What was Your Workout Today?

good job Sea Kayaker.. I've been trying to get a routine going for awhile.. did you use a trainer to set yours up or come by it on your own...?

Well, I used to be quite the fitness nut in my 20's, so I still had a pretty good knowledge base regarding cardio and strength training to draw from - so this is a solo, trainer-free journey so far. Also, since I'm ER'd, LOTS of time available to read up on new stuff that may have developed during the decade of my 30's - aka as the decade I "let myself go". :)

And my long distance sea kayaking hobby/passion doesn't hurt upper body development either. ;)

Leading up to my competition in June my training was focused on maintaining strength and developing endurance. I took most July off to travel and in August we started a new three month cycle to build a new base of power and strength. It's weigh-lifting centric for sure:

4 week micro cycles each month:

Week 1 - 4 sets of 12 reps (4X12)
Week 2 - 5X5
Week 3: High volume 4-5 sets of 15-18 reps
Week 4: Drop sets of 45 reps (15 at high weight, drop weight slightly for another 15 and repeat a third time)

It's a mixture of bodybuilding, powerlifting, and muscular endurance all designed for muscle growth. I didn't think it was such a big change until we started doing it. We're really pushing a lot of weight and a lot of volume every session. It's been a huge challenge every day and it feels like I've just started working out rather than haven lifted for almost three years I'm exhausted after each session, usually starving when I leave the gym, and have been taking a lot of unplanned naps.

My massage therapist asked me what I was doing different because she said my muscles have gotten a lot denser in the last couple of weeks - so there is something going on there.

I've had to add some additional carbs back into my diet in order to make it through these training sessions and I've gained about 4 pounds in a month. Still not sure how much of that is lean mass so I've started back to doing an hour cardio each day in order to keep the fat gain to a minimum.

20 minutes on the exercise bike to help offset yesterday's food indulgence. :LOL:

I'll do more sets of 20 minutes several times today to ramp myself up a bit. I experimented with playing solitaire on my cell while cycling. That made the time go faster.

Last edited:
Yesterday was walking at The Great NY State Fair for 8 hours. Unfortunatly offset with stops for sausage pepper and onion sandwich, maple sugar cotton candy, chocolate milk, and pizza fritte.

Anyone who has been there knows these are necessary sustenance once a year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Anyone who has been there knows these are necessary sustenance once a year.

Ooh, especially the chocolate milk on tap. Do they still sell the milk tickets for 25 cents each? I grew up near Syracuse, so the Fair was a yearly excursion. I've been to the Fair a few times since moving to PA, but not since about seven years ago.

Ooh, especially the chocolate milk on tap. Do they still sell the milk tickets for 25 cents each?

Yup! The baked potato is up to a buck though.

The only "new" thing I indulge in is the maple sugar candied popcorn and/ or maple sugar cotton candy. They've only been around 10 years or so.

I didn't go to the Fair this year because of the heat. I live only 1 hour away from Syracuse. I had attending the Chevy Court free performance of the Oak Ridge Boys in my plans. I'm subject to hot flashes and in these higher temps, I knew it would be a disaster for me to try to go.

Maybe next year...

Did a ride on my road bike with a couple friends up Hwy 39 to Crystal Lake in the San Gabriel Mountains near L.A. It was 26 miles to the top with 5,778 ft elevation gain. It was a good ride, slow and steady but well worth it. We are heading to the Eastern Sierra's next weekend to try and do some of the tough climbs. It is going to be brutal.

Back
Top Bottom