Vision Insurance: Any opinions?

cj1717

Recycles dryer sheets
I searched for history on this topic, but would like some opinions. I have never purchased vision insurance before.....but am considering it this yr based on the cost of my last glasses. Any thoughts?

Tks in advance.

DH's insurance included visual for years and the only bona fide benefit was that it covered the cost of an annual eye exam, $75. Somehow (amazing how this always happened) the actual glasses and contacts were always a better deal on a sale price, which the insurance didn't apply to. So unless your insurance is less than $75 a year I'd skip it.

I feel the same way about vision as I feel about dental insurance -- if you can get it highly employer-subsidized, you might take it; if not, pass on it. I've never seen unsubsidized vision or dental insurance that was a good buy.

Last edited:
I feel the same way about vision as I feel about dental insurance -- if you can get it highly employer-subsidized, you might take it; if not, pass on it. I've never seen unsubsidized vision or dental insurance that was a good buy.

+1

For me it has always been cheaper in the long run to self-insure rather than to buy unsubsidized dental or vision insurance.

Agree on the vision insurance - not really worth it. I've been satisfied with Costco.

Agree on the vision insurance - not really worth it. I've been satisfied with Costco.
I get eye exams at Costco (covered by subsidized vision insurance) and I got my first prescription eyeglasses there. Now, Costco may be a good deal compared with other local retail stores, but Zenni and other online sources are much cheaper, in my experience. Like, at least 10 times cheaper.

I haven't been there in a while, but when I was trying to figure out what online sources there were, whether they were reliable, and how to order, I got a lot of useful information at the Glassy Eyes forum: Discussions - GlassyEyes.com Forums - Visit the site! | Google Groups.

I actually have vision insurance.

My reasoning is I really like my optometrist (been going to him since I was a teenager) and go with a lot of options in my glasses (bifocals without a line, progressive light changing, high index -- I think that's called that, so the lenes are thin, a prism to compensate a muscle imbalance).

I know, sounds like a splurge, but my latest glasses plus examination purchase was about $500. Without the insurance the cost would have been over $1000.

Also, I need to say, I love my HSA as I'll reimburse myself for the qualified expenses with the HSA.

The irony though is my eyes feel more comfortable using my older, less powerful glasses than the one I just got :blush:

FYI -- Link to the insurance membership I use: https://vsp.careington.com/
I pay about $170/year for the insurance.

Last edited:
Look, try Zenni for a duplicate pair of your $500 glasses. With many bells and whistles
(hi index/progressives etc) it ought to cost about $75. If you are happy continue to use your OD for exams and over time you will save thousands of dollars. If not, you are out $75. Sounds like a deal to me.

x2, though dental can sometimes work if you actually use the two free cleanings each year. I know Humana has a standalone dental policy that covers preventative 100% and basic 50% after 6 months for about $16/month per person. Two cleanings by themselves would cost more than the $192/year in premiums.

This thread is good timing for me. I have to make my insurance elections today for next year. My wife wears glasses and we just had to buy some for my son last month. I assume my vision insurance must be a good deal? Its $9 / month for both of them. It includes a $10 co pay for the eye exam and $25 for glasses. It also pays $115 towards contacts.

Skip the insurance, buy your glasses online and save a bundle. I've been happy with what I purchased from these two but I know there are others out there:

Discount Prescription Eyeglasses and Sunglasses - 39DollarGlasses.com
Zenni Optical - Eyeglasses, Prescription Glasses, Bifocal, Progressive Eyeglasses, Rimless Glasses

I ordered a pair of prescription sunglasses from $39glasses early last week. Total cost for tinting and high index was $48. Should have next week. I figured for $48, it's worth a shot. I'll let you know how they turn out. A golf buddy of mine buys from the 2 links you reference. He's been satisfied.

I ordered a pair of prescription sunglasses from $39glasses early last week. Total cost for tinting and high index was $48. Should have next week. I figured for $48, it's worth a shot. I'll let you know how they turn out. A golf buddy of mine buys from the 2 links you reference. He's been satisfied.

I'm another convert. I got my first pair of glasses from Zenni a couple of months ago, and I'm very satisfied.

I'm a tough customer, being extremely nearsighted (-7.25 in one eye), which means I need the really high index lenses and I use progressive (no-line) bifocals as well. For less than $90 I got a perfect pair of glasses that is every bit as good as what I was used to paying over $500 for at Lenscrafters or Pearle.

It takes a couple of weeks to get them (they're made in China), but that's only slightly longer than it normally takes from one of the big US sources.

The only drawback I can see is that you don't have the breadth of selection among frames, and I suppose that's an issue for some people, but I was fine with what Zenni had.

Got my prescription sunglasses today and they do look sharp. I bought the one's below and they are very light and comfortable. Might need a slight adjust, but fits snug on my face. For $48, very pleased. Can't say they are the same quality as my local optical shop would sell, but for about 1/4 of the price.......pretty darn good.

Cambridge Sunglasses by 39DollarGlasses.com

Got my prescription sunglasses today and they do look sharp. I bought the one's below and they are very light and comfortable. Might need a slight adjust, but fits snug on my face. For $48, very pleased. Can't say they are the same quality as my local optical shop would sell, but for about 1/4 of the price.......pretty darn good.
Glad to hear it worked out for you.

cj1717 said:
I searched for history on this topic, but would like some opinions. I have never purchased vision insurance before.....but am considering it this yr based on the cost of my last glasses. Any thoughts?

Tks in advance.

I agree with those that trying to get vision or dental on your own is difficult. If you do find an affordable plan, there will be a very limited number of offices to choose from and generally will be very aggressive at up selling your exam or cleaning. Personally, I use a private optometrist and purchase glasses with her. I am willing to pay more for a thorough exam and even though I could save a few dollars over the Internet, I believe it is my responsibility to support those in my community that help put bread on my table. And I try to buy American whenever possible.

Personally, I use a private optometrist and purchase glasses with her. I am willing to pay more for a thorough exam and even though I could save a few dollars over the Internet, I believe it is my responsibility to support those in my community that help put bread on my table. And I try to buy American whenever possible.

I do this as well. I have a friend that has an optical shop and I purchased a pair of Transition glasses from him recently to the tune of $290. They are nice won't work very well(turn dark) when in my car. They do have an extreme version of Transitions available now that will darken inside a vehicle, but they would have cost an additional $200. So I decided to buy a cheap pair of sunglasses over the net to solve the problem.

I too don't mind paying more to help my buddy and local economy. But I don't have to change glasses very often. Some do like a golf buddy of mine. And that can add up pretty quick. So I don't begrudge the one's that do look for lower price alternatives.

I don't have to change glasses very often. Some do like a golf buddy of mine. And that can add up pretty quick. So I don't begrudge the one's that do look for lower price alternatives.

True, it all depends on the need.
The most extreme example I know of is a pilot friend I had where we used to live. I don't remember exactly which aircraft he flew, but I think it was the 737.

Normal, single vision glasses have two prescriptions, one for each eye. Bifocals have 4, and trifocals have 6.

My pilot friend had a pair of glasses he used in the cockpit with 11 separate prescription sections. He could keep his head still and have perfect vision for all the instruments he monitored. He told me that was not uncommon for commercial pilots.

..........My pilot friend had a pair of glasses he used in the cockpit with 11 separate prescription sections. He could keep his head still and have perfect vision for all the instruments he monitored. He told me that was not uncommon for commercial pilots.

Maybe that is why flies have such complex eyes.

I just completed my benefits and I'm paying $114 per year for family vision coverage. It covers $90 for my yearly contact lenses as well as exams and 1 set of glasses for family members..so worth it I guess.

Back
Top Bottom