Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #821
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wasn't going to exercise today but went to the gym later this morning anyway. I went 6.25 miles on the elliptical then home for a chocolate protein shake with banana, greek yogurt, and almond butter. 10 minutes later my wife came home with a surprise lunch and a slice of chocolate cake. I guess I better go back tomorrow.

Cheers!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2013, 12:37 AM   #822

Wednesday was a good exercise day. I did an hour and a half of yard work, biked for 15 miles, slow walked for about an hour and went through P90X back and biceps two times. Thursday will be bike riding and walking for about an hour and a half of each.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #823
Recycles dryer sheets

1.2 mile swim and 50 miles on the bike yesterday 1 mile swim and 7 mile run today..
Old 04-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #824
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

XYZ, you'll do great with the tri you are training for!

R
Old 04-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #825
Recycles dryer sheets

1 hour of yoga at lunchtime in the co gym.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #826

Yesterday: 5k run plus about a mile walk to cool down in the morning, then a 2 mile stroll in the evening. This morning my knee was bothering me a bit, so DW and I went for another 2 mile stroll instead of trying to run. Tomorrow we fly back to the mainland, but I'm hoping the knee cooperates and lets me get one last tropical 5k before heading home.

R
Old 04-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #827
Recycles dryer sheets

Swam 1 mile Ran 7 miles and Biked 50 today.. Life is good !
Old 04-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #828
Recycles dryer sheets

20 mins on the stairmaster, 15 on the treadmill and about 15 with free weights.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #829

A 40-minute brisk walk by the sea promenade. Feeling lazy today.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
A 40-minute brisk walk by the sea promenade. Feeling lazy today.
That sounds refreshing vs being in the gym with a bunch of other sweaty guys
Old 05-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #831

Since I'm a man of leisure now, plan to start a new workout routine next week. Have been doing a 3 day split, chest/back, shoulders/arms, and legs. Will change it up to two heavy days, upper, then lower, followed by an aerobic/hit day, and then two high volume days, upper, then lower at lighter weights. I am hoping to cut about 10+ lbs and not lose muscle or strength.

Previously, I limited my cardio to a 5 minute warm-up on an elliptical. Today did 30 minutes on treadmill, alternating between fast walk/jog/21 degree incline walk + 3x15 25 lb medicine ball slams and 3 rounds on the heavy bag. I was drenched, but felt great. This afternoon, need to prune the backyard shrubs
Old 05-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #832
Administrator

That was a great workout, DFW_M5! One of the best things about retirement is having plenty of time to work out.

I am still taking it easy due to throwing my back out on the 19th. It doesn't hurt any more, but my instincts are to baby it a little for now. I cut back on my weights a lot and it seems prudent to increase them slowly. So many machines use the back. Anyway, Monday I lifted 15.3 tons, which is less than before but more than I could do a week ago. Going to lift weights again later this afternoon. Edited to add: 16.7 tons this afternoon.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #833
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I haven't been able to use my ministepper for a week now (injured big toe). I really miss doing it.
I have compensated by doing leg lift exercises while seated or lying down.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #834
Recycles dryer sheets

25 mile bike ride today followed by a 3 mile run and 2 miles in the pool... I have lost a total of 90 pounds now and I am 3 pounds short of my goal weight. Early Retirement is the best thing I could have done for my health! Having the extra time to exercise has been fantastic !
Old 05-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #835

Played my first game of Sr Softball yesterday morning, and pulled my hamstring pretty severely on my third hit of the day running to 1st base. I always wondered why so many Pro athletes are injuring their hammies given all the conditioning that they do, and then are out of action for quite a while afterwards. Now I know. I'm no pro athlete, but given all my gym work, my legs are probably my greatest strength, so I certainly did not contemplate this happening, but I suppose the cold temps and wind chill yesterday in North Texas were contributing factors, plus perhaps insufficient warmup/stretching. It hurts like hell and I can barely bend over to put my socks on. Have been using the RICE approach + Aleve and may go to the gym this afternoon and get on their vibrating machine which is good for blood flow and may try some foam rolling. Anyone have any other secretes for recovering from a hamstring pull (at least I hope its only a pull and not a tear)?

This certainly is not the way for one to start their first week of retirement
Old 05-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #836
Administrator

How crummy, DFW_M5! The RICE approach is what first came to mind (especially lots of rest and ice) and that should help. When you are at the gym, you might be able to find some machines that don't use the legs. Here's one that they have at my gym:

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #837

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
How crummy, DFW_M5! The RICE approach is what first came to mind (especially lots of rest and ice) and that should help. When you are at the gym, you might be able to find some machines that don't use the legs. Here's one that they have at my gym:
Thanks, I'll have to concentrate on upper body, at least, exercises that don't use much leg involvement, and maybe some walking on treadmill or perhaps some low tension cycling. Hope my legs don't atrophy too much.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #838
Administrator

The sooner they get better, the sooner you can get back to your usual exercise routine. So, good luck with RICE and take it easy when you can! I detest injuries and recovering from their negative effects on my weight lifting.

Speaking of which, today I lifted 16.7 tons again. In a month or so I should be back to where I was with the weights before throwing my back out. I am happy about that. Even better, my back seems to be back to normal and does not hurt at all. It was a strenuous workout for me this time, so I am glad that I do not plan to lift again until Monday.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #839

I don't recall if I mentioned it, but I'm enjoying my new Polar heart rate monitor, bought based on prior experience with the brand and recommendations right here (I think) in this thread.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #840
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I don't recall if I mentioned it, but I'm enjoying my new Polar heart rate monitor, bought based on prior experience with the brand and recommendations right here (I think) in this thread.
That's great! I like mine, too. It is very motivating.

Lifted 16.7 tons Monday, and 16.8 tons yesterday. Today I went for a nice air conditioned bike ride (on my exercycle).

- - H. Melville, 1851