Thoughts on this medical situation?

I'd love to hear peoples thoughts on this ... She recommended a steroid injection which requires an MRI....
I get the MRI immediatley (Mon) and have an appt to have it read by the doc 2 days later (today). I wake up on Tue feeling better for the first time in a while. Still have numbness but alot of pain is gone. I go back today and the doc tells me I have 4 herniated discs. Some worse than others and she recommends two steroid injections. Now, Ive had a few of these 20 years ago and they were done in the docs office for about $100.

I agree to the injections even though I'm thinking now I might not need them.
Questions:
1) Does this sound like a scam where the schedulers are getting some kind of kickback to use this expensive hospital?
2) Does anyone know if some doctors still give lumbar steroid injections in their office?
First of all let's clear up some terminology. I believe you are talking about epidural steroids. Their long-term efficacy is minimal ("yeah but I once knew a guy/gal..." IOKAG. You definitely want to be sedated if you have them (otherwise very painful for a few minutes and you might jump around) which means an outpatient surgery center or a hospital outpat department. As to this possibly being a "scam" I find that to be unimaginable except to the extent that our whole health care system is so chaotic and irrational.

Sounds like they are not doing a good job of educating you. If my degenerative disc disease symptoms improved prior to the epidural steroids I would cancel the procedure and reconsider if the symptoms recurred. But there might be individual factors that come into play. Consider asking your doctors what your options are now that the symptoms have resolved. Anyway, glad you are better and hope it sticks.

And see my signature line disclaimer.

Somewhere there was a miscommunication. Im not better. Im having back surgery next Friday and need neck surgery as soon as my lower back heals from surgery. I had a neck ESI today to help with the pain until Im ready for the second surgery.

Somewhere there was a miscommunication. Im not better. Im having back surgery next Friday and need neck surgery as soon as my lower back heals from surgery. I had a neck ESI today to help with the pain until Im ready for the second surgery.
I must have misread your situation. In any event, best wishes for speedy recovery from both procedures.

Back
Top Bottom