Tips from a Cardiologist

Not everyone riding those scooters is unable to walk. At Disney, we watched healthy-looking people ride scooters to the front of the auditorium for "Lion King" and other shows, while we walkers had to take the lesser seats. Then the "disabled" scooter riders would zoom out of the auditorium (with walkers getting out of their way), and when we caught up, we found them nimbly hopping off their transport to buy a drink.
I try to give benefit of the doubt, like when I see a person hop out of their car in a handicap spot and walk with no problem into a store. They might have a heart condition or something else that limits the amount they can or should walk. Or maybe suffer a lot of pain if they do too much.

I cannot maintain 2 mph hiking up Mt. Sterling in the GSMNP.
All bets are off when it comes to hills. I've had some 25 minute miles in the middle of a trail race when they went straight up a mountain. Again, that's why heart rate is a better guide, since even walking on sidewalks there's a different between flat and rolling hills.

How many obese people make it past 80? I don’t think very many.

My dad slowed down for various reasons, but he has been underweight, not overweight, before and after slowing down, and it probably more so in spite of reduced mobility. He never used any scooter either. Only a few years ago he started using a cane regularly, and now a walker. He’s almost 90. Things don’t work so good unsurprisingly.

My Dad is approaching the age of 91 and has stage 4 COPD. His breathing is absolutely atrocious and he can't get more than about 15 feet without having to stop and rest. Nonetheless, he refuses to use a wheel chair or walker...he ambulates with ZERO assistance. When we go to the doctors (which is very often these days), he will walk the entire distance. It takes a little while, but he does it. I think he has it in his mind that when he starts using a wheelchair, then the end will be in sight.

heart rate is a better guide, since even walking on sidewalks there's a different between flat and rolling hills.

I agree with this. The advice about walking speed is just a simple way of saying you should get your heart rate elevated in order to call it exercise. Most people are not going to bother wearing a heart monitor, but they can easily time their speed for a mile.

But we're all different. I'm 5'10" and my normal walking speed is about 3.3 mph (18 minutes per mile). But DW is 5'6" and her normal walking speed is a bit faster at 3.4 mph. When she walks a half marathon, her goal is 4 mph (15 min/mile). Still at the back of the pack, but she gets a lot of good out of it.

DW (56) and I (62) walk 10,000 steps in our local mall most days. We have a routine path around and cross inside the mall so we don't bump into shoppers too often. When weather is nice, we walk around the neighborhood.

I just checked my iphone app and our speed is about 3mh and that is not slow. Anything faster, DW would complain about her knee pain. So, I think walking 4mh would require a much healthier body and in an open and flat space.

Oh yes, it's not about "oh, those able-bodied people pretending to be disabled." It's more that people get out of scooters' way. So why not rent one.

I try to give benefit of the doubt, like when I see a person hop out of their car in a handicap spot and walk with no problem into a store. They might have a heart condition or something else that limits the amount they can or should walk. Or maybe suffer a lot of pain if they do too much.

Oh yes, it's not about "oh, those able-bodied people pretending to be disabled." It's more that people get out of scooters' way. So why not rent one.

Besides that, I believe that's one way to get to the head of lines at Disney. Wheel chairs certainly are; a few years ago Disney had to put a stop to the practice of parties "renting" an unrelated person with a legitimate need for a wheel chair so they could pretend to be together and skip the lines.

Besides that, I believe that's one way to get to the head of lines at Disney. Wheel chairs certainly are; a few years ago Disney had to put a stop to the practice of parties "renting" an unrelated person with a legitimate need for a wheel chair so they could pretend to be together and skip the lines.
Was just there 2 weeks ago. They definitely don't allow scooters to skip lines. I saw some going through lines with everyone else, and some parked with the strollers.

Not as sure about wheelchairs. I do remember a guy in a wheelchair in line at Universal, and really struggling to get into a log flume ride, but he made it and seemed to have fun. He very obviously needed the chair.

Scooters don't skip lines, but they get spaces at the front in amptheaters, as I said earlier. Just like wheelchairs. Plus, people get out of a scooter couple's way.

My Dad is approaching the age of 91 and has stage 4 COPD. His breathing is absolutely atrocious and he can't get more than about 15 feet without having to stop and rest. Nonetheless, he refuses to use a wheel chair or walker...he ambulates with ZERO assistance. When we go to the doctors (which is very often these days), he will walk the entire distance. It takes a little while, but he does it. I think he has it in his mind that when he starts using a wheelchair, then the end will be in sight.
We brought my dad to the doctor one day he always wanted to walk no matter how bad he felt. After a visit with the doctor he said he wanted a wheelchair, ten days later he was dead. The doctor had given him bad news he gave up that day, so wanted a wheel chair which he had never used in the past.

Lack of qualifiers in the article lead me to dismiss the whole thing. Too many absolutes.

I suspect the reporter took things out of context to get more clicks.

So, the physiologist is saying that old people who can't walk 3 miles an hour, but go into the forest riding a scooter to shoot deer, probably won't make it out of the forest alive. Man, that's cold.

:LOL: Perfect.

On the sidebar discussion of scooters, back when she was in her 40's DW tore her meniscus and required surgery to correct it. During her recovery she used crutches as much as possible, but when grocery shopping she would use a scooter, as it is difficult to use crutches in that situation. Being otherwise fit, the looks and comments she got from people, both walkers and other scooter users, were enough to make her swear she would never use one of those devices again, we would just have to go hungry. :)

In addition, scooters may not be sanitary... she learned to carry disinfectant wipes and would wipe them down before using, as she would sometimes notice ones where, shall we say, "bodily fluid accidents of various and sundry varieties" had occurred.

Until I hit 65 and retired from our dept I was still finishing the Forest Service required arduous fitness test in around 43 minutes of the 45 minute time limit. So a 4 mph + time for 3 miles with a 45 lb pack.

The pack test is a job-related test of the capacity for arduous work. It consists of a 3-mile hike with a 45-pound pack over level terrain. A time of 45 minutes, the passing score for the test, approximates an aerobic fitness score of 45, the established standard for wildland firefighters.

I still walk the 2 track on the ponderosa for 100 minutes and 5 miles every day, with a 600 ft gain and loss.

Last edited:
Until I hit 65 and retired from our dept I was still finishing the Forest Service required arduous fitness test in around 43 minutes of the 45 minute time limit. So a 4 mph + time for 3 miles with a 45 lb pack.

The pack test is a job-related test of the capacity for arduous work. It consists of a 3-mile hike with a 45-pound pack over level terrain. A time of 45 minutes, the passing score for the test, approximates an aerobic fitness score of 45, the established standard for wildland firefighters.

I still walk the 2 track on the ponderosa for 100 minutes and 5 miles every day, with a 600 ft gain and loss.

That’s pretty darn good grasshopper!

I’ve hiked 1000 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail so far. My pack weighs in between 32-37 pounds depending on the location requirements for food and water carry. I’ve found my average pace to be right around 2.5 mph including breaks. Typical average day for me is between 18-21 miles. Of course, it’s anything but flat.

Thank goodness I don’t have to carry a 45 pound pack. Ouch.

Muir

I warm up on the treadmill at the gym on a 10 and 20 degree incline at 3.5 MPH; bumping up faster from there might diminish my other exercises. Anyhow, when DW and I walk together around our neighborhood, it is definitely less than 3.5 MPH.

Wow! That's a hell of an incline! I have a "power walk" routine I do at the gym but 5 degrees is about as high as I ever go.

I just turned 50. Have been running sprints on a treadmill @ 12mph for 15 seconds on and roughly 40 seconds off. (After a slight walk then jog warm-up) 1.0 incline.

Been doing this for 10 years or so. Twice a week. Yes, it’s exhausting but now this article concerns me.

I’m 6’1, 195-200 pounds and in good physical shape. I do weights and group fitness as well.

Gotta admit, reconsidering things....��

Last edited:
I just turned 50. Have been running sprints on a treadmill @ 12mph for 15 seconds on and roughly 40 seconds off. (After a slight walk then jog warm-up) 1.0 incline.

Been doing this for 10 years or so. Twice a week. Yes, it’s exhausting but now this article concerns me.

I’m 6’1, 195-200 pounds and in good physical shape. I do weights and group fitness as well.

Gotta admit, reconsidering things....

I wouldn’t worry too much...lots of info on the benefits, even in the face of risks.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/01/26/sweaty-answer-to-chronic-illness/

“Too many people think incorrectly that high-intensity exercise is only for athletes, that it’s a heart attack waiting to happen,” Dr. Little said. On the contrary, the research strongly suggests, it is more likely to reduce the risk of a heart attack.

Last edited:
Wow! That's a hell of an incline! I have a "power walk" routine I do at the gym but 5 degrees is about as high as I ever go.

My workout warm up is only 5 minutes with 2.5 minutes at each slope, so need that steep of an incline to get my heart rate up.

So what I'm taking from the advise here is it is better to do less then over do from a risk aspect. Over doing it trying to be bullet proof doesn't do you any favorers but more harm, correct?

Exercise is very important for the heart and over all health but we have to remember the word AGE is what we need to keep in mind and gets in the way. LOL

So what I'm taking from the advise here is it is better to do less then over do from a risk aspect.

Depends what you mean by overdoing it.
You need to get your heart rate elevated in order to benefit. But elevated how much? For most people, a brisk walk for 30 minutes a day is fine to maintain good health. More than that will increase fitness.

Typical guidelines are based on your maximum heart rate (MHR). The way it's often expressed is that at 50% of your MHR, you're in the "fat burning" mode. At 60% you're in the "aerobic" mode. And so on through 70% (steady state), 80% (anaerobic), and 90% (red line).

The problem with those guidelines is that everyone's MHR is unique to them. There are lots of calculators and formulas that purport to tell you what it ought to be, but they can be off by a large margin. Best is to measure it yourself. What I do every five years or so is run as hard as I can for a mile, finishing on an uphill slope so I can't possibly go any more. I take my pulse right then and that's pretty much my MHR.

braumeister >>> thanks for that explanation. I do a lot of hiking each year and hike in tough country. A typical day of 5 hours or so I will hike 5 to 7 miles and have about 70 to 100 floors according to my cell phone. I'm very active other then hiking and if not hiking I put on about 4 to 5 miles a day with some manual labor work from a PT sideline to do for 80 days a year. I do the sideline for the exercise and try to keep in shape. I let my body dictate what I can and can not do.

My mind thinks I am 30, but my body is 55. So I will try and stay with the big dogs on a climb on my bike or my wife and I will do a 15 mile hike on a Sunday for fun. I monitor my heart afterwards and my heart stays elevated far longer than I remember. My resting heart rate is close to 50, but sometimes after hard workouts it takes a few days to get back down to 50. Sometimes it stays in the low 60’s for a few days. That tells me my recovery time is longer. That is something I am concerned with and probably need to watch. I put more strain on my heart for longer periods.

Back
Top Bottom