Anyone else buying today?

I've been selling in my after tax gambling account for a few years, taking advantage of the 0% CG tax rates, and have been transferring said account to a Roth IRA. So I've had cash sitting in the Roth. I had put in a number of buys, good until whenever, for stocks I was interested in. A couple of them (GILD and SDRL) have triggered, and a couple others (XOM, WMT) are close. A few others (AAPL at $85 and BRK.B at $125) have a ways to go. It's not a big part of my total portfolio, but as Uncle Mick says, it's good for the testosterone. I'll probably slack off soon since fantasy football is starting.

Not everything is too high but the index is out of whack. Apple trades for 11 or 12x fwd earnings, Corning for 10x, Gilead for 9x while Netflix trades for 200x, Amazon for 97x, Chipotle for 35x.

We got into a period where growth or the appearance of growth was everything and you were told to pre-pay for all of that growth.

Maybe we are going to fix that now.

Yes, it will be interesting to see how each individual stock fares against the broad market in the days ahead.

I can understand how investors may have consternation about Apple being able to keep growing earnings by making bigger and badder iPhones, but I could not find what could be wrong with Gilead. I do not follow the biotech industry, so do not know what investors are afraid that may be waiting behind the curtain with Gilead. Both APPL and GILD went down 6% today.

But I agree with you that the high P/E of some stocks smells like the dotcoms of 2000. Shows you that speculation is always a part of investing. And it does not apply to just equities.

Last edited:
Set up to sell all my CVX when it goes down a few more cents. That will give me a couple years of loss for taxes. Then it's the month wait to buy back. If it goes down further then "Bob's your uncle". I don't see much chance in it going up enough to exceed what I will gain. This is some of my "play money" so it has no impact on retirement investments. This is my first little gamble other than the annual dollar on the state lottery but I think it is a pretty conservative gamble.

Cheers!

Picking away at funding my roth ira's. Remember the panic one year ago that rocked the market? Ebola...anyone care now? Nope.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I usually buy a chunk first week every month to continue reaching to my my AA. I was accidentally cash poor in the Vanguard account, so I bought only 1/2. I guess I'll finish it on Monday now that the bank transfer went through.

Otherwise, I'll stick with my monthly purchases and ignore the noise.

To the OP question.... that presupposes that there is cash sitting around TO invest... I do not have any...

I have all of my money invested or it is for living expenses.... AA is not out of whack.... and most of my 'bond' funds are stuck in a cash balance account at my old mega which I cannot do anything with except watch it grow...

+1

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Not buying with my cash yet. Need a much bigger correction for that. But as any other month I buy funds with what I eventually did not use of last months pension. Around $100 this time. This month though it won't be anything left thanks to me beeing on holiday.

Last edited:
I have my order in for 20k of XOM at $56....we'll see
That would be a chunk of change. Good luck, that would also be a 10+year low for XOM. Personally, I'm not sure I could resist not buying in the mid 60's. But that's me.

Last edited:
I just stick with the AA and not try to time anything.

The next Fed fiscal year starts Oct 1. Any concern early election political sabre-rattling could shake a nervous market more yet?

Just a small buy, but I made full Roth contributions into a broad stock index fund for DW and I yesterday after the dip.

XOM at $56 is a pipe dream. That would be a 5.2% yield. Sleep well knowing that your limit order will never be filled

XOM at $56 is a pipe dream. That would be a 5.2% yield. Sleep well knowing that your limit order will never be filled

Never say never. Seadrill went from $40 down to $7

Even Exxon was around $90 something early this year and is now $72. About the same drop will get it in the $56 range.

$30 oil for a few months, maybe toss in a spill here or there and bam, $56 is printed.

Even Exxon was around $90 something early this year and is now $72. About the same drop will get it in the $56 range.

$30 oil for a few months, maybe toss in a spill here or there and bam, $56 is printed.

$30 crude oil for a few months and I'm buying auto stocks and refiners.;)

$30 crude oil for a few months and I'm buying auto stocks and refiners.;)
$30 crude for a few months, heck, I'm ordering me a new Escalade w/4 wheel drive.

Last edited:

Ya and its entirely possible down the road Exxon may get to $56 without a 5% yield also, if this is a protracted oil rout and divi's get cut. But this is coming from a guy who bought 100 shares at $98 last fall watch it drop down and then bounce back to around $96 and I chickened out sold and lost a few hundred bucks. So anyone thinking $98 was a good buy shouldn't be listened to!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Might be but it got within $10 of my buy price. Panic does funny things to stocks and I don't believe the bottom is in.

Not buying, but closed a few covered call positions today.

I so wanted to do that but then tax is due this year on the call gain.

I have some Corning calls I sold for $3 that today are $0.20

$10,000 would be taxed in 2015 instead of 2016 when we have no income

Market is crashing again but somewhat controlled now. Might get that opportunity I missed this morning...might not.

I have not contributed to this year's Roth. May be an opportunity. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom