Old 03-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #1041
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I got exhausted just looking at your Tuesday workout
+1 What a workout, Leonidas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Tried Zoomba today! I think I can cross it off my exercise bucket list. Too much hopping up and down for my knees. Otherwise a real sweat session.
But good for you to have tried it and to have found this out! I have not tried it but after watching a Zumba class on Youtube I suspect that it isn't what I want, either, mostly because I am clumsy and not much of a dancer. Also it looks hard.

A long time ago I read online, that the best way to establish a regular exercise habit is to figure out what kind of exercise you truly enjoy, and do that. So, I figured that out - - weight lifting, for me - - and they were right. I try to incorporate other types of exercise, especially a variety of cardio exercise. I get more cardio in now than I ever have, and I know it is good for me. But in the long run, what keeps me coming back to the gym is weight lifting.

Today I plan to get on the Concept2 and row for a bit, here at home.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #1042
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I see that I misspelled Zumba in my previous post. It didn't feel too much like zoooom [ba] because I caught myself looking at my watch every 5 minutes hoping it was almost over. It really was hard! Essentially it is furiously paced pole dancing to a Latin beat without the pole or strip tease. Lots of jumping, waving of arms, shaking of various body and (for those with long hair) flinging of hair up and down. I did notice that the few people over about 35 in the room were distinctly not in the groove.

I've now settled on a great routine of spinning, pilates, and yoga. These are old standbys that I keep coming back to despite valiantly trying out new classes once in awhile. I need both cardio and, increasingly, stretching. Really love yoga, and my new gym (LifeTime Fitness) offers a wide range of types.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:50 AM   #1043

Hiking/walking at least 1 hour every day. Just got a fitbit for more motivation. Started lifting weights again after a long time off. Startup is a little rough- I can hardly move my arms the day after
Old 03-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #1044
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Hiking/walking at least 1 hour every day. Just got a fitbit for more motivation. Started lifting weights again after a long time off. Startup is a little rough- I can hardly move my arms the day after
Glutamine often helps with post workout muscle aches. Easiest way to get it is in a whey protein shake. You can buy powdered whey at GNC or for less money at Walmart or similar store.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:46 PM   #1045

My morning routine is pretty much the same. Pushups, sit-ups, stretching, then weight lifting.

My afternoon routine is a 3 mile walk on the beach. About three months ago I switched from wearing running shoes to going barefoot on the dry sand. I'm told it doubles the aerobic effort since the sand is constantly shifting, requiring me to make more effort to keep balanced. As a side benefit, my feet are smoother than when I was a baby. Apparently the sand makes for great exfoliating!

Two or three times a week I add a 30 minute lap swimming routine into the mix, swimming at a pool that is halfway through the beach walk routine.

Yesterday it was 90 degrees at the beach. My feet definitely noticed that!
Old 03-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #1046

Easy cardio & core week, only three days, with an emphasis on strength/cardio on the last day.

Tuesday - 45 minutes stairmaster medium intensity steady state.
200 jack knives - I hate jack knives. 857 calories burned

Wednesday - Interval training on bike - 2 minutes on 45 seconds rest - for half hour. 200 jack knives

Thursday - 135 pound plate pushes - 10 sets. 1038 calories burned.

Lateral sliding push ups -10 each side - 8 sets

Burpee Pull-ups - 10 reps - 5 sets

905 calories burned.

I asked the programmer/architect how he would characterize the theme of this month, and he called it, "filling in the gaps". We're going back and finding weakness and errors and fixing them. Next month is going to be about pure power: A week of cardio followed by a week of strength to prep for a week of all killer power moves.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #1047

I was on the treadmill for an hour and 53 minutes watching Game of Thrones. Game of Thrones made me sweat much more than the treadmill did.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #1048

Pulled weeds in the flower beds today with DW. Enough exercise for me!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #1049
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

31 miles of mountain running in a trail race today. I was far from the oldest out there today. A guy in his 60s (I'm 52) beat me by almost 1/2 hour. And I felt great today.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:09 PM   #1050

45 minute online HIIT routine... and grocery shopping.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:27 AM   #1051

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
Glutamine often helps with post workout muscle aches. Easiest way to get it is in a whey protein shake. You can buy powdered whey at GNC or for less money at Walmart or similar store.
Thanks! - I'll have to get some.

A few days after my 1st leg workout, I developed hip pain to the point I could hardly walk. DW called the chiro, and I went to see him a few days later. I was almost back to normal by then, but he said that I overdid it on lunges and I should stick to hiking/biking for leg exercise. More reason for the Glutamine
Old 03-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #1052

Eleven difficult pushups, and a 5 minute walk down and up a local hill. Moderate weightlifting for right arm during St. Patricks Day pitcher-pouring.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #1053

Four sets of doubles tennis and a half hour of swimming.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #1054

Leg day this morning-

3x10 squats
3x10 calf presses
3x10 leg extensions
3x10 weighted crunches
3x10 leg curls
3x10 dead lifts

then 3 rounds of sled pushes and pulls, working up to 575 lbs on the sled. This is one exercise that really gets the heart pumping. I haven't used the sled much, but I might add this one to my normal leg workout.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #1055

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
31 miles of mountain running in a trail race today. I was far from the oldest out there today. A guy in his 60s (I'm 52) beat me by almost 1/2 hour. And I felt great today.
Wow....I ran one marathon, aged 41, and couldn't have added another 5 miles to it. Well done!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #1056

83 minute online HIIT routine, including strength training. Excluded abs portion. My plan going forward is to alternate days between a) cardio and abs and b) cardio and strength training. 6 days on and 1 day off.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #1057

March ended with a lot of resistance training the last week. April is power month, and is broken up into a cardio base week, a strength base week, and a 'crazy' power week.

This was 'cardio' week, except the cardio includes power moves.

Tuesday:
5 minute warmup on Stairmaster. Followed by 2 minutes at 100 steps-per-minute and then 1 minute rest at 80 steps-per-minute
10 135 Lbs sled pulls
15 wall balls (18 Lbs) superset with sprints - 8 rounds
ab complex of flutter kicks, leg raises and jackknives - too many to count

Wednesday:
2-minutes jumping rope superset with 15 burpees - 8 rounds
30 double kettle-bell swings superset with 30 reverse crunches - 5 rounds

Thursday: (I called this 'Trip to War and Back Again')
2 mile run
20 135 Lbs Thrusters
20 24-inch box jumps
20 overhead lunges with 45 Lbs plate
1 minute rest
20 overhead lunges with 45 Lbs plate
20 24-inch box jumps
20 135 Lbs Thrusters
2 mile run

It's amazing how much anxiety that Thursday's workout created. We were using all the biggest muscles and taxing them incredibly hard. The guy who designed it (who I guess is upper 1% of fitness) was gassed halfway through the first round of thrusters and had to stop and catch his breath. After a moment, we heard him say to himself, "this might have been a mistake".
Old 04-08-2014, 10:28 PM   #1058
Recycles dryer sheets

What was Your Workout Today?

Now that spring has arrived, it's time to get back in shape! Sunday hubby and I loaded 120 bales of hay, then unloaded and stacked at home. My back is still sore! Need to get those ab and back muscles strong again!

Today saddled up two horses for beginner riders and walked with them on a trail ride. First time out for the horses this spring and wanted to make sure they weren't feeling too frisky for the 11 year olds riding them (daughter and friend). All went smoothly.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #1059
Administrator

I have been doing pretty much the same weightlifting workout each MWF as I was doing in January when I posted it. Today my lifts added up to 17.9 tons.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #1060

Went to gym last night after dinner which was my normal time when working, but this was the first time doing so in almost 1 year since retiring. The trainers said, what are you doing here at this hour