UGH applied for Health Insurance and now an INJURY

wallygator69

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi,

DW appears (yes, self diagnosed using the good old web) to have torn a calf muscle golfing (running while golfing). POP! Ow hop R.I.C.E....

Cobra for past 12 months. Applied for HSA coverage on 12/15.

It's in underwriting with anticipated activation date of 1/1/08.

Haven't paid January COBRA cuz we have a 30 day window prior to cancellation.

Injury 12/28/08. Self diagnoses 2 -4 week recovery. Ultimate worst case 1-100 chance surgery needed...

What do ya do?

Thx

W

I've had a few calf strains in my life. Hate 'em. Was the feeling kind of a combination of the sensation a rubber band snapping or popping (which is really the muscle detaching from the tendon, I think), and of being shot in the back of the leg (intense pain makes one immediately stop running)? And you can't raise yourself up on your toes.

About 6 weeks of rest has always worked for me. The muscle just needs time to reattach. I don't think a doctor will be able to do much unless for some reason it won't attach on it's own. I went the last time, because I wanted to prevent the next one. They sent me to PT because my calf muscles are very tight, and we worked on some stretching, flexibility, and strengthening exercises. So far, so good.

Just make sure it isn't a torn achilles tendon, which would need surgery. As long as its really the calf, I wouldn't worry about getting medical attention too much. The trick is to not start running again too quickly. She'll feel fine in about a week, but within 10 steps she'll put yourself right back where she was. I don't know how to tell for sure when you are ready, but I start very, very slowly and stop if I feel any pull. And have her work on calf stretching. Chances are she'll get this again if she changes nothing.

Standard caveat that I'm not a medical professional and this is based on my own experiences and reading.

A wife who runs while golfing...does she have a sister? :cool:

I've had a few calf strains in my life. Hate 'em. Was the feeling kind of a combination of the sensation a rubber band snapping or popping (which is really the muscle detaching from the tendon, I think), and of being shot in the back of the leg (intense pain makes one immediately stop running)? And you can't raise yourself up on your toes.

About 6 weeks of rest has always worked for me. The muscle just needs time to reattach. I don't think a doctor will be able to do much unless for some reason it won't attach on it's own. I went the last time, because I wanted to prevent the next one. They sent me to PT because my calf muscles are very tight, and we worked on some stretching, flexibility, and strengthening exercises. So far, so good.

Just make sure it isn't a torn achilles tendon, which would need surgery. As long as its really the calf, I wouldn't worry about getting medical attention too much. The trick is to not start running again too quickly. She'll feel fine in about a week, but within 10 steps she'll put yourself right back where she was. I don't know how to tell for sure when you are ready, but I start very, very slowly and stop if I feel any pull. And have her work on calf stretching. Chances are she'll get this again if she changes nothing.

Standard caveat that I'm not a medical professional and this is based on my own experiences and reading.

A wife who runs while golfing...does she have a sister? :cool:

All the research indicates it was a minor tear of the muscle. Achilles is fine and can't feel any gaps in the muscle. It was a pop and then felt like she got stabbed in the calf. Yes, she can bend toes down with no pain but can't bring them up.

Ice did the trick on the swelling and bruising. Little bit of both but I expected much more.

RICE til Monday morning then let her try to put a little weight on it. She is a reluctant patient.

When you mentioned stretching, when do you find you can try moving the toes back and when do you try pulling on them a little bit.

Any feedback on when you started some massage techniques on it.

I read that 48-72 hours is the CRITICAL phase to get the bleeding to stop.

It's gonna be a work in progress any input would be appreciated.

Oh and yes she has 5 sister's and 8 brothers. Good Irish Catholics....Oh and Golf is her favorite past time, then fishing (pier boat beach, doesn't matter), working out at the gym and S3X fits in there somewhere. Oh and she loves watching football and drinking beers...:D

thx

W

My BIL tore his calf muscle recently while jogging. He was in terrible pain for several days and all the doctor really did was give him a boot cast and lots of pain meds. He seems to have gotten better but it still is tender.

He's older and fatter than me and I won't do more than light jogging. I mostly walk "briskly." I've had my knee operated on once and that's enough. The doctor that did my surgery was very athletic. He said he's had his knees scoped several times and he was under 40.

It's gonna be a work in progress any input would be appreciated.

Don't you think that it might be safer from all points of view to let her go to a doctor?

If you are afraid of problems with your insurance application let her take $1000 in cash and tell them her name is Esmerelda Anominata.

Ha

My doc talked about massage but said it wasn't critical, at least in my case. I didn't go to the doc immediately after the injury so I can't say when it can be done.

Likewise with the stretching, she started me right away but it was at least a week after the injury.

Sorry I don't have anything specific, but I don't want to guess.

I should also add, I once stayed home for 2 days with a stomach flu, and finally went in to see the doctor, who correctly diagnosed a ruptured appendix. So take medical advice from me with a grain of salt. But I am saying that I've just rested calf strains before with no long term effect.

Oh and Golf is her favorite past time, then fishing (pier boat beach, doesn't matter), working out at the gym and S3X fits in there somewhere. Oh and she loves watching football and drinking beers...:D

thx

W

Sorry HA more clarification needed.

What you propose would be dishonest, she ain't gonna do it. Sold 2 houses and had to disclose everything almost to the point if I changed a lightbulb. First house we sold ended up in the 100 year flood scenario. Got a few inches of water. 10 YEARS later she still has nightmares...She apolgizes to furniture if she bumps into it and Dawg will like this. A real Bad shot on the golf course and she is known to turn into a real potti mouth exclaiming "OH YOU DO DO HEAD".

OH and as she was laying on the ground in agony (I thought it was just a Charlie Horse) I relized it was bad and jumped in the cart and stared across the fareway. DW sees me and from her back yells at me "IT'S CARTPATH ONLY STOP!"

Wouldn't trade her for the world.

thx

W

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom