When you have a bad cold but no fever

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
What do you do? When I was w*rking, I would either work from home or if necessary, go to the office and try to stay away from others as much as possible. Now, I stay in bed and rest but I’m not really sure that the rest helps me get well faster. Just curious whether you just go on with your routine or not.

ugh...just woke up this morning with sore throat and stuffy nose! Rest, zinc (in the form of cold eze or zicam), tons of water and other fluids is my first onslaught. Then add OTC decongestant and antihistamine if needed. most URI's take 7-10 days to clear, no matter what you do. although If I start the zinc at the first symptom, it does seem to be better sooner. Maybe just wishful thinking.....

What do you do? When I was w*rking, I would either work from home or if necessary, go to the office and try to stay away from others as much as possible. Now, I stay in bed and rest but I’m not really sure that the rest helps me get well faster. Just curious whether you just go on with your routine or not.
I just follow my instincts. Usually I go to lunch at a restaurant with Frank and run errands with him as always, but if I feel really rotten I'll beg off. I rest and nap most of the day, either way, as desired. Not in bed, though; just in my easy chair with a light blanket, surf the internet, and maybe listen to podcasts, dozing off now and then. Chicken soup for dinner helps me for some reason.

Sorry you are feeling crummy!

I drink more liquids, and cover my mouth when I cough, otherwise nothing different - just as I did when I worked.

I work and don't get sick days so I have to work unless I spend money to go and get a doctor's note. I drink even more water than normal but otherwise don't usually do anything different.

I work and don't get sick days so I have to work unless I spend money to go and get a doctor's note. I drink even more water than normal but otherwise don't usually do anything different.

A fifth of Whiskey is cheaper. A fifth cures almost anything.

A fifth of Whiskey is cheaper. A fifth cures almost anything.

That could work before bed but not at work where I operate potentially dangerous machinery.

Rest, zinc (in the form of cold eze or zicam), tons of water and other fluids is my first onslaught. Then add OTC decongestant and antihistamine if needed.

+1

I also take a dose of some generic Nyquil-type liquid each night before bed to help me sleep.

As for what I do during the day, pretty much my usual routine, except that I nap more often and don't go out anywhere (except to pick up more meds or some OJ or other comfort items, if necessary) until the symptoms greatly subside. I also don't exercise as much as I would otherwise.

[M]ost URI's take 7-10 days to clear, no matter what you do. although If I start the zinc at the first symptom, it does seem to be better sooner. Maybe just wishful thinking.....

Yeah, I've wondered if those homeopathic zinc lozenges actually help or not, too. I've seen conflicting reports about their efficacy. Being homeopathic doesn't speak well to their actual therapeutic effectiveness.

Go to bed. Watch old rerun television or shows on DVR. Under no circumstances do you whine to your spouse! Get over the bad 24-48 hours then have annoying sinus goo and/or hacking cough for up to a week. Continue on with your life. Do not go to the doctor unless you truly think you cannot breath or your dying

I’ve had some luck with zinc, but only if I use it before I really have any symptoms. First sign or it’s not worth it.

I’ve rarely fought off a cold without help from a dr. When I’ve tried, it lasts too long - like three weeks or more. I know they say antibiotics don’t work but by the time I go to a dr, I’ve got an infection that needs them.

Though I did get through the last one in under three weeks, but the cough lasted longer.

So far I’ve been mostly resting and DH has been great - bringing me soup and ice cream in bed. I don’t feel like I’m any better though after two days of rest. Wondering if I should just try to push myself and go about a normal routine.p, but I really don’t feel like doing anything.

My toolbox is: generic sudafed, guaifenesin, generic allieve, and generic nyquil.

I use any and all as needed. Plus I drink orange-pineapple juice and gargle with diluted vinegar if I get the bad sore throat.

I never go to the doctor for a cold. I've had no luck with zinc/zicam. I find Mucinex to be pretty good for OTC, and Sudafed's not bad either. All any of them really do is dry you out for a few hours to help symptoms. My colds always start in my throat and end there, so I go through a fair amount of sugar free Ricolas during their stay.

I don't do the in bed thing unless a flu, as I believe keeping some level of activity and metabolism helps your system move the cold out faster than not.

My mum used to say colds take 3 days to arrive, 3 to stay, and 3 to leave, and I find that's about right.

I'm still working, so I WFH if it's during the week; if it's the weekend, I'm a big old baby - sit around in comfy clothes/PJs, drink a lot of fluids (hot or cold), sleep as much as I can, enjoy homemade chicken noodle soup. I'll make sure to take long hot showers to help clear up the lungs/sinuses and help me feel somewhat human.

Once I start feeling better I get restless, but I'll hold back on activity for an extra day to make sure I don't push too hard. If I try to be up and around before that I just get really grumpy since I obviously don't feel well.

Once DH and I both got nasty colds on vacation. The hotel we were staying at had a spa with a steam room, so we'd hit that several times a day to clear up.

Whenever I get a bad cold I continue with my usual activities except for going to the gym as I don't want to pass on my miserable cold to my fellow gym rats.

Last year we delayed a trip to Edinburgh to visit DW's family when one of us had a cold as her BIL was undergoing chemotherapy at the time.

Neither of us have ever gone to the doctor unless a fever has developed or it goes on for a long time. A few years back DW had what she thought was a bad cold but eventually went to see the doc and a head x-ray(?) revealed an infection so he prescribed antibiotics which quickly cured her.

I’m on Day 4 now. Taking the opportunity to rest since I don’t have to do anything. Cancelled several social plans since not only do I not feel like going out, I also don’t want to spread this to anyone else.

Some people don't get fevers. I rarely get a fever even if very ill. I was once hospitalized for 4 days with an infection and didn't have a fever at any point. So -- I go by how I feel. If I feel wretched then I pretty much don't do anything I don't have to do....

HONEY
I swear this stuff knocks my cold down from 2 weeks to 2 days. If I take a tablespoon full within 24 hours of first symptoms and again every 12 hours, by the 3rd or 4th dose, most of my symptoms are gone with only a slight runny nose of clear fluids. DW and I caught the same cold at the same time at a family Thanksgiving gathering this year. I took the honey and was able to go skiing 3 days later. DW is STILL suffering the effects.
Not sure it matters but I use local honey.

I hit it with
1) fluids and more fluids
2)Vitamin C - as much as tolerated ( until stools get soft) I begin with 1000mg per hour and adjust upp or down as needed. ( Newbies might try half that to avoid unwanted consequences)
3)zinc
4) avoid ALL sugar , this includes alcohol- it really impairs the immune system
5) If I don't have a fever I create one. If I still feel pretty good 'Ill go for a long run to get sweating. ( If already feeling bad I skip the run ) Then wrapping up in bed with the electric blanket does good as does a sauna. A low grade fever is beneficial to get the chemical reactions of the immune system going. I have had thyroid issues for years and my body does not always get a fever up and going fast enough so I help it along.
6) Did I say fluids?

Most of the time if I get on it fast- I can shake it off

I get as much sleep as possible. I find that makes the most noticeable difference. I also continue with light exercise and I use over the counter daytime remedies to keep the symptoms manageable.

Years ago I discovered if I take two Ibuprofin and soak in a hot bath at the first sign of a cold (sore throat and/or stuffy nose), I can almost always nip it in the bud before it turns into a full cold. Eating spicy foods when the cold first comes on seems to help also (makes the nose run), but these days I can't tolerate spicy foods like I used to. Of course, sometimes you get the cold anyway, nothing you can do but rest, drink fluids, and wait it out.

You can greatly minimize the chances of getting a cold by washing your hands often. I always wash my hands when I get home from town. There's lots of germs out there. :) My wife uses hand sanitizers often, but I hate that stuff and in my experience it doesn't seem to work any better than washing your hands.

Another tip is to learn to wipe your eyes and nose with the back of your hand or fingers, as the contact surfaces are where you're most likely to pick up the cold viruses.

It would help if people would stay home when they are sick, but our culture seems to place work responsibility above personal care. So coworkers show up at work coughing and sniffling and spreading their cold virus all over the workplace. My wife has a gazillion sick leave hours but I can never convince her to stay home when she's sick. :)

Hope you feel better soon...

A huge part of our team has been out sick the last three days with something like that. What I do now, stay the heck home and try to avoid getting anybody else sick, the productivity loss isn't worth coming in when contagious. When I was younger, I totally came in unless I was feeling REALLY awful, I saved sick days for when I really needed them. Having no fixed sick days now is actually working out at this job, I take off when I need to and we all work hard when we aren't out sick and stay on top of things.

Years ago I discovered if I take two Ibuprofin and soak in a hot bath at the first sign of a cold (sore throat and/or stuffy nose), I can almost always nip it in the bud before it turns into a full cold. Eating spicy foods when the cold first comes on seems to help also (makes the nose run), but these days I can't tolerate spicy foods like I used to. Of course, sometimes you get the cold anyway, nothing you can do but rest, drink fluids, and wait it out.

You can greatly minimize the chances of getting a cold by washing your hands often. I always wash my hands when I get home from town. There's lots of germs out there. :) My wife uses hand sanitizers often, but I hate that stuff and in my experience it doesn't seem to work any better than washing your hands.

Another tip is to learn to wipe your eyes and nose with the back of your hand or fingers, as the contact surfaces are where you're most likely to pick up the cold viruses.

It would help if people would stay home when they are sick, but our culture seems to place work responsibility above personal care. So coworkers show up at work coughing and sniffling and spreading their cold virus all over the workplace. My wife has a gazillion sick leave hours but I can never convince her to stay home when she's sick. :)

Hope you feel better soon...

Thanks. Yes, it is irritating how many people continue to go out and about even when sick. I understand having to work depending on sick leave policy but since I don’t work anymore, I couldn’t have caught this on the job. I do try to wash hands often, but should focus more on that.

Today is Day 5. I finally did some things on my computer today, but mainly rested. Have been taking my DayQuil and NyQuil and drinking OJ and eating ice cream. Maybe not so good from a sugar perspective but that and soup are all that sounds good to me right now.

Back
Top Bottom