Newly Retired and IRMAA

jjerickson

Confused about dryer sheets
I was forced to retire in February 2023. My wife was 65 and at the time on my company healthcare plan. I enrolled her to Medicare on 2/1/23 as a result of my company healthcare going away. Since retiring was a life changing event, I submitted form SSA-44 to have her IRMAA redetermined for 2023. I did the same for 2024. In both instances the redetermination was approved and IRMAA removed for 2023 and 2024.

Fast forward to the end of 2023, I received a letter from the SSA stating that I owe them IRMAA for 2023 based on my 2021 income. I am choosing not to appeal this decision because ultimately my 2023 income will be in the same IRMAA range as 2021 so I will just pay it.

However, my 2024 income will be drastically less then 2022 and I expect a letter from the SSA at the end of 2024 again stating that I owe them IRMAA for 2024 based on my pre-retirement 2022 income. I plan on appealing that because of my forced retirement and income change in 2024. But during a recent visit to the local SSA office they said that IRMAA will be charged to you because it is always based on your income 2 years back even though you had a life changing event and you weren't on Medicare in 2021 or 2022. To me that did not make any sense because why have an SSA-44 redetermination process if it is always going to look two years back. I had thought that I would appeal claiming that my 2024 income was far less and that they would approve my appeal and SSA would wait till my 2024 taxes are filed to see what I really did make. If I did make more, then I would get a notice saying I owe the IRMAA. If not, then everything would be fine.

Are my assumptions correct and am I going about the process correctly?

Following due to similar situation. Retired end of 2020. Started Medicare July 2022, so 2022 premium based on 2020 MAGI. Filed the SSA-44 due to retiring in 2020 and talked to someone at SSA. Thought we were all good and was billed without any IRMAA in 2022. Now they are coming back for past IRMAA for 2022 and also 2023 past IRMA which they didn't bill me for in 2023 (but I think I do owe). So basically, they are now going back after 18 months of past IRMMA. Only in first IRMAA bracket so not a huge amount, but still very confusing.

Back
Top Bottom