Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well, I didn't have health insurance though my employer offers it at a resonable cost. Being at age 47, I was going to get on it last year but they flew the papers buy so quick I didn't have time to review them. Will get insurance when it comes up later year.

I went to the ER this past Sat am because my chest has been in somewhat of a pain and I was hoping it would subside. Well, it didn't and was tired of the pain, though not excruciating, more of the location of the pain. I thought it was my heart having problems. They couldn't find anything and had me stay overnight. Still nothing. Cardiologist want to put me on a stress test in a couple of days, outpatient. I will see how much the bill is in a couple of days. I will pay regardless, but insurance would of been alot cheaper for me....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2009, 03:28 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1968 View Post

I went to the ER this past Sat am because my chest has been in somewhat of a pain and I was hoping it would subside. Well, it didn't and was tired of the pain, though not excruciating, more of the location of the pain. I thought it was my heart having problems. They couldn't find anything and had me stay overnight. Still nothing. Cardiologist want to put me on a stress test in a couple of days, outpatient. I will see how much the bill is in a couple of days. I will pay regardless, but insurance would of been alot cheaper for me....
We can start a "guess the cost of Mikes hospital bill" game i'll say around $10,000-$11,000
Seriously i hope its nothing serious Mike and i'd get on that insurance as fast as you can,hope they dont label this little incident as a pre existing condition because when you are filling out the insurance application you will have to mention it.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:54 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1968 View Post
I will see how much the bill is in a couple of days. I will pay regardless, but insurance would of been alot cheaper for me....
Maybe someone with experience can chime in, but would it help to make sure that everyone along the way knows you are paying out-of-pocket? Of course you need to get the care you need, but it *might* trigger them to think a little bit more about the costs and options along the way.

Tell them a big bill might be bad for your heart

Hope things work out for you, both physically and financially.

-ERD50
Old 07-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #44
Administrator

Frank went to the ER a couple of years ago for chest pain, and back then he was uninsured. They did a lot of tests and kept him overnight for observation. It turned out to be nothing but indigestion due to eating too much good New Orleans food, too quickly.

When he got out, he was facing over $10,000 in hospital bills. He called the hospital and told them that he didn't have insurance and asked if they could work with him. They came down to $6K right away on the condition that he agreed to pay it on the spot, which he did. The reason I remember the cost is that he always calls it "the $6,000 crab cake incident".

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #45

There is ONE and ONLY one situation under which I'd be willing to be without health insurance: If I was between jobs for a period of less than 60 days and I knew I'd have health insurance within 60 days. In that case you could elect COBRA retroactively if something catastrophic hit you before your new coverage was activated, and if nothing did, you'd have new coverage in time to be considered as having continuous coverage under HIPAA -- and pocket the money you would have otherwise spent on premiums.

Note that this is playing with fire (not FIRE) if you mess something up -- like if you wait more than 60 days (your period to elect COBRA is over) or more than 63 days (no longer continuously insured under HIPAA) -- so anyone doing this should be very aware of all the details and proceed with extreme caution.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote