Young blood reverses aging in mice

racy

Full time employment: Posting here.
"In a trio of studies published Sunday, scientists reported that they reversed aging in the muscles and brains of old mice — simply by running the blood of young mice through their veins". "All the researchers warned that people hoping to reverse aging shouldn’t get any wild ideas about infusing themselves with young blood, although they acknowledged making their share of vampire jokes"...The Boston Globe.
Blood from young mice reverses aging in brain, muscles - Science - The Boston Globe

Better take the lump sum; annuities may become threatened if the mice mess up the mortality tables! :cool:

Maybe vampires are on to something.

Groucho Marx long ago discovered a method that was not so macabre.

"A man is as young as the woman he feels." -- Groucho Marx

Maybe there was something to that "tired blood" of the Geritol ads after all.

Tax blood xfers from young to old and the budget deficit goes away.

No doubt this would impact quality of life and not towards the positive.

From the article linked in the op -

"When scientists stitched together the circulatory systems of pairs of old and young mice, in a procedure called parabiosis, they found beneficial effects on the cells of the spinal cord, muscles, brain, and liver of the older animals."

I would hate to be a lab mouse.

Hmmmm. After growing two kids in utero, giving birth to them, feeding, clothing, and sheltering them, etc. I think this may be how I cash in on all that. Take regular infusions of their blood! Well, it is the very least they can do. ;o)

Alas, only one of them has my blood type. How unfortunate for him.

At historical market returns, only takes 15% more initial portfolio value to go from a 30 year retirement to a 500 year retirement (or unlimited lifespan).

Hmmmm. After growing two kids in utero, giving birth to them, feeding, clothing, and sheltering them, etc. I think this may be how I cash in on all that. Take regular infusions of their blood! Well, it is the very least they can do. ;o)

Alas, only one of them has my blood type. How unfortunate for him.

:D Very funny.

My son has my blood type but he is already getting too old, and my wife is too old to have another child at this point.

They said transfusions should work. Pretty scary. I can visualize rich, old psychopaths kidnapping kids and keeping them as blood banks. Just a matter of time if the research shows it works in humans.

They said transfusions should work. Pretty scary. I can visualize rich, old psychopaths kidnapping kids and keeping them as blood banks. Just a matter of time if the research shows it works in humans.

Whole blood isn't needed. Just the specific proteins, extracted from the blood. Which implies that with the right tech, it would be no different than donating plasma, or platelets.

GDF11 Donors Wanted!

Give an hour of your time1 to help others, and be rewarded with a $40 gift card!

1. May reduce lifespan by up to one year.
What could possibly go wrong? There's at least a good short story in there...​

Back
Top Bottom