Urolift? Anyone had it?

Thank you. If you hear who "they are" or why the ban please post.

I've been discussing this stuff with my urologist for years due to other problems I've had . My guess is his doctor is more well-versed in / likes doing other procedures. eg various surgeries (TURP, green light laser) or Rezum. Wants to direct patients to what he does.

I just ran into this myself. My personal MD likes urolift. And was sort of non-aggressively pushing that. My research indicated Rezum is a better option. He had no qualms or hang-ups about referring me to another doctor in his practice who specializes in Rezum.

Upshot: I needed neither. My problem is just the "2.0" version of what I've been dealing with for several years

NOTE: For the person who mentioned TUNA: For those with not-big-enough-for surgery-prostates, I just found out that due to the popularity, efficacy, and safety profile of Urolift and Rezum, TUNA and the Microwave treatment TUMT have been all but phased out and are not recommended anymore.

(I wish I didn't know so much about this crap!)

Thanks @raztazz your comment makes sense. It's what I've heard called "if all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail". Nothing wrong with it, sometimes experience is a big plus. My guy is doing the same thing with urolift.

End of day two:
No more scary bathroom stuff. Things are functioning better than before surgery. I might get to sleep several hours at night soon.

Biggest issue is pain, not terrible but well... If a horse ever kicked you in the groin it's kinda like that. Hopefully another 24 hours will help. One problem is not lifting more than ten pounds, pretty difficult to stay in the limit.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your journey, MRG. I'll be interested in your results. I've been on Tamulosin (generic for Flomax) for a couple of years now and the effectiveness is starting to decline. I am typically up 3-5 times per night so quality of life is becoming an issue. My urologist is recommending Urolift but I'd like to get more educated before I jump in.

Thanks @raztazz your comment makes sense. It's what I've heard called "if all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail". Nothing wrong with it, sometimes experience is a big plus. My guy is doing the same thing with urolift.

End of day two:
No more scary bathroom stuff. Things are functioning better than before surgery. I might get to sleep several hours at night soon.

Biggest issue is pain, not terrible but well... If a horse ever kicked you in the groin it's kinda like that. Hopefully another 24 hours will help. One problem is not lifting more than ten pounds, pretty difficult to stay in the limit.

Easy fix do what my DH did after his open heart surgery.. Ten pounds, oh I thought they meant 10 pounds per hand..LOL didn't convince me but you could try it..

End of day three, a lot better. Still some pain but not as bad as the previous two. Tomorrow should be the first with no hydrocodone. I'm scaling down the gabapentin for my cspine at the same time. I don't know if that's smart but I am done with my PCP and don't want to ask for refills on any meds.

@trooper thanks I wanted to help the next person who needed a urolift.

Last edited:
Day seven and I met with my urologist. He's happy with my results so far. I have no pain and my function has returned to better than pre-surgury levels.

Hopefully the next couple of months are even better.

Day seven and I met with my urologist. He's happy with my results so far. I have no pain and my function has returned to better than pre-surgury levels.

Hopefully the next couple of months are even better.

Hope my urologist is proven wrong! Best of luck.

I said I'd post this if I found it. Here t'is. Info on various procedures with the focus on cost. "FIGURE 4" is the most relevant one: https://www.dovepress.com/cost-effe...-treatment-of-lowe-peer-reviewed-article-CEOR

Thanks razztazz - great summary.

As someone just starting down the BPH highway, I appreciate reading others experiences with different therapies (like MRG).

Myself - just cleared postatitis with Cipro, and followed with 3 months of supplements to alleviate BPH. (The benefits of which likely won't last with aging.) Back to one trot each night and sleeping better.

A month post-surgery and all is well. My bladder was stretched for a long time and is slowly recovering. It didn't help my EX-PCP was loading me up with oxybutinin. There's a slight chance of retrograde ejaculation with the procedure but I seem to have avoided it.

If only I knew what it costs.

I have not been to the urologist yet. At what point did you guys decide a visit was necessary? I started at 1X per night, but now it has progressed to 2X. I usually only spend 6 hrs in bed, so those interruptions are becoming annoying. I have still not tried any supplements. Maybe will give SuperBeta Prostate a try.

I have not been to the urologist yet. At what point did you guys decide a visit was necessary? I started at 1X per night, but now it has progressed to 2X. I usually only spend 6 hrs in bed, so those interruptions are becoming annoying. I have still not tried any supplements. Maybe will give SuperBeta Prostate a try.
I originally went to a urologist as my ex-PCP wouldn't treat my low T. In addition to treating my low-T he had me fill out the questions in the attached link. I flunked and he started doing flow tests, they showed I wasn't voiding properly. I'd try with the test and perhaps make an appointment for a flow test if you scored badly.

https://www.webmd.com/men/prostate-enlargement-bph/tests-for-bph

It includes 7 questions about what’s been happening with you over the past month. They are:

How often have you felt like you weren't able to fully empty your bladder when you finished peeing?

How often have you had to go again less than 2 hours after you last finished?

How often have you stopped and started while peeing?

How often have you found it hard to wait to go?

How often have you had a weak stream?

How often have you had to push or strain to start urinating?

How many times do you have to get up and use the bathroom during the night?

Each question is assigned points from 0 (none at all) to 5 (almost always). Your score will show whether your BPH is mild or severe and guide your treatment

How often have you felt like you weren't able to fully empty your bladder when you finished peeing?

A 'trick' I learned online is, when you feel as if you've emptied as much as you can, to use three fingers and press on the base of the scrotum; oftentimes this will result in the ejection of more urine.

A 'trick' I learned online is, when you feel as if you've emptied as much as you can, to use three fingers and press on the base of the scrotum; oftentimes this will result in the ejection of more urine.

Surely this belonged in the "What did you do today?" thread? :cool:

Isn't the internet great?

I only need two fingers:LOL:

I originally went to a urologist as my ex-PCP wouldn't treat my low T. In addition to treating my low-T he had me fill out the questions in the attached link. I flunked and he started doing flow tests, they showed I wasn't voiding properly. I'd try with the test and perhaps make an appointment for a flow test if you scored badly.

https://www.webmd.com/men/prostate-enlargement-bph/tests-for-bph

It includes 7 questions about what’s been happening with you over the past month.

Here is a more complete version of that prostate symptom score:
International Prostate Symptom Score (I-PSS)

Thanks for that info. I scored an 18 which is on the high end of moderate, and mostly dissatisfied with the current situation. I'm going to talk first to my PCP and will see him next week to go over my blood test results.

Thanks for that info. I scored an 18 which is on the high end of moderate

I was at 26 once, and that was a pretty severe effect on quality of life. After in intervention (TUNA) I had ten good years, but now I'm creeping up into the 20+ range again. We'll have to see what the next procedure will be.

I have done a little research on prostate supplements, and bought a bottle of LifeExtension Ultra Prostate Formula. LifeExtension is one of the most reputable supplement companies that I am aware of. Anyhow I took my first pill at dinner time last evening and figured this stuff may take several days of 2x/day to do anything. Nope, slept through the night without my pee breaks. I know it's only one night and this needs to be evaluated over a period of time, but feeling optimistic that this will work for me hopefully for a while.

I have done a little research on prostate supplements, and bought a bottle of LifeExtension Ultra Prostate Formula. LifeExtension is one of the most reputable supplement companies that I am aware of. Anyhow I took my first pill at dinner time last evening and figured this stuff may take several days of 2x/day to do anything. Nope, slept through the night without my pee breaks. I know it's only one night and this needs to be evaluated over a period of time, but feeling optimistic that this will work for me hopefully for a while.

This is good to know I don't have BPH but I do have chronic abacterial prostatitis. As I said on another thread: It couldn't hurt

Back
Top Bottom