Anyone else buying today?

I raise some cash the last couple of months. I have been putting most of it to work writing out of the money puts which I expire today, so will see how the market closes. I think will be buying on Monday though.

Other than oil and energy companies I don't see any danger to dividends cut so I'm not too worried.

I'm kicking myself though I was going to open a charitable trust this year funded by my highly appreciated Intel stock, back in June Intel was in the $34 range now it is down to $26.65 ugh.

About to pull the trigger on a buy : Lowes,

2 sheets of plywood, not the stock.

I had to buy a 14K gold bead to fix a necklace. Does that count?

I bought more AMLP yesterday. I'm buying whenever I have free cash to do so.

I just bought a Route 44 Diet Coke (with extra ice) at Sonic for $1.19 (happy hour) for DW then came home and added to SCHD.

Beware the dead cat bounce on Monday:LOL:

I retired in 1993. No financial problems since then. Some family assets have come to me for management. I make no attempt to time the market. I sell only to comply with IRS regulations on IRA distributions. I won't diversify to foreign holdings, bonds, or real estate. Most of my money is in SWTSX (sweat sox? sweet sex? no, Schwab Total Stock Market Index) and Vanguard Total Stock Admiral VTSAX. To answer the question, though, I bought (today) some more SWTSX for the account of a young relative that I manage. The purchase is part of my DCA into that account. That is, I don't pay attention to where the market is when I continue with regular purchases for my relative's retirement account.

Sale of house proceeds coming in on Sept 10th. I'll DCA it in over a couple of months. Things are certainly going to be a lot cheaper!

Today I only bought a Grande Americano at Starbucks. If this selloff continues next week I might sell some stock losers for a tax loss, but immediately reinvest into some other stock that won't hit me with wash sale issue.

I'm actually hoping it doesn't drop enough to trigger a rebalance. My next 7 years ER funds are sitting in a stable value fund for the next 5 months. I'm also hoping interest rates don't drop too much further either. Since the 401k is 2/3rds of my funds I feel like I'm in a straight jacket.

Give me a pony with saddlebags and point me towards Pennsylvania! My bank is unbelievably slow with any electronic transaction.

I love it! :2funny: I'm getting pretty eager to see that, too. I try not to market time, but the self control required to abstain is hard to muster sometimes.

W2R, This is a little old country bank, been around for 100 years or so but they have been embracing technology lately.
Go relax, have a beignet for me, keep an eye on your stock watch list and then pounce.

Yesterday I sold my (former) house, and because of no mortgage I got a big check from the title company. As soon as the title company went through their customary anti-fraud verification with the bank, I deposited it and arranged to upload the money to Vanguard ASAP.

It's still not there. (groan)

I am trying SO hard not to make a hyper-critical crack about the Pony Express versus high tech methods of the digital age. :LOL:

On the other hand, who knows? Maybe we'll have an even bigger dip on Monday than we did yesterday and today. If the Dow is below 16,000 when I reinvest, then my dream house and move could end up costing me nothing.

You can always pay the wire fees and get it there same day.... high tech cost you money....

Beware the dead cat bounce on Monday:LOL:

Yes, I agree. It's hard to know what to expect.

Well, the money from the sale of my house still has not arrived at Vanguard. Hopefully it will be there by Monday. However, I'm probably not going to invest as much of it on Monday as I would have today.

You can always pay the wire fees and get it there same day.... high tech cost you money....
Or, I can rely on another tried and true method of sure and quick delivery: Yee Hah!!!

image001.jpg

Last edited:
To the OP question.... that presupposes that there is cash sitting around TO invest... I do not have any...

I have all of my money invested or it is for living expenses.... AA is not out of whack.... and most of my 'bond' funds are stuck in a cash balance account at my old mega which I cannot do anything with except watch it grow...

Being that I was close to the 55% upper end of my equities range before all the activity this week, there is a ways to go before I hit the lower end of my equities band (45%) that would motivate a rebalance. Another factor is that close to 45% of my liquid NW is in balanced funds ( Wellesley, Wellington, Target Retirement Index) which automatically rebalance. So all, in all, I'll go back to sleep until something really happens.

I want to buy, but my initial retirement plan was to live off of cash for a few years. Buying would deplete my cash to the point where I would have to sell equities to get cash before the 3 year mark, so I'll probably stand pat.

Last edited:
I want to buy, but my initial retirement plan was to live off of cash for a few years. Buying would deplete my cash to the point where I would have to sell equities to get cash before the 3 year mark, so I'll probably stand pat.

Same plan as us. I have about 4 years expenses in cash spread across a few accounts and it is very hard to keep that money out of the market on a day like today. I keep thinking...well, really two years of expenses is probably enough and I could invest the other two...

I'm not buying anything. Prices are too high and need to come down a lot more for that to happen. Emerging markets are starting to look interesting, though.

I'm not buying anything. Prices are too high and need to come down a lot more for that to happen. Emerging markets are starting to look interesting, though.

Not everything is too high but the index is out of whack. Apple trades for 11 or 12x fwd earnings, Corning for 10x, Gilead for 9x while Netflix trades for 200x, Amazon for 97x, Chipotle for 35x.

We got into a period where growth or the appearance of growth was everything and you were told to pre-pay for all of that growth.

Maybe we are going to fix that now.

The quote above is strange. I get emails when someone posts on the thread that I've posted on. The email quoted Ronstar as posting the message "AT&T stock" not the above. Anyone know why there's a different message in my email? All other posts in this thread match the emails I received.

I started typing " AT&T stock" into what I thought was in a browser, but it was really in an er post. When I realized I typed it as a post in er.org, I edited the er post. I wanted to see what AT&T 52 week high and low was and had 2 apps going at the same time on my phone- a disaster.

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

If CVX meets or crosses below XOM , and WTI holds at or above $40 , I'm buying both CVX and XOM.. how's that for my half ass stock anaylis

I did some small buys today and yesterday, and will buy more if the market keeps going down. If the market goes up, I use the money for vacation.

Back
Top Bottom