Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
Anyways, the above article is worth a read for a different perspective on ignoring the daily fitness fads, just as one might ignore the daily fluctuations of the market.
I do see the parallel between market-timing and fitness fads. In both cases, one side says the way to success requires alertness, thought, staying informed about current events, while the other side says, oh, no need for thought, just find a formula that tells you how to do the conventional thing and you'll be just fine, never thinking about it again. (It is rather odd to find Gutting, a professor of philosophy, on the don't-think-just-follow-convention side, though. Philosophy professors are supposed to be thinkers.)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
(It is rather odd to find Gutting, a professor of philosophy, on the don't-think-just-follow-convention side, though. Philosophy professors are suppose to be thinkers.)
I wonder how successful philosophers are as investors?

I'll have to think about that...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee
(It is rather odd to find Gutting, a professor of philosophy, on the don't-think-just-follow-convention side, though. Philosophy professors are supposed to be thinkers.)
I think you mischaracterize it as the "don't think" side. More of the eternal truth side versus the fad of the moment.

I'd bet you more philosophy professors agree with Aristotle or Kant on Ethics than recent (the last 100ish years) moral relativism ideas. Doesn't mean they're on the side of not thinking.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
I wonder how successful philosophers are as investors?

I'll have to think about that...
They're all too broke to have money to invest.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

From the article

Quote:
...simply follow the humdrum standard advice we’ve heard all our lives about eating sensibly, exercising regularly, and having recommended medical tests and exams.
Unfortunately, just because advice is humdrum and standard, doesn't mean it's right. And the problem with "heard all our lives" is that advice we heard in the early part of our lives (e.g. starchy vegetables, like potatoes, make you fat, exercise helps you build an appetite) is different from later advice (eat pasta and potatoes, avoid all fats), and then even later advice (eat only whole grains, and eat lots of healthy fats).

I prefer the real age-old advice: "Ogg say: Eat fattest animal you can kill."

Old 08-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #46

Al,

Thanks for the report. I have to admit that I have slipped on the exercise since the beginning of the year. Your update has encouraged me to start back at the gym on a more regular basis.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:30 AM   #47

When I read YNY I'd just started exercising an hour a day after a work plus cycling and playing tennis at weekends. Since the book reinforced what I was already doing, and enjoying, I was motivated to do more and ramp up the intensity.

A couple of years later the company Doc sent me for a treadmill stress test as my ekg had my resting heart rate at 45. The cardiologist said the results were "spectacular". A year later on my last company physical before I ER'ed my ekg had my resting heart rate at 39.

I continue to exercise every day, last month I logged 55 hours of cardio exercise and lifted 61k lbs of weights.

I feel great but I really can't put it down to taking the advice of YNY, or any other book or exercise regime. Similarly with my weight control, I don't follow any particular diet, just try to limit portion sizes and beer/alcohol consumption.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I was feeling quite old and tired myself, so I started doing green vegetable juices from various leafy greens and carrot and apple for taste. I started, eating only things that were fresh from the ground for dinners with the juices before each meal. No more eating anything out of a box. My next step was to start juicing wheatgrass that I grew myself, along with a nice harvest of microgreens from sunflower seeds I sprouted until about 5 inches tall using a flat 10x20 tray. I have lost 20lbs over the past 4 weeks, sleeping better although less, have more energy in the mornings, no longer feel tired. I have no more joint pains, headakes or sore muscles. Mind you the first 1.5-2 weeks was quite rough on me as I felt a strong detoxing effect and had pain in my upper back, mild headake all day and some discomfort in my joints higher than normal during that initial period. So now I am 5 weeks into this. I replaced 2 full meals with nothing but the green juice for breakfast and lunch. Then a juice before dinner with a green salad or raw vegi salad small piece of fish or about 1-2 times a week about 10oz of steak. I take a B12 supplement as I know this can be an issue on a mainly raw diet.

I noticed my eyes are clear and bright, no longer have to wear glasses to read, the whites are no longer grey in color and the crows feet around my eyes are all but gone.

Now all of these benefits can't be in my head, I look at my photos from 6 months ago and can see a huge difference.

My mind is also very clear, and things that used to piss me off no longer do so. I am kind of giving those individuals in my working life the mental finger in my head, and get on with my day without feeling any anger towards them. There are only a couple of people in my organization of over 60 that are completely useless and lazy, and that used to bother the crap out of me, but no longer, it is just like they don't matter anymore and I accept them for who they are now. This is really weird.

I haven't yet started any exercise program but am keen on getting started again.

Another thing I have noticed is my drive towards feeling like I need to farm stuff now. As I grow my own trays of wheat grass and various sprouts, I really feel like I need to be out actually running a small farm. Well at least now I know what I will do with my early retirement when I get there... Given a big part of the expenses will be foods, if I can grow most of it then this should cut down expenses greatly.

So what got me started down this track? I saw on netflix "Sick Fat and Nearly Dead" check it out very inspirational.

Good luck everyone.

Here is a shot 1 year ago on the left and today on the right.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

The takeaway from YNY is the same message Kenneth Cooper gave years ago, that I try to adhere to, no matter my latest obsession/fascination: Exercise everyday, even if it's a walk.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #50

I want to thank Al for starting this thread and everyone for posting - I am getting motivated! I bought a book and am half way into it. I really really like the book (except so far for the diet recommendations) because it gives very clear explanation of why what kind of exercise is important for older folks. I ordered the book for my mom who is 83 years old also. (Did you know this book is published in Japanese?)
Old 08-31-2011, 09:45 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
When I read Body by Science, on the other hand, I was impressed that a number of the studies cited involved test groups assigned to differing regimens of exercise (multiple days, different styles, etc) and the results were based on objective measures. The type of studies your article says we should look toward. And, of course, the evidence presented points toward an approach to fitness that better aligns with my bias against unnecessary work, so I have embraced it fully. I am of an open mind and if evidence is presented that makes clear that the BS regimen is BS, I may reluctantly change my ways.
It seems to me that people who write books are trying to appeal to people who buy, and presumably read, books. Which means there must be a story that is at least somewhat simple and easily digested and made into rules of thumb or guidelines. But unfortunately very often the underlying sciece is just not that clear.

What bothered me about Body By Science is how they made tenuous extensions of evidence. ie., if lifting weights once per week seemed to make people as strong as more frequent lifting, they generalised that to the required frequency of workouts for other goals, such as metabolic fitness. I don't think it is likely to generalize, and there is evidence coming out of Wm Krause's group at Duke that flatly contradicts it.

Aerobic exercise bests resistance training at burning belly fat

They also recently published a study that shows longer duration, moderate, more frequent aerobic exercise is much better at improving lipid profiles than other exercise. And Dr. Krause fully understands and uses the more complete characterization of lipid chemistry provided by newer assay methods.

Exercise training, lipid regulation,... [Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Ha
Old 08-31-2011, 10:41 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

You'd think science would have figured all this stuff out by now. The first article says "The combination of aerobic with resistance training achieved results similar to aerobic training alone." so I guess that's the way to hedge your bets.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:02 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

inspiring - orderd the book tonight.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It seems to me that people who write books are trying to appeal to people who buy, and presumably read, books. Which means there must be a story that is at least somewhat simple and easily digested and made into rules of thumb or guidelines. But unfortunately very often the underlying sciece is just not that clear.

What bothered me about Body By Science is how they made tenuous extensions of evidence. ie., if lifting weights once per week seemed to make people as strong as more frequent lifting, they generalised that to the required frequency of workouts for other goals, such as metabolic fitness. I don't think it is likely to generalize, and there is evidence coming out of Wm Krause's group at Duke that flatly contradicts it.

Aerobic exercise bests resistance training at burning belly fat

They also recently published a study that shows longer duration, moderate, more frequent aerobic exercise is much better at improving lipid profiles than other exercise. And Dr. Krause fully understands and uses the more complete characterization of lipid chemistry provided by newer assay methods.

Exercise training, lipid regulation,... [Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Ha
Aha, Ha. If they are correct T-Al and I have it covered since we do BBS's lifts once a week but crank out the miles on the bike the rest of the week.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

It's interesting that for the last week and a half, I've been doing high-intensity training every day, namely, splitting firewood. I have a deadline for getting all the wood that my neighbor has donated to me, so each day I split one truckload, and it feels very much like weight lifting or Bowflex.

How does it feel? Good. IOW, I don't feel like I'm not getting enough recovery time.

But after five more days, I should be done and back to the old routine.

It's interesting, though, that different researchers can have such polar opposite views on whether cardio is good for you.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Aha, Ha.
Haha...

The problem with blanket statements regarding exercise and nutrition is that, short of sequestering study subjects for months or years, there are many variables not accounted for in self-answered questionaires or short-term studies.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #57
Administrator

I'm enjoying my strength training, and still making progress. I find that I get some cardio even in weight lifting, since I don't rest any longer between sets than it took me to do the set to begin with. I like this type of workout, and it works for me.

I am convinced that for most of us the best routine is one that we like and will work the hardest at for the longest time, the most often. The average person in modern times is so sedentary that everything helps.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Believe me, when I post something like this it is not intended to critique anyone's program. Strictly FYI.

I suspect that answers do exist, that they may be different for various
genotypes, and that scientists have not yet delineated much of it.

Ha
Old 09-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #59

There's no science to my exercise; I just ride lots of miles on my bike and go on a long tour in the summer. This year it was Iceland.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20110710-013409.jpg (43.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20110901-011125.jpg (115.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20110709-082339.jpg (72.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20110901-011320.jpg (88.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I have to admit that one good reason to retire early is to have the time to exercise. Works soaks up a huge amount of my waking hours and I get home exhausted, stressed, and often with more work to do in the evening. Not so good.