Update on Ankle.........

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Injury was on April 12th. Did RICE treatment for 3 days until they put me in an Aircast to immobilize it.

I had an MRI on Wednesday, it took an hour. I meet with the orthopedic guy on Monday. I'll update after our meeting........

I'm a little frustrated because I'm not rehabbing or anything. If he thinks I need anthroscopic surgery, I'm going to push him to do it ASAP. On May 22nd, I fly out to Phoenix with my family, and would like to have my leg be at least "somewhat better"........:p

Thanks for the update FDude. I'll keep my toes crossed for you. :)

Just got a call from the radiologist office:

My lateral ligaments on the foot are torn

My inner ligaments are stretched (sprained)

Possible chip fracture in the medial part of the foot

Cartilage defect near the bone chip site.

He said the "only" thing I didn't do was tear a tendon......:(

Sounds like surgery and a long rehab.......:(

oo FD.. sorry to hear that. Take care and get well soon.

Sorry FD, look at it this way, imagine if you were a horse.

There's gotta be a joke somewhere about an FA with a broken foot...........:p

I got it.........."I hope I didn't Barbaro myself"!!!

If you have any guns laying around the house, get rid of them. Your DW may get some crazy idea.

If you have any guns laying around the house, get rid of them. Your DW may get some crazy idea.

No guns, I'm a bad Republican.........:p

DW has to drive me to work, but I am careful NOT to walk in front of the vehicle in case she has an "accelerator foot spasm"...........:eek:

FD I'm so sorry you got crappy news from the MRI. I was hoping maybe it was just a small avulsion fracture and a sprain. You actually tore the lateral ligaments completely? And to sprain the medial side too - well geesh! Hang in there. I'm really surprised you didn't have more pain than you reported. Maybe the orthopedist will have better news for you. You never know, they sometimes interpret the x-rays/MRI's a little differently...

For your flight, I'd hitch a ride on one of those electric carts...crutches in an airport trying to catch flights is no fun!

Last edited:
FD I'm so sorry you got crappy news from the MRI. I was hoping maybe it was just a small avulsion fracture and a sprain. You actually tore the lateral ligaments completely? And to sprain the medial side too - well geesh! Hang in there. I'm really surprised you didn't have more pain than you reported. Maybe the orthopedist will have better news for you. You never know, they sometimes interpret the x-rays/MRI's a little differently...

For your flight, I'd hitch a ride on one of those electric carts...crutches in an airport trying to catch flights is no fun!

I saw the X-ray. There's a little shadow where the leg bone attaches to the foot (medial??). It seems I chipped off a small corner of the bone, and there seems to be a little bit of cartilage kid of hanging there.

As far as what I gathered, there was NOT a complete tear of the lateral ligaments, just a partial tear. The inner ligaments were sprained, but not torn. No tendon damage they could find, that may speed up recovery............

Any info on why it happened?

Any info on why it happened?

Doing a basketball drill at a camp with my son. I guess I shouldn't be stunned. I have sprained that ankle in the past with all the running I did in college and high school. I am sure there was some weakness in there from past injuries........

While doing the drill, my foot just stopped, and I felt a sharp pain on the top of it. I limped back to the bleachers and elevated it, asI knew I was hurt.

I was able to walk to my car and drive home, as I had a tightly laced basketball shoe on. When I got home and took the shoe off, I noticed a wad of gum stuck on the heel. I wonder if that helped do me in:confused:

What kind of shape were in you when it happened? Run? play basketball? Or did you just jump right in.

Sounds like a lot of pain that stuff hurts. I sprained my ankle terrible one time.

I know you probably want to look macho but you'll be on crutches for several weeks so stop by good will and get a walker . You'll thank me later !

FD,

I severely sprained my ankle playing b-ball many years ago.

Some good news and bad news.

- The bad news: It took two years to completely heal.
- The good news: It did eventually heal.

Good luck,

MB

Sorry to hear FD... I hope you are still young enough to heal quickly.. but I think not...

I guess I missed the post when you said you hurt it to begin with...

We had a guy at work who kept re-injuring his ankle and it took a long time to heal... at first they did not want to do surgery, but finally did...

Hope all goes well...

Why did it take 2 weeks to find out what was up. When I broke my ankle in March I was in surgery the day after I went to the emergency room. Interesting coincidence - I had just returned from a Phoenix / Sedona trip. Good luck with that.

Just got a call from the radiologist office:

My lateral ligaments on the foot are torn

My inner ligaments are stretched (sprained)

Possible chip fracture in the medial part of the foot

Cartilage defect near the bone chip site.

He said the "only" thing I didn't do was tear a tendon......:(

Sounds like surgery and a long rehab.......:(

I had an injury similar to yours about 35 years ago when I was 18. Was running on a trail 4 miles in the woods and twisted the ankle on an outcropping rock and tree roots. Made it back to my car and drove to the ER. Got casted after the XRay at the hospital, saw some shadows but no break. Had the cast for two days when it swelled so bad I was ready to saw the darn thing off myself, had the Ortho remove it. I told him heck if its is not broken no cast and no surgery. Little by little the swelling went down, I was walking on it gingerly for a few weeks but was exercising through the injury. It will get better. Good luck.

FD,

Sorry to hear about the ankle. Best of luck with it. I did something similar in my 20's. Took a long time to heal properly so be patient and do what the pyhsio tells you.

Why did it take 2 weeks to find out what was up. When I broke my ankle in March I was in surgery the day after I went to the emergency room. Interesting coincidence - I had just returned from a Phoenix / Sedona trip. Good luck with that.

I wish I knew. Sounded like some BS to me. When I went to urgent care, the doc did some tests to see if my Achilles was ruptured (wasn't), and did some X-rays. The he gave me one of those air casts where it supports both sides of the foot and let me go. I was able to drive with that.

I got a call two days later saying the radiologist saw some stuff on the X-ray they didn't like. I went in to see the orthopedic physician's assistant that recommended the full boot aircast and ordered an MRI.

They said I needed a week to get the MRI because they had to "pre-approve" it with my insurance company. I had the MRI last Wednesday, and heard about the results on Friday. Today at 2:00pm I see the orthopedic guy. I'm going to tell him that if I need surgery, I want it scheduled THIS WEEK. I can't rehab anything with this full boot cast on, so I am getting frustrated.........:p

Back
Top Bottom