Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-22-2015, 02:22 PM   #621
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
While i also hate the rising healthcare, apparently cost increases these kasr 3-4 years have been the smallest increases in a very long time. Still increases, nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I wish I could say the same. I am saving maybe $50-$75 a month from gas from a year ago. But my health insurance is up over $200 a month same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2015, 02:52 PM   #622
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It is possible that we find ourselves in a game-over situation. What if low interest rates, low oil and other commodity prices, recessionary trends in China and bizarre mental processes on campus, like preoccupation with "microagressions", are all coming from the same thing, the twilight of our political-economic paradigm? If so, our ideas about what can be expected will likely be off, since we really haven't been here before.
+1
My personal view is that the game ended a few decades ago and we're just trundling along on inertia; sort of like Rome that kept staggering on for a few more centuries.

OTOH (and I'm not even an economist!) it seems that the worst never comes to fruition.

I submitted to a thread a few years ago here about how each decade had unrealized fears of: nuclear attack, overpopulation, global freezing, running out of oil, AIDS and global warming (before it became climate change) and other 'end of world' catastrophes that were going to end us.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #623

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
My personal view is that the game ended a few decades ago and we're just trundling along on inertia; sort of like Rome that kept staggering on for a few more centuries.
Sad to contemplate...but likely true.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:08 PM   #624
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
the twilight of our political-economic paradigm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

With these last few posts, I know where to come now to get depressed...
Old 12-22-2015, 03:26 PM   #625
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
With these last few posts, I know where to come now to get depressed...

Im not an optimist by nature, but am not dismally negative. I just think economy will muddle along... Long yields will stay on lower end for extended more period of time, market is priced too high, bonds too low... So I buy preferreds from safe profitable companies that pay higher yields and not worry about finding growth in a low growth economy. Just take the yield and run. Who knows....

Old 12-22-2015, 04:36 PM   #626
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Just take the yield and run. Who knows....
that may be the best game around for awhile
Old 12-22-2015, 05:58 PM   #627
Recycles dryer sheets

Is oil price at the bottom already? Some economists think it is while other point out to much lower price due to very possible recession in 2016.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #628

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFK57 View Post
Is oil price at the bottom already? Some economists think it is while other point out to much lower price due to very possible recession in 2016.
Oil is definitely putting in at least a short term bottom based on how the market is reacting, whether it is a final bottom who knows? As for why there is lower prices it seems clear to me the economy overall is on a treadmill of lower usage of labor or materials to purchase items which requires lower cost processes. Optimization of shipping production and retail is increasing all the time. Viewing the usage of human labor as waste in the production of goods is leading to lower and lower usage of human capital and ever increasing levels of technology and mechanical labor. This is also true at production sites of new oil drill sites as many of these sites have been made far more productive than prior drill sites lowering the cost per barrel and increasing production, price is usually set at the margin.

Robots are coming for your job: Amazon, McDonald’s and the next wave of dangerous capitalist “disruption” - Salon.com

Oil Companies Tap New Technologies to Lower Production Costs - WSJ

This has been seen in all the oil calls as each company continues to expect the others to cut production while each company is touting it's own new highly efficient means of production that will let it lift production 4-8 percent with less labor. Overall the cut in interest has made giant leaps in technology affordable for companies.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:51 PM   #629
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
Oil is definitely putting in at least a short term bottom based on how the market is reacting, whether it is a final bottom who knows? As for why there is lower prices it seems clear to me the economy overall is on a treadmill of lower usage of labor or materials to purchase items which requires lower cost processes. Optimization of shipping production and retail is increasing all the time. Viewing the usage of human labor as waste in the production of goods is leading to lower and lower usage of human capital and ever increasing levels of technology and mechanical labor. This is also true at production sites of new oil drill sites as many of these sites have been made far more productive than prior drill sites lowering the cost per barrel and increasing production, price is usually set at the margin.

Robots are coming for your job: Amazon, McDonald’s and the next wave of dangerous capitalist “disruption” - Salon.com

Oil Companies Tap New Technologies to Lower Production Costs - WSJ

This has been seen in all the oil calls as each company continues to expect the others to cut production while each company is touting it's own new highly efficient means of production that will let it lift production 4-8 percent with less labor. Overall the cut in interest has made giant leaps in technology affordable for companies.

And it has happened quickly hasnt it.... It wasnt a couple years ago Canadian tar sands were quoted production costs north of $70 a barrel. Suncor has it under $30 already... "The best cure for low oil prices is low oil prices" is still probably true. But the mechanisms for this occurring has changed dramatically. And all the while Exxon stock just acts like this is all just a minor blip. Crazy stuff...

Old 12-22-2015, 08:04 PM   #630
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I just returned from North Dakota last Friday working on a bankrupt oil service company (workout and possible sale candidate). Everything in the Bakken is at a standstill. The only oilfield activity is related to servicing existing production that is not shut in. It's bleak.

Oil sold out of the area was ranging from $20 - 30 BBL as transportation costs are on top of that.

So has oil bottomed? As RM said above, probably for the short term. Since all oilfield costs are coming down (including drilling, which is not happening), there may be better days ahead as labor costs are coming in. Given what is going on in the industry on a worldwide basis, no way would I make a call on the price of oil next year.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #631
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

I think we will see the bottom for oil in 2016. If this keeps going on much longer we will see some countries go down hard (Venezuela, Brazil, Iraq, etc).

The bottom may be in for AMLP (mlp etf). Its up again today, 4.45% right now. Its been up around 5% the last two days as well. Might have a 15% gain in three days. The dividend yield has now fallen to 10%.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:02 PM   #632
Give me a forum ...

Bloomberg has an article saying some investors are either fearing or betting that oil may even drop to $15/barrel.

Oh boy! Will we again see gasoline cheaper than bottled water? This was outrageous, but true.

Extreme Oil Bears Bet on $25, $20 and Even $15 a Barrel in 2016 - Bloomberg Business
Old 12-24-2015, 04:30 PM   #633

Heard oil was up like 9% this week.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:07 PM   #634
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Heard oil was up like 9% this week.
Better top up before it goes higher.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:54 PM   #635
Give me a forum ...

Having sold quite a bit of energy stocks earlier in the year, I started to buy them back.

Yesterday, I bought back OIH, an oil service ETF with constituents like Schlumberger and Halliburton.

Also wrote a cash-covered put on XLE. This latter ETF covering oil producers like Exxon and Chevron, I still have some shares, so only make a small option play.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:07 PM   #636
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a good article explaining the world's oil situation. It is really written to explain the recent lifting of the U.S. ban on selling crude oil worldwide, but the article does a good job pointing out the situation in detail.

Quote:
Congress’ decision to lift the 40-year U.S. ban on crude oil exports reflects the same misinformed and distorted thinking that declares that the world’s highest cost producer–tight oil–can somehow also be the world’s swing producer.

The 1975 export ban was enacted because of the disastrous economic consequences of becoming dependent on imports following the peaking of U.S. oil production in 1970. Now that oil production is again close to peak levels, we have apparently forgotten that imports were the problem then and that we import twice as much today as in 1975.
Forbes Welcome
Old 12-28-2015, 04:24 PM   #637

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Here's a good article explaining the world's oil situation. It is really written to explain the recent lifting of the U.S. ban on selling crude oil worldwide, but the article does a good job pointing out the situation in detail.

Forbes Welcome
Interesting article, thanks for sharing. Investment or gamble, I'm still buying big oil....
Old 01-04-2016, 01:34 AM   #638
Recycles dryer sheets

A couple of weeks back, we bought about $10k of VDE, an index of mostly oil related stocks. Our thinking was that the oil stocks had been hammered and by now should be in a position to go up. We're down 5% so far, but I'll let you know in a couple of years if this was a good move or not.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #639

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Hey, Chipotle has done a great job, no doubt, but you're still comparing growth rates off of bases that are an order of magnitude different. Lots of companies grow strong out of the gate. Will Chipolte still be doing great in 10 years? Or will it fall by the wayside like a large percentage or restaurant companies do?

How big do you think Chipotle is going to get? That PE of 55 is going to take a massive amount of fast growth to justify. Although a little less will be needed tomorrow when the stock opens.

I'm not sure comparing book values of a company that funds massive dividends and buybacks and one that still mostly building out new restaurants really makes much sense. Would you like MCD more if it had kept all that cash sitting around?

On the plus side, CMG just authorized expanding their stock buyback, so they will spend $200 million of that book value reducing their share count by 1%.

I think I'll stick with MCD. We'll see how things look in 2025.
Sometimes looking back can make you feel smart. Money not lost is just as good as money made.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:48 PM   #640

T Boone Pickens is just killing me! A year ago he predicted by end of 2015 oil would be 70-75. Today he says by the end of the year oil will be 70-75, he was only off by a year!! After stating that Oil then collapses in price. Now I do not pretend to know what the price of oil will be by year end, possible to be 75 also possible to be $15.00. This year is the year of major pain for oil and the related dependent companies if the price does not recover, to bank on a recovery is not a plan, it is wishful thinking. Remember that when you pick companies to invest in......