Forced off Medicare - Warning

Sunset

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicag
If you have AT&T retirement benefits this could affect you too right now.

We have retirement health benefits (or did) from AT&T.

They gave us a few thousand dollars for 2 years, which we used to pay for some Medicare.
They announced for 2024 they were ending the $$ , but we would be automatically enrolled in their Medicare Advantage program.

We phoned a month ago to say NO, we will stay on Medicare, losing a few thousand dollars of value.

Just now we got an email to register our login for the Advantage program. So glad we didn't ignore this email. :(

After 2 hours of phone calls, they now say they will notify CMS (Medicare) we are no longer cancelling and to re-instate us. Don't know if this will screw us up with enrollment date or not, which costs money :mad:

This may also cause issue with our Supplemental plan G as they were also notified we were cancelling. :mad:

Seems pretty terrible that some Advantage program (company) can simply cancel a person's Medicare. It would be better if Medicare contacted us to ask if it's true, before allowing it to proceed.

Wow, that’s awful!

I’m glad we don’t have to go through a company benefit program for Medicare even though many here get great benefits.

It is AT&T doing the deed, not the advantage group...

In Texas the teacher retirement used to be regular medicare and they were the supplement... but then went to an advantage plan... enrolled everybody into that plan...

I found this out when they signed my mom up for their plan even though she had an advantage plan... she was cancelled on hers and had TRS plan... it could not be undone as she did not know what was happening and I never saw anything...

When it is a company making the decision they will move everybody over IF you do not respond... but do not blame the wrong entity...

A couple of years before I retired my former company made a similar move. They no longer paid for retiree supplemental coverage and they offered a switch to an advantage plan. Fortunately by the time I retired they only offered a cash subsidy if you enrolled in the plan of your choice through ViaBenefits. However it took way too much homework to navigate the medicare system. I am satisfied with my medicare plus supplemental Plan G but wonder how much longer before we're all forced down the medicare disadvantage path.

... wonder how much longer before we're all forced down the medicare disadvantage path.
Advantage plans are very profitable for the insurance companies. That’s why we are buried in advertising as open enrollment comes around. I think it's very predictable that some tentacle of government will fix this in the near future.

Next month, I will switch to the Medicare Advantage plan required by my employer retirement provisions. My pension will be increased to cover the Part B premium that will be deducted from my SS. I'm not sure how that will be worse than my current health plan, but since I hear people complain about Medicare Advantage plans a lot, I figure there must be something I don't know yet.

Next month, I will switch to the Medicare Advantage plan required by my employer retirement provisions. My pension will be increased to cover the Part B premium that will be deducted from my SS. I'm not sure how that will be worse than my current health plan, but since I hear people complain about Medicare Advantage plans a lot, I figure there must be something I don't know yet.

I wouldn't worry too much. All the employer provided Advantage plans I've seen are far superior to regular Advantage plans and their insureds do appear to have problems. I have zero problems with my employer provided Advantage plan.

Medicare Advantage plans CAN be inferior and problematic. But they are not ALL that way. Like anything else in the medical system of our great country, things vary by location, insurance companies involved, insurance networks and health care providers involved. Hopefully you get lucky enough to be a successful example of a Medicare Advantage user!

Wow, that’s awful!

I’m glad we don’t have to go through a company benefit program for Medicare even though many here get great benefits.

We did sign up for Medicare a few years ago, via the company contracted "helpers", much like using Boomer Benefits.

But once on Medicare, we deal directly with Medicare, pay them, log in to medicare.gov. The "helpers" have nothing to do with Medicare at this point.

It is AT&T doing the deed, not the advantage group...

In Texas the teacher retirement used to be regular medicare and they were the supplement... but then went to an advantage plan... enrolled everybody into that plan...

I found this out when they signed my mom up for their plan even though she had an advantage plan... she was cancelled on hers and had TRS plan... it could not be undone as she did not know what was happening and I never saw anything...

When it is a company making the decision they will move everybody over IF you do not respond... but do not blame the wrong entity...

I get AT&T contracted with the Advantage plan, and ordered everyone over to the new thing, unless they object.

First of all that should be illegal, consider if someone is too old to effectively catch on to what is going on, or away on a 2 month vacation or in hospital. No signatures required. :confused:

Considering we objected the month ago, who lied. AT&T or the Advantage program that gets a payment from Medicare for every name, we will never know. By the way the confirmation of original objection came from the Advantage Plan domain. :cool:

Medicare Advantage is still Medicare, and plans offering it must provide the same coverage. MA can offer a smaller, limited provider network or HMO.

My mum’s employee retirement benefit first offered traditional Medicare plus MediGap. 7 or 8 years ago they replaced it with a MA plan, and last year they changed to another MA plan. She’s had quite a bit of health care over that period and also moved across the country and we’ve had no issues with any insurer. Both plans provide networks include most of the health care providers across the country. Like the OP’s case, this change was handled without much consideration for the beneficiaries and we could have easily missed some of the communications.

There is no such thing as a generic MA plan, and some of the options are fine. MA also has low cost plans for people with limited financial resources. My brother uses one. The coverage is exactly the same as traditional Medicare, and they include other services, such as dental and vision, and also pay for a fixed amount of medical supplies each year. It is an HMO, so his provider network is limited and he must get pre-approval for everything, but it suits his needs.

Just got a letter from the prescription, Part D saying we are disenrolled for next year. :facepalm:

The letter says Medicare gives us 30 days to fix it...

Should not be allowed to happen at all.

It's like phone slamming in the old days.... Imagine if people found out their brokerage accounts were transferred to another company without permission.

Means we have more phone calls to do next week.. :mad:

.....There is no such thing as a generic MA plan, and some of the options are fine. MA also has low cost plans for people with limited financial resources. My brother uses one. The coverage is exactly the same as traditional Medicare, and they include other services, such as dental and vision, and also pay for a fixed amount of medical supplies each year. It is an HMO, so his provider network is limited and he must get pre-approval for everything, but it suits his needs.

Most people don't have serious prior approval problems but it does happen.

What a painful and, I believe, devious way for them (I’m going to blame both parties) to make that switch, Sunset. My condolances.

Sunset that’s really horrible! I know 2 people only still alive because they were able to obtain treatment quickly in another state at the best hospital for their individual issues. I get monthly payments for using via benefits from my employer. I have regular Medicare and a supplement.

MA frequently denies the necessary rehabilitation after a hospitalization including physical therapy to the patient’s detriment. It can result in permanent loss of function. The list of problems with many MA plans is lengthy and scary.,

Back
Top Bottom