Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-14-2016, 12:26 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On occasion I switch on Cramer but can't seem to take his ranting too long. After I feel worn out from viewing Jim, I then change to Making Money with Charles Payne on FBC that is on at the same time.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
On occasion I switch on Cramer but can't seem to take his ranting too long. After I feel worn out from viewing Jim, I them change to Making Money with Charles Payne on FBC that is on at the same time.
Almost a +1.

I just can't watch Cramer anymore, unless it's for a laugh. But I do like Charles Payne on FBC. I like Stuart Varney too (but not as much as Payne). Trish Regan isn't bad either, get some news, market info (to consider, like with any talking head) and is very easy on the eyes.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
On occasion I switch on Cramer but can't seem to take his ranting too long. After I feel worn out from viewing Jim, I then change to Making Money with Charles Payne on FBC that is on at the same time.

I like him on his morning gig more than his show...The caffeine hasnt fully kicked in yet and Faber helps keep him mellow in the A.M.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:10 PM   #24
gone traveling

Jim Cramer's stock picks trail market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Well since you continued it....And I know you didnt mention it but Papa did... I never have heard of Jim Cramer personally going bankrupt. I did a cursory look on net and didn't find it.
It appeared for a long time he was a very successful hedge fund manager. Probably a very stressful job... He is just doing the John Madden thing. Moving from the field up to the booth in a less stressful talking head job. Who can blame him.

Cramer Might not have declared bankruptcy. But he was homeless for a while. http://www.businessinsider.com/jim-c...his-car-2013-2

The "Mad Money" host hit rock bottom early in his career—at the time he was working as a journalist and making next to nothing. After a thief broke into his modest California apartment and stole absolutely everything, Cramer had nothing left and nowhere to go.
Cramer was living out of his car.
"I was living hand to mouth, and people would take me in now and then so I could get a shower, change, get a good night's sleep," he explained.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:20 PM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I represented creditors in bankruptcy court for many years. There are sound reasons why we allow individuals to get a fresh start and businesses to reorganize in bankruptcy. With respect to individuals, who would ever take an entrepreneurial risk if the downside is that they are forced to be indentured servants to their creditors should the risk not pan out? We gave up the idea of debtor's prisons long ago. And for businesses, many of them are not bad businesses per se, but their current finances are bad. By allowing reorganization and recapitalization, instead of insisting on liquidation, we keep businesses alive to make useful products, employ people and pay taxes. The benefits of bankruptcy were recognized by the Founders, which is why it is in the Constitution. (Article I, Section 8, clause 4). Would could debate other variations on the theme that it is not a matter of personal morality, it's just business. But as you noted, that would be a digression from the thread.

To be fiscally completely irresponsible ...and to make a come back advising the rest of the world on money matters is fairly egregious.

Of course we also have politicians who go to jail and then return to office, we have sports figures who throw games /fights/deflate game balls/etc yet play on. And of course we have people who cheat on taxes and never get caught, default on mortgages yet continue to live in the home and even some who run with scissors and never trip or poke their eye out .

Gotta love the American way.

As a friend once said. If u ain't cheatin' then u ain't playin ...
Old 05-14-2016, 10:24 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Cramer Might not have declared bankruptcy. But he was homeless for a while. Jim Cramer Used To Live Out Of His Car - Business Insider

The "Mad Money" host hit rock bottom early in his career—at the time he was working as a journalist and making next to nothing. After a thief broke into his modest California apartment and stole absolutely everything, Cramer had nothing left and nowhere to go.
Cramer was living out of his car.
"I was living hand to mouth, and people would take me in now and then so I could get a shower, change, get a good night's sleep," he explained.
By that logic, going from homeless and dead broke to where he is now, worth somewhere between $50-100mil, perhaps he is worth listening to.

I don't use that logic myself. I never could stand listening to the guy for long, even when I was picking and trading individual stocks.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:59 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
By that logic, going from homeless and dead broke to where he is now, worth somewhere between $50-100mil, perhaps he is worth listening to.

I don't use that logic myself. I never could stand listening to the guy for long, even when I was picking and trading individual stocks.

That was kind of what I was thinking. He did run a very successful hedge fund afterwards. It wasn't like he was broke in a car and made his fortune on money writing books. Like you I never have bought anything from a tip of his. But I enjoy his morning commentary occasionally.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:47 AM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
That was kind of what I was thinking. He did run a very successful hedge fund afterwards. It wasn't like he was broke in a car and made his fortune on money writing books. Like you I never have bought anything from a tip of his. But I enjoy his morning commentary occasionally.

How rich are the subscribers do his service? Where are all the customer yachts? Jim sells a service where he says you can beat the market yet he does not, you can listen and make your own mind up but warren Buffett has a quote you might consider, don't ask a barber if you need a haircut. I say don't take investing advice from a talk show host selling a stock subscription service.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:15 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloney50 View Post
How rich are the subscribers do his service? Where are all the customer yachts? Jim sells a service where he says you can beat the market yet he does not, you can listen and make your own mind up but warren Buffett has a quote you might consider, don't ask a barber if you need a haircut. I say don't take investing advice from a talk show host selling a stock subscription service.

I have no problem with what you are saying, and in fact I agree....However that isnt even NEAR the realm of my previous point. ...My point was in reference to someone being penniless after college and then making a fortune running a hedge fund that stomped the S&P for what a decade, is not the same as someone being penniless and then hawking his services with no proven record. Previous poster implied he was bankrupt and then made a dubious fortune. I dont think one can lump his Wall Street career in with the likes of Dave Ramsey.
As stated several times I dont need to make up my mind because there never was a reason too. His only purpose is modest entertainment for me. Now if I can have a time machine, I am all in with his hedge fund!
Old 05-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Check your ego's in at the sign in, until very recently he was beating the S&P not counting divi's, Guess what he donates to charities so he doesn't reinvest divi's. There's so many smart people here, he even recommends to invest your retirement money in a 60/40 type fund. That's why its's called MAD MONEY.

And this statement right in the article

There are a number of factors at play in why Action Alerts Plus has underperformed the market, including most prominently the fact that the fund keeps a large cash position so that it can donate money to charity.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:09 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

First I've never understood if the Cramer doesn't beat the market crowd actually follows his advise or just the headlines.. ie if he recommends Apple on Thursday (do they buy on Thursday) or actually do what he says by listening to the earnings call the next Tuesday and if X happens then put 25% in and if Y happens wait for a pullback and then do Z.

Second, no money manager is right all the time, that's why he provides advise on what to look for and you then do your own homework...ie I like him because he repeats his theme, ie do your homework. He brings in CEOs and interviews them which I also enjoy. He talks about stocks I don't know about ..picked up IP that way. His am I diversified segment is old hat to most but it really got me thinking about my funds and made me be way more disciplined..which saved me a lot (having been way too leveraged in Telecom).

For me he's been a positive to my portfolio. I felt more confident picking up dividend stock during the last crash and they have really paid off, way more than the mutual funds. I'm about 2% better on individual stock picks than mutual funds over the last 7 years. Especially thanks to some winners like Altria (found during one of his rants about what to pick during recessions.. oh yes smoking and alcohol).

He's now the best, but he's not bad and worth a listen from time to time. I tend to tune him in most when the market takes a significant downturn and I can't figure out why..its always worth a second opinion.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

One interesting thing Cramer occasionally mentions is that Steve Ballmer was his roommate in college. (Bill Gates second in command, long time Microsoft CEO)

Cramer is very emotional and his calls are super short term. So watching him for investment advice will make your head spin. He was dead right on the warning he gave the Fed in 2007. Was ridiculed at the time, but later vindicated. Unfortunately some other loudmouths tried to mimic that stunt.

He never declared bankruptcy as far as I know.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:50 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Perhaps.

But one wonders why someone with that kind of talent would give up the chance to become a billionaire hedge fund manager to be a millionaire T.V. personality instead.
Because not everyone is greedy and the stress involved.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:56 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I used to watch Cramer occasionally for entertainment. Never followed his recommendations, so would not know if it would work or not.

I have not had access to CNBC for a few years now. My TV has not been on for quite some time.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:02 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska55 View Post
Because not everyone is greedy and the stress involved.

The pressure to perform had to be incredible. I equate what he did to what other championship coaches did...Got out and became a sports tv commentator; Jimmy Johnson, John Madden, Ara Parseghian, Bill Cowher, etc.. Same thing....
Old 05-16-2016, 06:08 PM   #36

It's important to remember what he is and what he isn't. He is a media figure and an entertainer. He is a very short term trader (even more short term than a market timer). What he is *not* is a financial planner for the masses. Take it all with a grain of salt, and with that perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
He was dead right on the warning he gave the Fed in 2007. Was ridiculed at the time, but later vindicated.
Yeah, I remember that. But I also remember Elaine Garzarelli "calling" the crash of '87. And that elevated her to guruhood even though her long term record wasn't, and hasn't been, much better than a dartboard. Predict enough crises and eventually you will be right, and then their job is to remind you of the times they were right and get you to forget about the times they were wrong.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:00 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Off topic a little ....

Not many of the financial heads out there made their money investing. Most made their cash by selling...investment books.

Suze Orman was bankrupt
Jim Cramer was bankrupt
Dave Ramsey was bankrupt
Kiyosaki's company went bankrupt

Does anyone REALLY trust these supposed gurus? There's something deeply unethical about bankruptcy in my mind. Kinda like a cheating spouse. Sure you can forgive but few can totally forget ...
First you say this
Old 05-17-2016, 02:07 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
To be fiscally completely irresponsible ...and to make a come back advising the rest of the world on money matters is fairly egregious.

Of course we also have politicians who go to jail and then return to office, we have sports figures who throw games /fights/deflate game balls/etc yet play on. And of course we have people who cheat on taxes and never get caught, default on mortgages yet continue to live in the home and even some who run with scissors and never trip or poke their eye out .

Gotta love the American way.

As a friend once said. If u ain't cheatin' then u ain't playin ...
And then say this without knowing the whole story. I would call that irresponsible. Why don't you buy the book and read it, Alot of people have money problems right out school. He came from a middle class family.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:15 AM   #39
gone traveling

Well... Believe what ever investing tips you want. Invest how you like. No irresponsibility. Dig a little deeper and most of their shine and glitter rubs off...

Just pointing out some truth - these famous book-selling charlatans of financial advice... Not just Cramer ...are mostly full of their own hot air.

I'd never trust a book salesman. ...That's what these bozos on tv are ....

Cramer may be a notch above the rest... He didn't go bankrupt. He Just lived out of his car for a while and had no money....

To his credit he gives to charity and he made a good call on the fed back in 08 when he about scared poor Erin Burnett to death on tv with his "they know nothing" speech.

Booya ski daddy.... Seriously ... Let's see the wins and losses of Cramerica ...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-0...ecommendations

"Currently Cramer has an F grade on PunditTracker.com. Let’s walk through how we arrive at that score...."
Old 05-17-2016, 11:26 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It's important to remember what he is and what he isn't. He is a media figure and an entertainer. He is a very short term trader (even more short term than a market timer). What he is *not* is a financial planner for the masses. Take it all with a grain of salt, and with that perspective.

Yeah, I remember that. But I also remember Elaine Garzarelli "calling" the crash of '87. And that elevated her to guruhood even though her long term record wasn't, and hasn't been, much better than a dartboard. Predict enough crises and eventually you will be right, and then their job is to remind you of the times they were right and get you to forget about the times they were wrong.
But he wasn't calling a simple market crash. He was telling the Fed that they were asleep at the wheel and not understanding how incredibly serious the situation was in terms of the financial system and that they needed to wake up and do something.

It's the only time I ever remember him predicting a financial crisis. He usually sticks to companies and stocks.