What was Your Workout Today?

2.5 hour Lake Effect Snow W*rkout...it's all the rage in upstate NY. :cool:

I can remember my frequent trips to Camillus, NY back in the 70s and it seemed to snow on every trip, so I assume you are getting in at least 3 snow workouts a week:D

As I do nearly every day, today will be a NordicTrack encounter. Up to 41 minutes with the leg and arm resistance up as high as it will go. Yesterday I substituted a 5 mile dog walk. After hitting 218 lbs I've been down to my high school weight of 162 for about 10 years.

I can remember my frequent trips to Camillus, NY back in the 70s and it seemed to snow on every trip, so I assume you are getting in at least 3 snow workouts a week:D
Lake Effect Snow W*rkout Phase II...
I cleared off the back steps and a path to the generator under the outside porch, for future reference. Light fluffy snow is so much easier to clear than when it gets packed down.
My arms and back feel just fine. It feels wonderful to be able to get out there and do that task. A sure cure for cabin fever. :dance:
Heavy winters require daily shoveling. I do more pushing it along than lifting. It's all in the Physics. :cool:

I live very close to that bright yellow spot on the snow depth map for central NY.
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphics/snowmaps/html/snow_depth.html

Last edited:
Cleared 2" of snow with DW from our driveway and the next door neighbor's. It is the light fluffy stuff you can just push with the shovel so it wasn't worth getting the snow thrower out for. Not quite the gym workout I was going to do but it will suffice for now.

So far, so good. Sometimes the first day back after the holidays is the toughest for me and I'm hoping that by now I am done with all the pain.

Ah, hope springs eternal, doesn't it. Now, the day afterwards, I'm definitely sore. Not as sore as last Friday or Saturday, but ow ow ow. :'(

This too shall pass.

After a few long layoffs from lifting weights in the past I have made the mistake of starting out with heavier weights than I should have. A few times I have been unable to brush my teeth because my arms were so sore and stiff that I couldn't get the toothbrush in the vicinity of my mouth. My most recent return to weightlifting has been much more prudent. :)

After a few long layoffs from lifting weights in the past I have made the mistake of starting out with heavier weights than I should have. A few times I have been unable to brush my teeth because my arms were so sore and stiff that I couldn't get the toothbrush in the vicinity of my mouth. My most recent return to weightlifting has been much more prudent. :)

Hey, I thought I WAS being prudent! :LOL: Oh well. Guess I screwed up. :duh: I'm sure I am mostly done with the sore muscles since it isn't as bad after yesterday's workout, as it was after Friday's. I've been lifting weights regularly for over a decade and haven't ever been as sore as I was last weekend.

Last edited:
Caught a bug right after Christmas and stayed out of the gym for ten days. Back in the gym yesterday for leg day and started out strong and with good form. Did a ton of squats and felt great, but when I started doing leg presses I started to feel it. A long layoff is tough to recover from - I felt like I had never worked out in my life.

A long layoff is tough to recover from - I felt like I had never worked out in my life.

I was just remarking on that to one of the staff folks at the gym today. We skipped a day over the holidays and another one yesterday because of the snow. I felt like it put me back at least a month. It's amazing how fast the atrophy sets in.:(

After not doing a decent workout for a couple of weeks over the holidays, I have been battling to get back to where I was. On Monday I wrote,
Lifted 16.8 tons on my usual machines, against my better judgment. Last Friday's workout that left me very painfully sore, mad at the world because of the pain, and generally miserable all weekend, was only 15.1 tons on the same machines.
Today, I finally got back to about where I was; 18.1 tons on the same machines. I don't think I am going to be anywhere near as sore as I was over the weekend. I have only been "good sore" for the past couple of days, really no more than usual.

For me, the first workout after being away from the gym is awful even if I back off a bit, but afterwards I can increase a lot faster than usual in getting back to where I was. Thank goodness for that. I am not sure what I will feel like this coming Friday, but if necessary I can do something else at the gym. Oh, speaking of which, after lifting today I rode on the seated elliptical for a while at a low resistance setting, to cool down.

Last edited:
I was just remarking on that to one of the staff folks at the gym today. We skipped a day over the holidays and another one yesterday because of the snow. I felt like it put me back at least a month. It's amazing how fast the atrophy sets in.:(
The good thing is that you'll regain your strength quickly, but that first workout is murder!

Power shoulder workout today. Only two exercises, but they were brutal. Explosive power using barbell presses, followed by pure power using seated dumbbell presses. Tomorrow I'll go back to two-a-days with cardio in the morning and upper body in the afternoon.

3 Mile run followed by a 52 Mile bike ride... Been a while since posting but still at it.. Been running a minimum of 26 miles a week and biking 150 miles a week

18.6, and not sore at all for several days. After being so miserably sore last weekend, it's great to be used to my regular routine again! :dance:

Still trying to find the right balance between cardio and weight training. Doing both during the same workout session really detracts from the intensity I can dedicate to either one. I have spent some money recently on supplements - I will find out this week if they succeed in boosting my energy level.

Other than kicking butt in my upcoming half marathon, my next "big" goal is to get body fat % down from current 20% to 10-15% in time for Summer beach season. ;)

Still trying to find the right balance between cardio and weight training. Doing both during the same workout session really detracts from the intensity I can dedicate to either one.

Oh boy, I can sure relate to what you are saying! I can't even count the times when I have planned to do both, but after finishing one was just bushed and just couldn't put my full effort into the other.

I finally decided that no matter which I do, it's better than doing nothing. I love weight lifting but still try to fit in some cardio too.

Maybe I'll do cardio first today. Headed off for the gym shortly.

I ALWAYS do cardio before weights. When I was in my extreme fat burning mode (on my way to losing 50 lbs) I was doing 1.5 hours of hard cardio. I was pretty much done. I would shamble over to the strength training area and do some token bicep curls and some barbell work. The only thing I did manage to achieve well was to leave my sweat all over the equipment...

This week (I leave for the gym in an hour) I am going to try 45 minutes of cardio (bike and treadmill) and then some extensive strength training.

1.5 hours of hard cardio. I was pretty much done. I would shamble over to the strength training area and do some token bicep curls and some barbell work. The only thing I did manage to achieve well was to leave my sweat all over the equipment....
Yeah, that seems to be what most of the other women do at the gym. They do an admirable amount of cardio first and then just lean on the weight machines and talk to each other. :LOL: I'm on the other end of the spectrum; I love lifting weights and do that first, and then my cardio time afterwards sometimes turns into more of a cool down than anything. :blush: So I try to do cardio first now and then.

Weights only today. Cardio tomorrow. Then I'm going to amp up workouts through the end of March. I haven't had a physical in ten years - I plan on having one in 2015 and I want to be in shape for it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

The best kind of cardio for me is sprinting (HIT). It also has a lot in common with resistance training in that it helps to build muscle. I have yet to get that from jogging or other slower and longer cardio type workouts.

The best kind of cardio for me is sprinting (HIT). It also has a lot in common with resistance training in that it helps to build muscle. I have yet to get that from jogging or other slower and longer cardio type workouts.

I don't remember what it was called, but remember that thing you showed a video of, where you push a sled across the room? That seems like it would have a huge cardio component to it.

I did the exercycle today because out of all forms of cardio, I probably dislike it the least. The exercycle seems to help my knees so maybe I am getting some muscle around the knee. The Concept 2 rowing machine is a good one for building muscle, IMO, and I like that one too. I guess sometimes the slow, long type of cardio you mentioned helps with endurance instead of muscle.

Honestly I think anything that I do at the gym is better than playing couch potato. :angel: When I lift weights, I prefer to move briskly from machine to machine, and to not spend longer between sets than I spend doing a set. I don't quite do it fast enough to be circuit training, but I move right along. After 45 minutes I am done with my routine, and drenched and breathless too so I think I probably get at least *some* cardio that way. I can't really say the same for my lame cardio workouts like the exercycle today.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom