Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What's your life expectancy
less than 60 1 0.89%
61 to 70 0 0%
71 to 80 16 14.29%
81 to 90 45 40.18%
91 to 100 48 42.86%
>100 2 1.79%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2016, 03:11 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
powerplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by qt333 View Post
I got docked the same because I drink alcohol.


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
I think there is a sweet spot in there, maybe 1 drink a day. Or maybe it is all random and they are just messing with us to get us interested in those annuities.
__________________

__________________
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2016, 03:14 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
txtig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sugar Land
Posts: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
My guess is this is the calculator they give to the sales critters, and the actuaries use a different one.

+1
__________________

__________________
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:02 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 2,204
Got 90y in both calculators. Has to do with my current age, 35.

Funnily enough the biggest factor to determine how old you'll get is how old one already is ..

What I find interesting is that the variation in life spans has been dropping alot. Most health advances gave us a better chance of reaching a certain minimum age (say, 75) but don't extend the maximum age by much.

So you still have >100y old as something that happens very rarely, while 80y olds are pretty common now.
__________________
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:49 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,388
For me, life expectancy = 92.

But what is this? 75% chance of living to 83. I may just fall into that unlucky 25% who do not make it to 83.

PS. A life expectancy of 92 means there's a 50/50 chance for me to get there. There's no 100% at any age. I may just drop dead next week because of a heart attack, or a stroke. Or I may get diagnosed with cancer and die next year despite all the treatments available.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:52 PM   #25
Moderator
rodi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 8,796
First calculator said 92. Second one said 82. I think one of the issues with the 2nd calculator was that I admitted to not going in for regular checkups. I go for a checkup about every 5 years....

My mom died at age 67. My dad at age 77. Grandparents died at 67, 72, 71, and 91. I'm hoping to be like Gram (91). My brother died at 48... Cancer runs strong in our family - all of those deaths except Gram were cancer.

I plan for 95. I hope for 85 unless cancer gets me sooner.
__________________
Retired June 2014. No longer an enginerd - now I'm just a nerd.
micro pensions 7%, rental income 18%
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:04 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,707
Darn, I have to get busy and plan some trips..... before I pop
__________________
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:07 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,029
The first calculator was 79 and the second was 93 . My Mom just died at 99 and all the women in my family live long lives . My Aunt is 82 and looks like 70 .I would settle on 85.
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:40 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
For me, life expectancy = 92.

But what is this? 75% chance of living to 83. I may just fall into that unlucky 25% who do not make it to 83.

PS. A life expectancy of 92 means there's a 50/50 chance for me to get there. There's no 100% at any age. I may just drop dead next week because of a heart attack, or a stroke. Or I may get diagnosed with cancer and die next year despite all the treatments available.
OK, I just saw the 2nd calculator posted by imoldernu. It says 93 for me.

Should I believe these, and lower my WR further?

I will believe it when I get there. Heck, if I get there I will not remember anything about any longevity calculator.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:31 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.
dixonge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ajijic
Posts: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Here's a different site, with a few more health questions.

I gave me three more years... from 95 to 98... I simply can't afford that!..

Lifespan Calculator – Test Your Life Expectancy || NM
And that one is from an insurance company, which probably sells annuities as well...

I found a different one and it told me 98. Lots of good questions, but also provided a referral link to an investing site (Betterment).
__________________
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alberta/Ontario/ Arizona
Posts: 3,119
Calculator says 92 my personal goal is 90. Have a younger wife and want to leave a substantial legacy, so financially I'm planning for the stash to never run out. Based on 90 I'm about 30% through retirement. So far so good.
__________________
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:12 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,388
The life expectancy thinggy is mainly to encourage people to have good habits. Yes, one should be encouraged to do healthy things, but there is never any guarantee.

Steve Jobs died at 56. Andy Grove died recently at 79. I would think their life expectancy was much higher using these calculators, but they probably fell into the group of the unlucky 5 or 10%. Our number may be up anytime.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:26 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Utrecht
Posts: 2,204
Steve Jobs was unlucky, but also an idiot.

Quote:
According to Steve Jobs’ biographer, Walter Isaacson, the Apple mastermind eventually came to regret the decision he had made years earlier to reject potentially life-saving surgery in favor of alternative treatments like acupuncture, dietary supplements and juices
__________________
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
photoguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,301
I tracked down some more details on the model and they can be found here: How Long Will you Live?

I was mistaken and it's not strictly a pure regression model. They do use a cox PH regression but it appears that they have a whole bunch of manual fudge factors: How Long Will I Live? - The numbers . This is disappointing to me.

It's not clear what variables are in the regression vs a fudge factor. I suspect there's double counting of some effects leading to the really high life expectancies (as noted by others in this thread). And it's a linear model so there's no diminishing returns.
__________________
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:38 AM   #34
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Steve Jobs was unlucky, but also an idiot.
That is really sad. I did not know it but apparently he had a type of pancreatic cancer that wasn't as difficult to treat as most.
Quote:
"he had a very slow growing type of pancreatic cancer, and that his was one of the 5% "that can actually be cured"
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...surgery-regret

Unfortunately, he apparently delayed surgery in favor of alternative treatments until it was too late.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:39 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.
Koogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: GTA
Posts: 845
No male on my fathers side has ever lived past their early fifties(cancers mostly)

I'm watching my elder brothers health with interest. He's apprehensive... Mind you he resembles my mum and I am the spitting image of my dad.

The calculator told me 89. I base my estimates on 83.

I guess if the calculator is correct, during those last 6 years I'll just have to mooch off someone young, rich and dumb... takers ? lol
__________________
"No one's interested in something you didn't do"
Tragically Hip - Wheat Kings
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
I guess if the calculator is correct, during those last 6 years I'll just have to mooch off someone young, rich and dumb... takers ? lol

I'm only one of those three, so off the hook!

I'm assuming mid-80s or so, calculators be damned, but I don't plan my finances around that.
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:08 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
robnplunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,123
91 & 90 on both tests, respectively. Voted for 90 though. My parent's generation (uncles, aunts, parents) are in 70 - 80 year old age group and still relatively healthy. Perhaps, I may live to 90 as the test result says. I will revise my expectation if my parent's generation don't make it past 80. Here's to their health!
__________________
Pura Vida
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:50 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 589
Apparently to live into my 90's and live a decade longer, I must marry, lol.
__________________
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:53 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets
Richard4444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Here's a different site, with a few more health questions.

I gave me three more years... from 95 to 98... I simply can't afford that!..
This site gave me 100. I'd like to place a bet that they are wrong

Rich
__________________
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:54 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.
Koogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: GTA
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I'm only one of those three, so off the hook!

I'm assuming mid-80s or so, calculators be damned, but I don't plan my finances around that.
If it is the middle criteria, I can make accommodations.....
__________________

__________________
"No one's interested in something you didn't do"
Tragically Hip - Wheat Kings
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Polymeal: Increase your life expectancy by 6.5 years wabmester Other topics 22 06-20-2007 12:15 PM
Underweight & correlation to life expectancy wildcat Health and Early Retirement 16 11-26-2006 06:02 PM
life expectancy JJac FIRE and Money 51 11-26-2006 08:01 AM
U.S. Life Expectancy Hits All-Time High MJ FIRE and Money 1 12-08-2005 03:37 PM
Life Expectancy Quiz Cut-Throat Other topics 10 02-27-2004 02:43 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:34 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.