What was Your Workout Today?

Hiked up and down Stone Mountain. Did the hike up in 17 minutes (one mile & some really steep parts) and hike down in 12 minutes (jogging most of the way). Then did a fast walk on the 5-mile road around the mountain. Polar FT7 told me I burned 1110 calories, so I'm hitting the Japanese buffet tonight.

You guys are totally impressive! i almost hesitate to write that I finished week 1 of Couch to 5K for at least the 8th time. I'd been walking an hour a day on the treadmill during the summer, but didn't seem to make much difference....

You guys are totally impressive! i almost hesitate to write that I finished week 1 of Couch to 5K for at least the 8th time. I'd been walking an hour a day on the treadmill during the summer, but didn't seem to make much difference....
Success consists not of completing the journey, nor even in the journey itself, but in getting up off the [-]ground[/-] couch.

No matter how many times you have to get back up...

I find that posting regularly to this thread is a peer-reviewed obligation to stick to my workout plans.

hm120826.jpg

DS is buying his first house, and I plan to give him my TuffStuff rack, bar and plates as I workout out almost exclusively at a local gym. I am thinking to replace the rack with a Concept2. How close to an actual rowing experience can you get with the Concept2 in terms of physical effort, cal burned rate and from a mechanical feel perspective?

Can you try one at your gym? We have about a half dozen at my gym so I am thinking other gyms must have a few.

I think the Concept2 is a terrific machine, but then I have never participated on a rowing team so I can't compare. Maybe Ha will have some perspective on that.

I've been walking my <20 lb. dog three times a day, between 1.5 and 2 miles each time. I think 2 miles is her maximum. Today it started raining hard half way through--she's still a little damp but seemed to enjoy the puddles a lot.

Last edited:
My second triathlon is this Saturday, so did my last "brick" on my new Road bike - 10 miles followed by 3 1/2 mile run.

Can you try one at your gym? We have about a half dozen at my gym so I am thinking other gyms must have a few.

I think the Concept2 is a terrific machine, but then I have never participated on a rowing team so I can't compare. Maybe Ha will have some perspective on that.

Unfortunately my gym does not have one otherwise I would have done this long ago. However, my gym owner is merging with another partner and these guys are putting together a really nice new facility which should be ready to go Oct 1. I'll have to ask whether they will have any Concept2s. Once the new gym is ready, I'll post some pics.

Calisthenics with spouse this morning. It was rainy when we started, so as soon as the mauka shower clouds passed over it got hot & humid.

Our performance sucked. Luckily this humidity about as bad as it gets, and over the next two months we'll have plenty of chances to acclimate.

Knocked myself out prepping for Isaac, and then packing the Venza with a ton of stuff, and evacuating. Good thing that I am used to lifting weights, because there was a lot of lifting involved. Weight lifting is a great sport that way, because it makes me so much more capable when I need that. Still, it was a lot of work and I am SO sore and exhausted right now.

On the bright side, although I didn't wear my HRM, by my estimate I burned a minimum of about 450 calories doing hurricane preparations this morning, several times as much as my usual weightlifting workouts. :D Good thing I have been doing weight lifting, because there sure was a lot of lifting and moving or carrying of stuff. However, my yard is "projectile-free", all my patio furniture (including full patio set, grill, stone garden sculptures, etc) are inside, and my Venza is crammed full of [-]crap[/-] stuff I just can't seem to do without. And, I am safely out of the "soupbowl" called New Orleans, now posting from Jackson.

I did have to skip the gym, though. :LOL:

Hope this turns into a non-event, NOLA has seen enough. Stay safe.

Depends on the day. Here's my current workout schedule:

Sunday - Weights (chest & triceps - 24 sets) + 30 minutes cardio + household maintenance (painting, furniture assembly, cleaning, etc...)
Monday - Weights (back & biceps - 24 sets) + 30 minutes cardio
Tuesday - Cardio (30 minutes)
Wednesday - 1.25 hours of Aikido
Thursday - Weights (shoulders & calves - 16 sets) + 30 minutes cardio
Friday - Weights (legs - 16 sets) + 30 minutes cardio
Saturday - 2.5 hours of Aikido + mow the lawn + yard work

I find that posting regularly to this thread is a peer-reviewed obligation to stick to my workout plans.

Absolutely. Today, I spent an hour thinking about walking an hour on the treadmill. Then, I had breakfast.

I'm being a grownup today.

I felt crappy yesterday (a fuzzy golfball glued to the back of my throat) and I've been taking more vitamin C & antihistamines (for their powerful placebo effect). But after reading about a classmate whose exercise managed to turn his minor head cold into a nasty respiratory infection, I decided to take a break from last night's taekwondo and this morning's calisthenics.

Our Fitness Journey: Sick. Drat. And look who's to blame...

I think I'll feel better by tomorrow's surfing lesson... where I'll be bobbing around gargling salt water.

3 hours of kayaking in the morning, 1+ hour of figure skating in the afternoon. A twofer. Love it.

Hill repeat Thursdays again. It always feels like its &^%$^%$ Thursdays !! Hot again, had to do 10. Wasn't looking forward to it, didn't enjoy it, glad its over. Hope Thursday never comes again.

(saying that.. I notice it is making a big difference with my speed during this round of half marathon training. Why do the things that make you better have to be so damn hard ?! lol)

hour on eliptical...920 cal. burnt

going back tonight to do wieghts and run

Did my chest and back routine this morning. What brought a smile to my face was when I weighed in at the gym and finally dipped down below 200 lbs for first time this year at 198 lbs. Thats a 9 lb loss from the end of July and am now starting to see the muscles underneath standing out more noticeably. Also, BP is much improved to 110/70, down from 125-130/80. This was totally due to reducing carbs, as I haven't changed the exercise frequency or level of intensity at all.

Goal is to get down to about 185 with about 12% BF. Once I retire, I will increase intensity and frequency and continue to improve the nutrition plan.

Wednesday's surfing lesson was not a bad idea, but it wasn't such a good idea either. I spent the entire rest of the day chugging decongestants. No taekwondo at all this week.

I'm finally recovered from whatever that respiratory virus was, so yesterday spouse and I did another session of calisthenics. Then last night we finished yanking out some old/diseased gardenias with lots and lots of roots.

Today is another "vigorous yardwork" day of weed-whacking the back slope and filling our green waste cans.

Last edited:
One thing is for sure. With all the hurricane stress and not working out, all those aches and pains of aging are back with a vengeance! I feel like I'm 94 instead of 64. Looking forward to working out again.

Stress is a killer, as I am sure you are well aware. Try not to get too upset about the hurricane. At least it did not wipe out much of the city, and if some soggy carpet is the worst of it, you did well.

I run hot and cold with my exercise program. When I travel I struggle to maintain discipline and last week I was working through a cold that I brought back as a souvenir from my latest trip. Got back on the horse today with a 7 mile hike at between 9 and 10k of altitude lugging a 20 pound pack and a revolver. We climbed some big ass hills and I am beat, but it feels good to get some exercise.

I am getting to the point that a major motivation toward ER is to get out of the cube, with its forced lack of activity.

Reactions: W2R
Does shopping at the Tuscaloosa, Alabama K-Mart with F count? .

Of course it counts. In lieu of the treadmill, I trudged through two malls today. I think a person can use up a lot of calories trudging. And, I was carrying bags of clothing in both hands, so even more calories were burned.

DS is buying his first house, and I plan to give him my TuffStuff rack, bar and plates as I workout out almost exclusively at a local gym. I am thinking to replace the rack with a Concept2. How close to an actual rowing experience can you get with the Concept2 in terms of physical effort, cal burned rate and from a mechanical feel perspective?
Very close. All the universities use them, even for classifying their rowers as to power output. That is why it has been called the Erg since its introduction.

What is different is oar handling and the skills of balance and dealing with water conditions.

One of my sons bought another type about the same time I bought my C2 last fall. He has stopped using his, but I am nearing 2,000,000 meters on mine. It is not like being on the river or Lake. You are not enjoying the weather and sky and the unique aesthetic experience of being part of a crew on the water. But for an exercise machine, it is great, if you enjoy the rowing motion and rhythm. Upkeep is very simple. Once every six months I oik the chain, and every day when I finish rowing I clean the rail with Simple Green and a towel. That is all. Oh, and change the battery in the computer when it craps out. Fortunately there is some sort of backup power that keeps your distance record.

If you have a covered outdoor space, that can be more fun than indoors, and you do not get overheated.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom