Join Early Retirement Today

Increasing Equity Exposure in Retirement?
Old 03-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Increasing Equity Exposure in Retirement?

Read an interesting article in a Canadian business newspaper, the Financial Post, that talked about increasing equity exposure in retirement instead of the common rule of thumb of reducing it (ie ~100-Age=Equity exposure). It was written by Jason Heath, a CFP who is a regular contributor to a number of personal finance sites.

I likely don't do the article justice but in a nutshell...
The article is based on a publication by Wade Pfau and Michael Kitces in the Journal of Financial Planning: Reducing Retirement Risk with a Rising Equity Glide Path. He notes the common rule of thumb is that the success of your retirement portfolio is dependent on your sequence of returns; good returns in your early years will hopefully make poor returns in later years insignificant. However, reducing equity exposure in later years may prevent your portfolio from recovering if you experience poor returns in your early years. Increasing equity exposure allows you to capitalize on returns when the markets recover. Pfau and Kitces' research apparently seems to indicate that overall, a rising equity glide paths from conservative starting points can achieve superior results compared to steady or declining equity ratios.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2016, 12:01 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

My retirement funds are over 99% in equities but I don't plan to touch them until RMD is forced on me and may just roll them over to taxable accounts then. Living expenses are covered until then by savings and an A**uity I bought when I was 40 yrs old and didn't know better - Ha ha. - SS will kick in prior to needing any retirement funds unless armageddon occurs and it won't make any difference then anyway!

Old 03-28-2016, 12:03 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The concept is to balance the portfolio risk with the sequence-of-returns risk. The sequence-of-returns risk is maximum just before and after one retires.

Based on that the authors turn the traditional portfolio upside down and have lots of bonds when you retire and then fewer bonds as you age.

There were some threads discussing this both here and on the Bogelheads forum around 6 months ago when the paper was published.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:05 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

A previous discussion of the topic: Increase stocks with age

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
The concept is to balance the portfolio risk with the sequence-of-returns risk. The sequence-of-returns risk is maximum just before and after one retires.

Based on that the authors turn the traditional portfolio upside down and have lots of bonds when you retire and then fewer bonds as you age.

There were some threads discussing this both here and on the Bogelheads forum around 6 months ago when the paper was published.
Thanks! I will look for the threads.