401k Options - High Expense Ratios

Standard Staples

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm considering reallocation within my 401k to minimize expense fees, but there's only one option with what I would consider a low expense ratio (0.15%). The 401k is housed within T. Rowe Price, and the low price fund is the Equity Index Trust A (XAT). There are options for International, Mid-Cap, Small-Cap, Target Retirement, etc., but they're all charging ~0.6% and up.

The question is, should I put it all in the Index or just accept that to diversify this account, I'll have to deal with some higher expenses? I do have other investments, and this currently represents about 25% of my investment portfolio. If I include home equity, it's closer to 15%.

Thoughts?

Since you can diversify using your other accounts I'd go ahead and put it all in that equity index. Look at your portfolio as a whole, and balance accordingly.

That TRP fund is an S&P500 index fund, right?

My wife puts 100% of her 401(k) into the only index fund in her 401(k). That fund is an S&P500 index fund.

We use are other accounts to get our asset allocation the way we want it.

So for you, if you want at least 25% of your portfolio in US stocks, then I see no reason not to use the TRP XAT for 100% of your 401(k).

I agree with the above couple of posts, but if the account has a self-directed brokerage account option you may be able to invest in low-cost ETF funds there. That's what I did at my last employer. I could have bought the Vanguard mutual fund but that came with a trading fee of $49 per trade, where the corresponding ETF had a trading fee of $9. I accumulated money in the 401k for a time and purchased shares of the ETF perhaps once a quarter or so.

Since you can diversify using your other accounts I'd go ahead and put it all in that equity index. Look at your portfolio as a whole, and balance accordingly.

+1
I had the exact same problem with most of the 401(k) plans I participated in over the years. Limited selection of funds, mostly actively managed, with usually just one fund that had a reasonably low expense ratio. I always avoided those overpriced funds and just stuck to the low ER fund, and that would be my recommendation here.

Go with the Index. I have about 40% in low fee S&P 500 index ETF's and funds.

I agree with the others - go with the index fund... and make sure your *total* investment portfolio is balanced to whatever asset allocation you desire... Since they 401k is all equity - you'd want less equity in the remaining portfolio to compensate.

Excellent responses and very much appreciated! I'm going to take everyone's advice and fully convert this account to the Index fund.

Back
Top Bottom