Calling the market bottom

12:00 8/24 Dow down "only" 270 Whaaa?

I'll only give my prediction for a fee. If you want a higher prediction send me more money. If you want a lower prediction send me less money. Past performance is no guarantee of future prediction accuracy.

pretty much nails it

Attachments

• IzLb6BT.jpg
    IzLb6BT.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 68
Is it called DCA if you buy every hour on Black Monday?

I was 22% cash, but I went all in with my dry powder today.

I love all the Ken Moraif followers getting excited about hitting their "sell" point today.

I was going to say 15,000 but the last 1/2 hour has me a little concerned.
I mercifully was sleeping during the 1,000 point down session.

So my just for fun pick is Dow 14,345 on Sept 14. at 3:45 EDT:)

Last edited:
Wow, today the DOW closed below its 52 week low which it reached in the middle of the Ebola panic on 10/15/14.

Oops - not quite that low was 15855, and DOW closed at 15871. But today did set a new 52 week low at 15370, beating out the intraday low on 10/15/14.

The S&P500 closed over 10% below its all time high. It had officially corrected earlier in the day. It didn't get anywhere near the lows of 10/15/14 though. Intraday it was off 12.5% from the high.

Last edited:
Wow, today the DOW closed below its 52 week low which it reached in the middle of the Ebola panic on 10/15/14.

Oops - not quite that low was 15855, and DOW closed at 15871. But today did set a new 52 week low at 15370, beating out the intraday low on 10/15/14.

The S&P500 closed over 10% below its all time high. It had officially corrected earlier in the day. It didn't get anywhere near the lows of 10/15/14 though. Intraday it was off 12.5% from the high.

The last time I made a significant buy was 10/15/14, and today's lows are still not at that point, so I am staying put for now. If the market starts dropping below 10/15/14 levels, I will start buying in.

14,750 feels like a good number. I rebalanced today just in case my crystal ball is broken.

I think we have another 15% to go. Weak hands got shook out early and then margin calls came in around 2:00pm (that's why later afternoon retracement). Bounce tomorrow or Wed. Choppy for a while then slow slog back up.

Then again...what do I know!

I will say 14,000 as a bottom but it might only be a flash crash time there.

Where is money going to go other than in the stock market? 2% treasury bonds when inflation is 3%? 0.7% saving account?

How is money going to stay out of the market long when Apple, Intel, Gilead, Google, Microsoft, Corning, Merck are making tons of cash?

I would be shocked if it stays as low as 14,000 for more than an hour or two unless it is printed at a Friday close.

Calling the market bottom

Calling the market bottom should be easy. As I understand it, a bell will ring.

I'm not lifting a finger but will take the optimist's view for the OP's wager. There is clearly a lot of money sloshing out of the Chinese side of the swimming pool. It has to go somewhere, so the question is, where will it slosh TO? Looking around the world, the U.S. is the most attractive relative bright spot so, after the initial panic....Surfin' USA!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Cramer? Who's he? I'm standing pat with my 15000 prediction. Futures are way up this morning.

Cramer? Who's he? I'm standing pat with my 15000 prediction. Futures are way up this morning.

I think they mean Jim Cramer.

I know I'm in the minority here once again, but Jim has steered me toward some great stocks over the years. I'm "up" about $100K from where I'd be otherwise thanks to his insights.

I think they mean Jim Cramer.

I know I'm in the minority here once again, but Jim has steered me toward some great stocks over the years. I'm "up" about $100K from where I'd be otherwise thanks to his insights.

By doing the opposite of what he suggests?

By doing the opposite of what he suggests?

I did say I'm in the minority.

All I know is that he introduced me to some good opportunities. What you do with them after that is a matter of your own initiatives.

Back
Top Bottom