfing and watching sports.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

I feel terrible if I sit all day so it must be something to the article. I feel much better when I go to bed at night and I am tired. Wasting a day also gets me down. Since I retired I find little time to sit as I stay busy. I never knew I had this many things that needed doing. Of course golf has its way of messing up my day, especially when I play bad. Staying active is the key to living a good life. oldtrig
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Unfortunately, a lot of the things I do, involve sitting: practicing piano, reading books, doing computer stuff. But I think I'm going to try to add some more non-sitting things, neatening up the house, more cooking, gardening, building things.

I've discussed how we always lose a few pounds after a camping trip, but there's still a lot of sitting involved (driving, sitting in front of a fire).

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ork-58052.html
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Unfortunately, a lot of the things I do, involve sitting: practicing piano, reading books, doing computer stuff. But I think I'm going to try to add some more non-sitting things, neatening up the house, more cooking, gardening, building things.

I've discussed how we always lose a few pounds after a camping trip, but there's still a lot of sitting involved (driving, sitting in front of a fire).

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/why-does-the-camping-diet-work-58052.html
I made a standing desk for computer work. It seems fine, though I notice that I use the computer less, and tend to print things out and head for the couch to read them. I also tend to read or watch a DVD in the evening rather than web surfing. I fool around standing on one leg, standing on one of those shifting surfaces, anything to make it a little interesting.

I also decided to do better job of house cleaning and keeping my kitchen ship-shape. With no dishwasher and almost all home cooked meals, this involves a lot of active standing, walking back and forth, etc. Just keeping stainless steel looking OK takes a lot of messing around. I also use a 1 qt yogurt container as my compostables container. It is handy right on my countertop, and if I am making a lot of veggies I may have to run it down to the yard waste container in the parking area several times a day. Standing also makes walking somewhere sound like a better proposition, so I may head over to Trader Joe for nothing more than a tomato and a couple avocados. Anything to break up this standing!

Ha
Old 05-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I just went through 48 hours of sitting, laying down, sleeping due to a bad cold and whining LOL ...I feel AWFUL, and not just from the cold. I can't wait to get back to my virtual ping pong and gladiator game.