What was Your Workout Today?

Wow! Have you qualified already? It blows my mind when I see how fast one needs to run, and for 26 miles!
No, no...not ME...YOU!! (I did my one and only 26.2 mile plod 28 years ago.)

Calisthenics with spouse again. I'm getting better at pushups and finished three sets of them more quickly.

But the fact that I wasn't dying in there probably means that I'm ready to add a few more pullups, a little more weight to the squats barbell, and maybe even more situps...

10km run Sunday plus 3km walk on the back end to cool down, 5 mile run this morning @10min/mile, plus a mile cool down walk.

@ksr - I've wanted to do a half marathon for some time, and I can do and have done the distance several times, but I always find [-]an excuse[/-] a reason not to sign up. Not gonna try it again until the temp and humidity come down a bit in the autumn...right now its so humid out there that its more like swimming than running. :(

R

Lifted my regular 19.1 tons today. Remember how I rode the seated elliptical instead of lifting on Friday, due to being sick? So, I haven't lifted since last Wednesday, almost a week. It was hard but I did it anyway, without cutting back. I am going to be SO sore. :eek: "Call the doctor, call the nurse, call the lady with the alligator purse."

I hope that wasn't a mistake. Guess I'll find out.

Woken up last night at 0345 by some teens having a party in the neighborhood. Didn't really sleep much after that. Went on a 4K "speed" run this morning. Was almost a minute slower than last week and now I feel wiped out and jittery. Amazing how lack of sleep can affect your performance and wellbeing.

86 stair repeats this a.m.

My bride is currently out picking up two granddaughters....so the rest of the day will be spent in a 'relaxing' mode as we go to the park, play on the rappelling line...swigs...roundabouts....this, this, this, this......

Tomorrow, the zoo.......try and get some stairs in earlier...IF I have any energy left.

86 stair repeats this a.m.

My bride is currently out picking up two granddaughters....so the rest of the day will be spent in a 'relaxing' mode as we go to the park, play on the rappelling line...swigs...roundabouts....this, this, this, this......

Tomorrow, the zoo.......try and get some stairs in earlier...IF I have any energy left.

Nemo, you should change your screen name to StairMaster:LOL:

Nemo, you should change your screen name to StairMaster:LOL:
I also noticed that I wrote 'swigs' instead of 'swings' ........a Freudian slip, perhaps?

(I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.....Tom Waits, IIRC) :LOL:

Taekwondo last night, calisthenics this morning.

For some reason this morning I seemed to be struggling to finish the last 40 pushups... maybe it's the August Hawaii humidity. It certainly contributed to a great nap.

I like Tuesdays, because there's no calisthenics until Friday!

For some reason this morning I seemed to be struggling to finish the last 40 pushups...

Pushups? I haven't done a pushup since I fell off the back of a golf cart and broke my right wrist some 25 years ago. Dropped my med in the process too. The wrist doesn't hurt normally, but just never regained as much flexibility.

Played golf today and walked the dog a couple of times, but nothing strenuous. Haven't felt all that great lately and had a slight fever over the weekend. But none now. Must have had a virus of some kind.

Lifted my regular 19.1 tons today. Remember how I rode the seated elliptical instead of lifting on Friday, due to being sick? So, I haven't lifted since last Wednesday, almost a week. It was hard but I did it anyway, without cutting back. I am going to be SO sore. :eek: "Call the doctor, call the nurse, call the lady with the alligator purse."

I hope that wasn't a mistake. Guess I'll find out.

I found out. Today I only went through 5.5 of my usual 20 weight lifting machines before I was crying "uncle". So, I rode the seated elliptical for the rest of my workout. It's really a pretty cool machine - - sort of like a stationary bike, except that the feet travel on a smooth elliptical path just as they do on the regular elliptical. It's great for the knees.

One hour on the treadmill while watching a DVD of Shameless.

I found out. Today I only went through 5.5 of my usual 20 weight lifting machines before I was crying "uncle". So, I rode the seated elliptical for the rest of my workout. It's really a pretty cool machine - - sort of like a stationary bike, except that the feet travel on a smooth elliptical path just as they do on the regular elliptical. It's great for the knees.
Hmmm - I'm surprised one week made a difference. I suspect it's more because you haven't completely recovered from being sick. Normally, one week break makes me feel much better returning to weights as I have zero residual muscle fatigue. Two weeks break - and I notice the loss of strength.

Hmmm - I'm surprised one week made a difference. I suspect it's more because you haven't completely recovered from being sick. Normally, one week break makes me feel much better returning to weights as I have zero residual muscle fatigue. Two weeks break - and I notice the loss of strength.

Wow, tell us about your weight lifting, Audrey! :) How much, how often, and how much of your workout is usually devoted to weightlifting? Free weights, I assume, since you were fulltimer RVers for so many years, right? What are you lifting this week? I don't think you have said much about it here at all. At least if you have, I missed it. I am always interested in hearing about other women who are really into weightlifting.

Last edited:

Irrespective of illness, taking a week off for recovery every 2-3 months is a good thing to do, especially if you want to keep making gains in your performance. W2R, I would suggest taking the rest of the week off.

Irrespective of illness, taking a week off for recovery every 2-3 months is a good thing to do, especially if you want to keep making gains in your performance. W2R, I would suggest taking the rest of the week off.

Oh, I like your suggestion! :LOL: I usually have to back off on my weights if I miss a week, though; it's always been that way for me, for whatever reasons. Because of that, I try not to miss a week. I am happy with the level at which I am presently lifting and don't care if my performance increases or not at this point, but still I don't want to lose ground like that again either.

Still, my body is telling me I am pushing too hard right now. That puts up big red flags for me no matter what the reason. Sick? Pulled muscle? Who knows although I am concerned that it might be the latter or the onset of another episode of rotator cuff issues I had a few years ago. It always works out best for me to pay attention to what my body is telling me, though. For me, that practice always seems to point towards the best way forward.

Tomorrow is my next regular lifting day so I'll go, and see how things work out. If lifting still doesn't seem wise, then I'll just ride the seated elliptical for a while. If I have to back off on my weights, then I'll be very disappointed but so be it. It sure won't be the first time. :D

Last edited:
Taekwondo again last night, although it was considered a "light" workout because we didn't do any kicking or punching. We mostly practiced our forms, where the kicking and punching is all shadow-boxing instead of hard targets.

I don't do enough forms practice, so this morning all my muscles are complaining that I don't do enough forms practice. Which probably means that I was doing it right.

Pushups? I haven't done a pushup since I fell off the back of a golf cart and broke my right wrist some 25 years ago. Dropped my med in the process too. The wrist doesn't hurt normally, but just never regained as much flexibility.
Personal fears like that keep me doing pushups!

Admittedly I'm getting better. We had to pop off 50 of them last night, and it really pisses off the teenagers when the instructor points out that the geezer three times their age can do pushups better than they can. Which just motivates me to do more pushups...

Wow, tell us about your weight lifting, Audrey! :) How much, how often, and how much of your workout is usually devoted to weightlifting? Free weights, I assume, since you were fulltimer RVers for so many years, right? What are you lifting this week? I don't think you have said much about it here at all. At least if you have, I missed it. I am always interested in hearing about other women who are really into weightlifting.
Oh I've been lifting weights on and off for years (decades). Yes, free weights at home. On weeks when I'm good, I do two days with free-weights upper body/torso using a stability ball as a bench. And I do another 2 days with a more mixed routine (Total Body Sculpt DVDs) that mixes free-weights with aerobics and other exercises. This latter one does lots of reps, and sometimes lots of lunges too! I also cycle (outside) and row (Concept 2). Sometimes I do yoga which has its own strength moves.

And, yes, I can do "real" push-ups. Nowhere near 50 though!

I have to take extraordinary care not to hurt my knees when exercising. The good news is that I've been able to work up to a pretty good rowing twice a week without my knees complaining (much). Gradual increases and good stretching after seemed to be key. Once I get to my 25 min time goal, I might even be able to handle 3x a week. I had a terrible time at first with knee problems. Knock on wood, because what I do each week these days would have had my knees screaming earlier this year. Fingers crossed I don't do something stupid.

Last edited:
So when are the mods going to schedule the ERF crossfit games:LOL:? We certainly are a bunch of exercise junkies and I mean that as a very good thing.

Hill repeats again yesterday at the original venue. More foot/bike traffic around than usual due to the notoriety of the park lately. It was 29 degrees which made it tough. After the first four my legs felt like jelly. At the seventh I had trouble standing still without wobbling and the less said about the 8th and final one the better .. ha
5 km run this morning and 16 km tomorrow morning. Don't like doing 5 days back to back but we are heading north for a 3 day weekend and the only exercise I plan on doing at the outlaws cottage is a little elbow work..

New rowing distance - 3500 meters. Took me 22:43 (mins:secs). My goal is to build up to 25 minutes rowing, and maybe I can work up to 4000 meters in that time. I'm not really interested in going past 25 mins rowing - I figure that's long enough. I can row more often instead.

Of course my husband is able to do 3000 meters in like 14 mins (it takes me 18). His legs and arms are much longer than mine!!!!

Calisthenics again with spouse. I can do my "routine" in 35 minutes, so it's time to boost the weights.

Dawn patrol tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom