What was Your Workout Today?

Dawn patrol. I think there should be an extra calorie bonus for windchill.

Don't know how some of you do all those exercizes.
In my 20s I worked out to stay in shape-- and to attract hot chicks.
In my 30s I worked out to keep up with the Navy's physical fitness test-- and to [-]attract hot chicks[/-] please my spouse.
In my 40s I worked out to get better at surfing-- and to keep up with my kid.
In my 50s I'm working out because too many of my age group are dropping dead of strokes & heart attacks.

Every time I make the time, afterward I'm glad I've made the time. But I like the calisthenics/weights workouts to be about 45 minutes, taekwondo to be less than 90 minutes, and surfing to be... a couple hours at least.

1. Did my usual 2-mile walk with the dog first thing this morning.
2. Did my chin-ups before taking shower.
3. Mowed the lawn (push mower).
4. Raked up lawn clippings, and hauled them to garden (I use them as mulch in the garden).
5. Did some more garden work - weeding, watering, spreading the mulch, etc.

That's about enough for today. Sometimes I walk the dog a second time in the afternoon, but the garden work took the place of that today.

RAE

Completed my usual routine, detailed in post #10, except for the seated elliptical. The seated elliptical is new at my gym, but so popular! They were all busy. The gym was almost empty due to the holiday, which was wonderful. In contrast the level of AC there was less than wonderful today, but c'est la vie. Overall, an enjoyable workout. I felt strong and tried increasing the weights on several machines so I guess I'll see how that feels later.

The gym was more crowded today, but like Monday I completed my routine in post #10 including the stretches and all 19 weight machines. Again I couldn't get the seated elliptical and I have about dropped it from my routine. The weights were set at an average of 71 pounds per machine, so that comes to a total of 13.5 tons (19*20*71/2000 = 13.5). Makes me feel like I am making progress. I have some more work to do if I am to get back to the weight I was lifting last summer.

Overall I felt great and had a spring in my step on the way out.... :D

Oh, man, I could never do all that on a regular basis. I just get bored too easily. Good for you.
T-Al, I was thinking about your boredom comments today while I was working out, and wondering, "Why am I not bored?" I think the answer is that I am so focused on my form and my breathing. My mind is able to clear and I am trying to do each rep better than the last. It's almost like dancing in that respect, for me (not that I'm much of a dancer, but you probably get the idea). I have only been lifting a few years, so I am still perfecting the art, so to speak. If I had been lifting for many years, like probably you and some others here, I might be bored I suppose.

Last edited:
I think that whenever I have a task with a set number of things to do, or a set number of miles to ride or drive, I tend to count them off, and that contributes to the boredom. I even get bored getting dressed. There's something wrong with me.

I can get into a Rocky frame of mind, but I don't think that would get me through 19 exercises.

BTW, you really need to make it an even 20. Definitely, definitely. Definitely twenty exercises.

I think that whenever I have a task with a set number of things to do, or a set number of miles to ride or drive, I tend to count them off, and that contributes to the boredom. I even get bored getting dressed. There's something wrong with me.

I count the reps silently or whispering, but still not bored. How odd! I sometimes get bored when I am looking at the clock on a machine, which is partly why most cardio machines seem to bore me. Counting to ten does not take long, but a half hour on a cardio machine is a long time.

TromboneAl said:
I can get into a Rocky frame of mind, but I don't think that would get me through 19 exercises.

:2funny: I feel like Rocky when I do the biaxial chest press, but that's about it. I do one arm at a time on that one alternately (counting both together as one rep) and it's almost like a punching movement. The rest of the machines are more like dance.

TromboneAl said:
BTW, you really need to make it an even 20. Definitely, definitely. Definitely twenty exercises.

I know! Great Minds Think Alike and I have been trying to think of a 20th machine for a couple of years. After all, there are dozens of machines there and I have 20 fingers-and-toes so 20 seems like a nice, round number. Hmmm!

Last edited:
I am feeling pretty good about my work-outs since retiring 7 days ago.

50 minutes of cardio at my 9.99/month gym (10.51 with tax). DD gave me a Nook for Mothers Day and the time goes by so much more quickly.

Then, on to the weight machines. Only two times in my life do i remember folks commenting on how "fit" i look. The first was about 20 years ago when i was following advice in a Joyce Vedral book - reverse pyramids or some such thing. I am trying that again, as best as i can remember, and hoping it works. 12 reps at a comfortable weight, 10 at a challenging level, and 8 reps where I can hardly stand it.

If i posted photos now, you would say, NO WAY i am following that advice! :LOL: Maybe in a few months it will pay off and i can report back.

I am so loving retirement - can go to the gym when it is MUCH less crowded.

Surfing!

Actually I was giving surfing lessons, so I was really just swimming around in the water with boogie-board fins and pushing boards into waves. But cheering and pumping your arms has to count, too, just as does burning calories to stave off hypothermia...

I'm still going to taekwondo tonight, but a friend is visiting there from the Mainland so we might do more yakking than kicking.

I think the answer is that I am so focused on my form and my breathing. My mind is able to clear and I am trying to do each rep better than the last.
"Zen and the Art of Pumping Iron".

I stay very focused on the count. By my rules, if I lose count then I have to reset to where I drifted off.

I know! Great Minds Think Alike and I have been trying to think of a 20th machine for a couple of years. After all, there are dozens of machines there and I have 20 fingers-and-toes so 20 seems like a nice, round number. Hmmm!
Try something that doesn't involve a machine. With the time you've invested in machines, you're ready to try some free weights.

Like situps on an incline*, perhaps while holding a weight to your chest.

* I mean the incline where your head is lower than your feet!

Nords said:
"Zen and the Art of Pumping Iron".

That is what it feels like, if there is such a thing.

Nords said:
I stay very focused on the count. By my rules, if I lose count then I have to reset to where I drifted off.

Me too, I guess. Anyway, I mutter/whisper the count so I can't lose count. Either that or I think the count LOUDLY in my head. :LOL:

Nords said:
Try something that doesn't involve a machine. With the time you've invested in machines, you're ready to try some free weights.

Like situps on an incline*, perhaps while holding a weight to your chest.

* I mean the incline where your head is lower than your feet!
I'm a little scared of free weights, because I have read they have more potential for injury than the machines. I don't think I am ready for that sort of thing yet. But I'll think about it, FWIW..... :).

Last edited:
ohyes said:
I am feeling pretty good about my work-outs since retiring 7 days ago.

50 minutes of cardio at my 9.99/month gym (10.51 with tax).
What a great price! Wow!

Last edited:
Then, on to the weight machines. Only two times in my life do i remember folks commenting on how "fit" i look. The first was about 20 years ago when i was following advice in a Joyce Vedral book - reverse pyramids or some such thing. I am trying that again, as best as i can remember, and hoping it works. 12 reps at a comfortable weight, 10 at a challenging level, and 8 reps where I can hardly stand it.

I always pyramid up on some of my core lifts like the bench press. You might also want to try pyramiding back down (reverse), but each time you take some lbs off try to do as many reps as you can (to failure). You'll be amazed at how light everything feels when doing those reverse pyramids, and don't forget, persistance will definitely pay off.

Did a one hour "mountain" bike ride this morning, stopped half way through to do 39 chinups, equal to my new age. Then tried to bike home without using my arms because they felt like wet noodles.

Swam 1 KM in 35 minutes in the pool - .625 miles - 20 laps. Then a good soak in the whirlpool.

I walked "heart attack hill" in my neighborhood. It is a paved path through oak covered hills up to a water tower. I try to do it everyday, but some days I get caught up in other stuff and then it gets too hot to go (for me).

I also have started lifting hand weights to tone my upper arms. I haven't done that yet today.

I don't remember all the machines - I just do whatever the heck is listed on my blue card. Plus 30 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical what ever is available. Senior Center - vary between MWF or TTS - have yet to figure out when the hot young 65 year olds workout.

:D

heh heh heh - sometimes do the park - 6 mile walk - there the scenary is varied and much more interesting. :rolleyes:

DW signed us up for a Boot Camp: Hard Exercise Works
It's been 5 days since we started.
I think it's overpriced for what it offers, but so far I'm enjoying working out with DW and this style of exercise provides her additional motivation.

I had an "I am definitely too old for this" surf session. Big waves and essentially no rides. The whole time was spent battling the elements. Great workout, though.

Afterward, I sunbathed in the sand in my speedo.

Yesterday? Surfing and taekwondo. My Mainland friend never showed at the dojang so I ended up doing a full workout.

Today? Ibuprofen & pizza.

Yesterday: 35 mile hilly bike ride. My legs are in good shape from all the cycling I do but I've decided the rest of my body is in pretty sad shape. I'm not following any set routine, but I started doing push-ups and planks in the house whenever I think of it, and outside I do chin-ups or pull-ups on an old swing set whenever I walk by it.

Today: I'll probably catch up on yard work before it rains again. It's a big yard so that always gives me a good workout.

Went out for a hilly ride this morning. I cycle three mornings a week with a small group. They're all 20-30 years younger than I am, so I really have to be careful to take it easy on them. Haha! :D Actually, biking with youngsters really inspires me to push myself harder than I would on my own or with other 67 year olds.

Two days a week I hike on trails up the mountainside with another group of friends. We make it an aerobic experience. I've been mapping the trails with my GPS. Here's what some of them look like on Google Earth...

Attachments

• Trails on west side 3D.jpg
    Trails on west side 3D.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 20
Went out for a hilly ride this morning. I cycle three mornings a week with a small group. They're all 20-30 years younger than I am, so I really have to be careful to take it easy on them. Haha! :D Actually, biking with youngsters really inspires me to push myself harder than I would on my own or with other 67 year olds.

Two days a week I hike on trails up the mountainside with another group of friends. We make it an aerobic experience. I've been mapping the trails with my GPS. Here's what some of them look like on Google Earth...

Wow, what an amazing place to live. I had to look it up from the latitude and longitude:

Nevis.jpg

Back
Top Bottom