Why can't I do this simple thing?

A tip from eyes-closed karate kata: strongly visualize whatever you would be seeing if your eyes were open.

If you just let your visual center go to 'blackout' - splat!!

A tip from eyes-closed karate kata: strongly visualize whatever you would be seeing if your eyes were open.

If you just let your visual center go to 'blackout' - splat!!

I never knew the why, but I know that helps.

That's a good hint. I use the drishti (fixed gaze) in yoga balance poses. I'll have to visualize that when I try with my eyes closed.

At the risk of stating the obvious...

This is something that is correlated with age, but I doubt that there is causation in the direction we'd like. In other words, you can practice to balance for longer, and you can certainly make significant progress on your time, but I doubt that just doing this is going to increase your chances of living longer. It's like that "sit on the floor and get up from the floor without touching anything" test. I'm sure it correlates to mortality risk, but practicing it to get better at it probably won't do anything to make you live longer.

I think you might misunderstand what is going on here.

It is not about life expectancy or mortality, but rather about quality of life while we are here. My understanding is that you are improving your balance skills in order to minimize your risk of injury due to falls.

Falls, I believe, are the #1 cause for leading to permanent admission to nursing homes/LTC facilities.

-gauss
(not a physical therapist)

Last edited:
I think you might misunderstand what is going on here.

It is not about life expectancy or mortality, but rather about quality of life while we are here. My understanding is that you are improving your balance skills in order to minimize your risk of injury due to falls.

Falls, I believe, are the #1 cause for leading to permanent admission to nursing homes/LTC facilities.

-gauss
(not a physical therapist)
You are quite correct. Excellent point.

I'm searching for a test that involves consuming three squares of chocolate and two glasses of wine. ...I could pass with flying colors.
Now this exercise SHOULD be done with eyes closed. I learned that judging beer...you can really improve what you taste by closing your eyes. Next time you want to savor something, TRY IT!

Now this exercise SHOULD be done with eyes closed. I learned that judging beer...you can really improve what you taste by closing your eyes. Next time you want to savor something, TRY IT!
Well, I do know my eyes roll back into my head....

When I turned 40, I took yoga classes for about a year and off and on for several more. My motivation was that yoga with focus on flexibility, strength, balance, and listening to the body was a pretty important life skill to have as one aged. I still think that's true and am glad I learned enough to do it on my own.

I have routines I can do as often as I please at home. I should do it more often, but at least I usually do it once a week if not several times a week.

I recommend the music on the CD "Yoga Planet" by David and Steve Gordon for at home yoga practice.

Back
Top Bottom