What do you like on your bread?

I rarely have plain butter but I do have 3-4 pieces of bread every day with peanut butter on them. I am very healthy. I have had a full blood panel done several times a year for work and everything is perfect. Vitals, ECG, BMI all perfect. I don't think there's anything wrong with butter or bread. This is making me hungry. Time to start the oven to make my nightly frozen pizza.

When I was a kid, restaurants served baskets of hard rolls and dishes of butter pats on ice. I still love the taste of real butter on rolls, French bread, toast, etc.. Let the health police come get me. Eat what you want, die when you're supposed to!

I love bread... especially toasted bread. DW prefers wheat... I prefer white. DW likes her toast what I characterize as dried out bread... I prefer my toast medium brown.

We like peanut butter or butter... but sometimes when nobody is looking I simply take toast and dunk it for a two count in bacon drippings instead of butter...yum!

Swiss whole grain. Well toasted. Nothing on it. Very nutty taste.

Once in a while Italian ciabatta or crusty. A little butter, raspberry jam.

Sometimes nothing
Sometimes butter
Sometimes oil & vinegar
Sometimes ham & cheese
Sometimes caviar
Sometimes pate
Sometimes cream cheese, salmon, capers and onion

I could go on forever...

That's hilarious :). My mother put "butter" on everything when I was growing up (she called margarine "butter"). I try to do the same with real unsalted butter, as our house is now a margarine-free zone.

I can remember my mother periodically giving me a piece of white bread with butter and sugar on top, I loved it.

DW's family treat was some nice warm homemade bread dunked in pure Vermont maple syrup... she still does it occasionally to this day. I prefer ice cream with maple syrup drizzled on top.... preferably Grade B which is dark and has a strong maple flavor.

Last edited:
My bread has to be toasted, then slathered with mayo (vinegary). Add some Romaine lettuce, and several strips of $2.99 a pound bacon, for a classic BLT without the tomato.

My Moms homemade strawberry rhubarb jam.
She's 82 and she had me bring her to the field to pick strawberries yesterday. (They hide the bad berries in the bottom of the containers so I can't just buy them at the farmers market for her.)
My back aches today. Hers is fine.

I like a pat of butter spread lightly on warm bread or slightly toasted bread. Just enough to enhance the flavor of the bread, not so much that I am eating a lot of butter. I've never cared for good bread spread with jam or jelly - it is too sweet for my taste and I prefer to taste the bread.

Last edited:
New extravagance is baking our own bread. Our favorite is finely shredded cheese mixed into the dough and then rolling the dough on onion pieces. Then baking. I can't believe it's not butter or olive oil and cracked black pepper go well with it.

Another bread lover - usually bake it at home either in loaf form but often as pizza crust ;)

Bread seems best suited to be a toppings delivery device and nothing beats Skippy - creamy, imo.

Every so often I just crave a good crusty baguette and olive oil (or butter). Pure comfort food. A local bakery makes fresh small-size baguettes daily, not that huge size that is bad the next day (except for French toast!)

I used to make sourdough, but I'm prone to overeating it, so I gave that hobby up. Now I mostly eat the thin sliced, German, whole rye bread.

Although cheese or butter and homemade jam are excellent on bread, a mashed half of a ripe avocado and a sprinkle of salt is not far behind.

No bread, dairy or processed foods. Diagnosed with CVD back in March and I've been behaving with only eating veggies, fruits and lean meats. My vice is some wine or Scotch a few times a week. New blood work in a few months and am interested to see the results. Have had to buy new wardrobe because of the weight loss.

Enjoying life!

I tried vegemite for the first time this Spring. Loved it. Goes well on bread, not so much on toast. Though I understand there are millions of Auzzies who would disagree with me.

I tried vegemite for the first time this Spring. Loved it. Goes well on bread, not so much on toast. Though I understand there are millions of Auzzies who would disagree with me.

Noted in a song by Men at Work.

I love good bread. I enjoy various toppings: almond butter and jam, a slice of melted cheese with a slice of tomato, butter, whatever. A current favorite is toasted rye bread spread with goat cheese.

$2.99 a pound bacon - where do you find that

At a store called Price_Rite in Pa. The brand is Plumrose. They also have other brands on sale for $2.99 a pound sometimes. They all taste great!

Back
Top Bottom