What was Your Workout Today?

Today is rest day. Will take a 2 mile walk to and fro the neighbourhood shopping walk and maybe walk some more for shopping purposes. Then an hour or two or ironing clothes. I think that should do it for a rest day.

An older Concept II rower showed up in our gym recently and I gave it a try the other day. I have no idea of what setting it was on, but I was anticipating much more resistance, much like you would expect with real oars in the water. Am I missing something or do these machines provide very light resistance? I was able to get its fan whiring pretty well.

DFW_M5
Go to this website. They will explain the resistence setting and there is a good video on proper technique, which is very important to avoid getting hurt (back). I used to row quite a bit before my accident and I loved it. Nice thing about it at the gym was that the rowers were usually still available for use while all the other pieces of equipment were in use. Worked out good for me!
Twolfy
http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/technique-videos

Wanted to run today, but I was coming along quite well on a concrete project (dog run and pad for woodshed...got the frame and shaping done quicker than expected. So I decided to pour the first of 5 slabs. Sore, but mostly from the shaping, digging and leveling. The pour added to it, but not too bad.

R

DFW_M5, they don't have a whole lot of resistance. My reaction was the same when I first tried one. I always set resistance to the maximum (although others will tell you that is wrong! but that is what I do). However, if you use the Concept II for a while it will surprise you and give you quite a workout. I think it seems light to us because it is not much resistance for a weight lifter, but the cardio that is also provided by the Concept II sneaks up on one. I like to try to make the watts go up higher during each pull, just to see how much I can sustain. Perfect form is very important in order to prevent back injuries, but then as a weight lifter you too are probably used to focusing on form when you work out. For me, the Concept II is a great way to lose weight, probably because of the cardio aspects. If you go to their website here, you can compare your performance on the Concept II to that of others all over the country and world, and that is fun sometimes.

DFW_M5
Go to this website. They will explain the resistence setting and there is a good video on proper technique, which is very important to avoid getting hurt (back). I used to row quite a bit before my accident and I loved it. Nice thing about it at the gym was that the rowers were usually still available for use while all the other pieces of equipment were in use. Worked out good for me!
Twolfy
Technique Videos | Concept2

Thanks, I probably need to spend more time on it and not pre-judge based on my initial impression. I think my form is probably OK, so no real worry about injury.

You would be surprised about form. Its easier to get hurt by bad form on a rower than it is by resistance. As you noticed the resistance does not increase they way you are used to on other equipment. Take the time and effort to learn proper form and you will get a great overall workout. I used to love racing the other rower on the screen, it was great motivation. Have fun.
Tom

You would be surprised about form. Its easier to get hurt by bad form on a rower than it is by resistance. As you noticed the resistance does not increase they way you are used to on other equipment. Take the time and effort to learn proper form and you will get a great overall workout. I used to love racing the other rower on the screen, it was great motivation. Have fun.
Tom

+1

DFW_M5, what Tom is saying is completely right IMO. You can find some helpful training videos showing proper form on Youtube (try searching on "good form on a concept 2 rowing machine" or some such thing).

The Concept2 rower can get to be tremendously fun if you give it a chance. My wild guess is that because it uses mostly the big muscles, for some of us it seems easy at first. However, it is a lot more of a workout than one might ever guess. It takes a while, and some patience, to figure out how that could be. :D Seriously, I do love rowing and would do it all the time except that I am so busy with weight lifting and walking right now. Maybe later in the year. So little time, so many nifty ways to work out at the gym.

OK, today my workout was lifting 16.7 tons on the weight lifting machines. It was lots of fun today, moreso than usual for some reason. I didn't raise any of my weights, and accidently lowered one by 10 pounds because I forgot what I had been lifting on that machine. OOPS :LOL:

Last edited:
I wish I was able to workout in a real scull. Years back, I lived near the Yale boat house and alway enjoyed seeing them out on the river.

I'll watch the videos to better understand your points on form, but again, I would think that form would become even more critical if you were pulling a heavier load.

I hit various leg, arm, shoulder, and ab machines at the gym for 40 minutes. Then finished off with 30 minutes on elliptical machine. Feel great for being 62 and retired!

Cut up and stacked three fallen 60' tall 8" diameter trees at my camp. Then sat on my butt and enjoyed the scenery.

Yesterday I lifted 16.1 tons on the weightlifting machines at my gym. Today I went for a walk. Tomorrow more weightlifting.

After a few years of inactivity and 3 back surgeries including lumbar fusion that left me limping and unable to run I was finally able to start back exercising in January. I use a few exercises with TRX suspension straps and some time on an eliptical machine. Now I don't fall over so easily and I've even lost 4 lbs. :) Today I pushed the eliptical to a personal best of 8 miles. I was pretty tired but really excited and had to tell someone. Took me 2 hours. In the next few months I hope to get that to a half marathon. I figure if I tell some people then I will have to do it so I won't be embarrassed. I have an ultimate plan but I don't want to say anything and jinx myself.

Cheers!

:clap:Good luck Badger!

Awriight Badger, Hang in there and keep it up.

15 miles on the bike in 1 hour and 6 minutes. 75 minutes of walking and 55 minutes doing P90X shoulders and arms.

After a few years of inactivity and 3 back surgeries including lumbar fusion that left me limping and unable to run I was finally able to start back exercising in January. I use a few exercises with TRX suspension straps and some time on an eliptical machine. Now I don't fall over so easily and I've even lost 4 lbs. :) Today I pushed the eliptical to a personal best of 8 miles. I was pretty tired but really excited and had to tell someone. Took me 2 hours. In the next few months I hope to get that to a half marathon. I figure if I tell some people then I will have to do it so I won't be embarrassed. I have an ultimate plan but I don't want to say anything and jinx myself.

Cheers!

Way to go. I had back surgery in 2007 and still have some residual neuropathy in my right leg. Keep working like you are and you should keep seeing improvement. Report back here at least occasionally or we will come looking for you.

Yesterday I lifted 16.5 tons on the weightlifting machines at my gym.

This morning I went on a long walk outside, long for this neophyte anyway. The distance was still too short to admit to here, but it was a little over 3x as far as I have been walking for the past two weeks. I wanted to try it and see if I could "up my game" a bit when it comes to walking, now that I have eased into it.

The weather was glorious and perfect for a challenging walk; 59, low humidity, blue skies and bright sunshine. There are probably 3 days a year here that are this nice for walking. :rolleyes: But hey, I have a gym membership so I have no complaints.

Tomorrow more weight lifting.

Last edited:
About 2 miles of HIIT sprints followed by a half mile walk and a 5 mile bike ride. Later, I'll do some more shoveling and planting in the garden.

R

Back
Top Bottom