Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-04-2015, 12:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I'm searching for a test that involves consuming three squares of chocolate and two glasses of wine. ...I could pass with flying colors.
Now that I can do with my eyes closed

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 01:08 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Wow - not easy at all. Something I need to add to my Yoga balance repertoire. Super easy with my eyes open. I sway immediately with eyes closed.

NOTE: it is easier to balance on a hard floor than on carpet.
It's eaiser to fall on carpet than on hard floors, they hurt!

Old 04-04-2015, 01:09 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm searching for a test that involves consuming three squares of chocolate and two glasses of wine. ...I could pass with flying colors.
This sounds like my kind of challenge.

The pesky 'eyes closed, then balance' thing is HARD!
Old 04-04-2015, 01:09 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A slight modification to the test. Rather than standing on one foot and closing both eyes, I closed one eye and stood on both feet. I can do that for hours. (maybe)
Old 04-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I was taking a combination Qi Gong/balance class. I almost didn't do it, thinking it was for old people (I'm only 59). But DW wanted to, so I joined her. This is one of the tests that they do to determine your capabilities. I could do any of the others, like balancing on one foot for 30 seconds or more, balancing on one foot while slowly kicking the other out forward, then back, then to the side, then back, then to the back, etc. But as soon as I closed my eyes I'd go over to my right.

One thing that helped quite a bit was wearing my tai chi shoes to class. They're just thin leather shoes like this, with thin rubber soles. My instructor said they allowed you to use your monkey toes. And truly, being able to spread your toes inside the shoes and grip the floor improved my balance incredibly. Regular athletic shoes bind your toes and make your foot rock when you move. Anyway, by feeling your balance on the balls of your feet and your toes you can judge how you ground yourself to the floor.

I did the class for 8 weeks. By the time it was over my balance was much improved, even though it had been pretty good to start with. But I never could get much beyond 6-7 seconds once I had closed my eyes. I still practice when I think about it. I also make sure to put my pants on standing on one foot, then the other. I can't quite do it while putting on my shoes and tying them, but I'll get there.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

A tip from eyes-closed karate kata: strongly visualize whatever you would be seeing if your eyes were open.

If you just let your visual center go to 'blackout' - splat!!
Old 04-04-2015, 09:47 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mews View Post
A tip from eyes-closed karate kata: strongly visualize whatever you would be seeing if your eyes were open.

If you just let your visual center go to 'blackout' - splat!!
I never knew the why, but I know that helps.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:18 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

That's a good hint. I use the drishti (fixed gaze) in yoga balance poses. I'll have to visualize that when I try with my eyes closed.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:31 AM   #29

At the risk of stating the obvious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
This is something that is correlated with age, but I doubt that there is causation in the direction we'd like. In other words, you can practice to balance for longer, and you can certainly make significant progress on your time, but I doubt that just doing this is going to increase your chances of living longer. It's like that "sit on the floor and get up from the floor without touching anything" test. I'm sure it correlates to mortality risk, but practicing it to get better at it probably won't do anything to make you live longer.
I think you might misunderstand what is going on here.

It is not about life expectancy or mortality, but rather about quality of life while we are here. My understanding is that you are improving your balance skills in order to minimize your risk of injury due to falls.

Falls, I believe, are the #1 cause for leading to permanent admission to nursing homes/LTC facilities.

-gauss
(not a physical therapist)
Old 04-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
I think you might misunderstand what is going on here.

It is not about life expectancy or mortality, but rather about quality of life while we are here. My understanding is that you are improving your balance skills in order to minimize your risk of injury due to falls.

Falls, I believe, are the #1 cause for leading to permanent admission to nursing homes/LTC facilities.

-gauss
(not a physical therapist)
You are quite correct. Excellent point.

Quote:
Now this exercise SHOULD be done with eyes closed. I learned that judging beer...you can really improve what you taste by closing your eyes. Next time you want to savor something, TRY IT!
Old 04-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Now this exercise SHOULD be done with eyes closed. I learned that judging beer...you can really improve what you taste by closing your eyes. Next time you want to savor something, TRY IT!
Well, I do know my eyes roll back into my head....
Old 04-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

When I turned 40, I took yoga classes for about a year and off and on for several more. My motivation was that yoga with focus on flexibility, strength, balance, and listening to the body was a pretty important life skill to have as one aged. I still think that's true and am glad I learned enough to do it on my own.

I have routines I can do as often as I please at home. I should do it more often, but at least I usually do it once a week if not several times a week.

I recommend the music on the CD "Yoga Planet" by David and Steve Gordon for at home yoga practice.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:15 PM   #33

The key is to not think about balancing yourself.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:16 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

There is no spoon.

Tags
age, balance, over 50, test