How do you manage your Dividend Portfolio?

Doug,

Thanks for the links on the Dividend growth investor. Ive already bookmarked it for future use.

I am hoping that one day soon, DW & I will sell our home here in CA and move to Oahu. Probably contact you offline to get some local knowledge and advice on real estate.

I was in Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th, 2010, to see my son re-enlist on the rear deck of the USS Missouri. He's an E-5 stationed at Schofield, already done one tour in Afghanistan.

Coolius

Thanks for the links on the Dividend growth investor. Ive already bookmarked it for future use.
I wish I'd seen that blog during my hyperactive stock-picking trader days. I much prefer this approach.

I am hoping that one day soon, DW & I will sell our home here in CA and move to Oahu. Probably contact you offline to get some local knowledge and advice on real estate.
Anytime. A good place to start is George Stott's newsletter at Stott.com. He retired from submarines in 1975 and now he's largely turned his real estate business over to his family, but he still writes a good monthly summary about Oahu real estate. Spouse and I are real-estate junkies so we have a number of contacts for questions.

I was in Pearl Harbor on Dec 7th, 2010, to see my son re-enlist on the rear deck of the USS Missouri. He's an E-5 stationed at Schofield, already done one tour in Afghanistan.
Must've been quite a crowd! That was the "grand re-opening" of the USS ARIZONA Memorial new visitor's center. Hope you got reserved parking...

The pocket guide is shipping this week, and when I get my copies I'm going to donate a book and some guides to Schofield's SGT Yano library. One of this board's posters has also donated copies of the book to be handed out to servicemembers. If your son is willing to review it and spread the word then he's welcome to contact me for his free copy. We live a few miles away from Schofield so I can meet him anywhere for the handoff.

Doug, thanks for the offer of the book. My son is not exactly the most responsible guy when it comes to managing finances, but he should benefit from it.

Right now, he is going to NC to train for representing the US Army ( beach volleyball ) at the 2011 CISM World Military Games in Rio De Janerio. I'll have him contact you when he returns, can you PM me your phone number?

Thanks for your willingness to help us out. I am excited about the possibility of moving to "paradise", and will be very grateful for your guidance & advice, especially about real estate.

Coolius

First of all I would hardly ever consider a common equity paying more than 5% dividend. A high dividend is a sign that the dividend is not secure or there is little prospect of growth(or both). Like Cycling ,I tend to be in the 3-3.5% yield range. Minimal rebalancing as this would cause tax since all my positions are above the cost base. Buying more positions as excess funds become available. All I really care about are the dividends. These are starting to increase nicely now. Don't really understand why someone would feel the need to use an ETF for dividend investing. Diversification would seem to be less a concern when investing in these well established co's. Why pay away 50bp's of yield(Canada) when it is easy to do it yourself? More tax efficient too.

I have to disagree with you on this one. I look for continual increases in payouts and buy when there seems to be no reason for the price to be depressed. Lately I purchased MSFT, INTC & PBI and sold the first 2 after 2 & 4 weeks for 7%

My other buys have been TOT (bought 4 times in the last year & sold 3 times, making 10-15% each trade plus dividends)...divy is 5-6%

I have NLY which doesn't go up much, but who cares at 14% divy?

BMY just popped and still pays 5%; I'm up like 15% on this one...

ABT has raised their dividend often, so has T & INTC in the past year; sold INTC 2 times in 6 months for 20% & 7% gains.

Look for down on their luck or cycles in companies and the divy's will hold up their stock price (in most cases, not all, e.g. CSCO).

I also own DUK; 5% divy & I'm up 10% in about 4 months.

Well, the past few days were like WWIII from a financial perspective.

Thursday seemed bad enough, and the only bad hits were from my Oil & Gas majors, my preferred shares seemed OK.

This morning, woke up to see them down about 4-6% on average, and well below par value. Some hedge fund must have felt the need to dump shares indiscriminately, and dump they did, down to about 2008 levels.

But, I consider my preferred shares to be like an ultra long CD, with a maturity value of $25. Thus far, I have received enough in dividends to look on them as having been acquired at par and now enjoy 6-7% annual dividends.

Now, my Oil & Gas majors ( CVX, COP, RDS.B, LINE ) - that was bloody. :(

Back
Top Bottom