BBY - Best Buy

bssc

Moderator Emeritus
The stock newsletter I follow had this as the stock of the month so I bought some. I figure if Circuit City is layoff their better customer service staff, people might go to Best Buy. The finances look good and there is a stock buy back program.

I had thought about buying some a year ago and looks to still be a value.....I might look to finally add some....I wouldnt compare CC to them much.....if you have every shopped at the 2, CC seems to just be limping along....

Hmmm...I bought a bunch about 10 years ago when it looked like a really cheap stock...and then bought some more when it went down a few months later.

Still looks to be a value huh? Seems a bit endemic...

Its a lousy business...eaten at from all sides by internet sales, warehouse clubs and the umpteen competitors...but it might be the best of a bad lot.

Its a lousy business...eaten at from all sides by internet sales, warehouse clubs and the umpteen competitors...but it might be the best of a bad lot.
Boy, you're sellin' the heck outta that one.

Meanwhile Intel jumped 4% to a new high on analyst optimism...

Retail sucks. Hell, walmart should be blowing the doors off given its dominance and expansion possibilities and its been flatlined for 7 years.

I think INTC has 30 in it...maybe 32.

Just wait until they snuff out AMD...who cant seem to stop stepping on the end of the rake all by themselves...and can turn up the profits a little bit.

Questions hang over AMD after show debacle

Basically AMD was supposed to launch some products that should have nearly caught them up to INTC...but failed...in the meanwhile, INTC sped up their new product releases and actually delivered...so now they're two steps ahead...

INTC has some huge advantages in manufacturing efficiency, and the shift to 45nm only sharpens that spike.

Geeze Bunny...Retail Sucks....Intel is making AMD bleed...thanks for all of the great insider information....;)

I think INTC has 30 in it...maybe 32.
Oh, I can wait. I once bought Apple around $11/share and sold at $15, and I swear I won't be so hasty again.

Basically AMD was supposed to launch some products that should have nearly caught them up to INTC...but failed...in the meanwhile, INTC sped up their new product releases and actually delivered...so now they're two steps ahead...
Must... resist... shorting... AMD... must not... be... greedy...

BUD (Budweiser) - now there's a business model I can understand.

I do remember a Coor's distributor in 1974 telling me when beer did well we were headed into a recession - DUH! 1974, aka AFTER the 73-74 stock meltdown. So much for inside info.

I understand Buffett is triming his postion a little.

heh heh heh - :D.

It isn't when beer does well we are GOING into a recession, it is 'when we are IN a recession people buy beer' ;)

So, we need an "unsocially conscious" fund, with stocks like:

Budweiser, Reynolds Tobacco, Phillip Morris, Kraft (Mac and Cheese folks), and then short:

Seagrams (too expensive)
BMW
Mercedes

etc...........:D

Walmart's been having trouble for years

Walmart has been losing ground to Target for years. When I bought Target in 2003, it was priced at a large discount to Walmart, PE-wise. Now Target actually trades at a premium to Walmart (and rightly so, IMO).

Walmart has had fairly anemic same store sales for years. They are getting a reputation for shoddy stores and products. Target has generally higher same store sales numbers, and has added a lucrative credit card operation to their business (the credit business adds risk too, though).

I'm not saying that Walmart is a bad stock to buy at this point. Just that their story has gotten a lot worse over the last 3-4 years and their stock price reflects that.

Retail sucks. Hell, walmart should be blowing the doors off given its dominance and expansion possibilities and its been flatlined for 7 years.

I suppose it's the fact that I worked at BBY for so long, but I could never see owning their stock. Then again, my wife works there now and we're doing almost $5k a year into their stock purchase plan (hey, a 15% discount helps take the sting out a little).

They seem to be making money in spite of themselves. Their IT 'investment' is hurting them a lot more than they realize. I'm not too keen on their buyback program. It's beneficial, sure, but that just tells me they're running out of new ideas for spending money.

Back
Top Bottom