Trochanteric Bursitis

Z3Dreamer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hip pain-Dr diagnosed it as Trochanteric Bursitis. A shot in each hip (had them today) then I do various exercises to avoid future injuries.

I want to hear from folks who have had this. Did the shots and the exercises fix the problem? Any pointers for me?

My PCP thought my hip pain was bursitis and sent me to an orthopedist. I had the injection in one hip. It helped for a few weeks and then the pain came back. The orthopedist had me try physical therapy which helped but did not solve the issue.

Later I tried another orthopedist who did a proper set of xrays and found hip dysplasia and loss of cartilage. I had a hip replacement.

In your case it's certainly worth trying the shot and the exercises. Start with the non-invasive options and the things you can do for yourself and see if you get positive results. It may be just what you need.

Last edited:
I have had bursitis before, but not trochanteric bursitis. I was diagnosed by a doctor, but the doctor did not offer shots or other treatments.

It lasted for months, and it was very painful. However, it gradually went away and then was gone forever.

My PCP thought my hip pain was bursitis and sent me to an orthopedist. I had the injection in one hip. It helped for a few weeks and then the pain came back. The orthopedist had me try physical therapy which helped but did not solve the issue.

Later I tried another orthopedist who did a proper set of xrays and found hip dysplasia and loss of cartilage. I had a hip replacement.

In your case it's certainly worth trying the shot and the exercises. Start with the non-invasive options and the things you can do for yourself and see if you get positive results. It may be just what you need.

Xrays are so cheap, I find it amazing that they are not used earlier in the process, especially when some of those shots cost $1K each..

OP here. Yup, had the x-rays, which he said confirmed his diagnosis. I quizzed him about what else he saw in the x-rays. Average wear and tear for a man of my age.

OP; Maybe you will be lucky and it will be solved with shots. When my hip went south, x-rays showed loss of cartilage. I was a long distance runner for years and that may have been the cause. Now I have a titanium hip. Worked for me.

I had this problem about 8 years ago. It was triggered by foam rolling over the bursa while trying to stretch my IT band.

I had a shot of some steroid. The shot did not work at all. A new pain developed and just would not go away. The new pain felt like the injection material crystalized and any movement or pressure on the area felt like stabbing pins. This situation lasted several months.

I routinely iced the area, but that did not resolve the problem. I self diagnosed my problem to be a tight IT band causing the IT band to rub the injured bursa.

I became pain free by foam rolling the IT band up to the bursa area. After a few weeks of gentle foam rolling, I was pain free.

Back
Top Bottom