Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sold the Biotech today pocketing 6%, when I saw the thing turn around and start to drop. The gain got me a few tanks of gas for the guzzler RV, not enough for the whole trip but every bit helps.

I also sold a bit of emerging market ETFs a couple of days ago, a bit too soon as they surged another 7%. Darn, market timing is hard!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #362
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Im still holding my IBB puts and still have a decent profit but obviously they are cheaper than they were a couple days ago

Old 04-10-2015, 05:56 PM   #363
Recycles dryer sheets

LOL!'s Market Timing Newsletter

utrecht, why do you say IBB looks sick? More M&A activity in the space, other data says market not likely to drop near term. Euro rates making it hard to raise rates in US very much without driving dollar even stronger. What am I missing?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothman View Post
utrecht, why do you say IBB looks sick? More M&A activity in the space, other data says market not likely to drop near term. Euro rates making it hard to raise rates in US very much without driving dollar even stronger. What am I missing?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I was talking about the very short term (since this is a market timing thread). IBB has been in a very nice upward trend for quite a while but recently it went parabolic. It had to pull back, which it did. It dropped about 10% but now has recovered somewhat. I really thought it would fall further. Im still holding puts with a decent profit but nothing like I had a week ago. IBB is back at the top of the channel now so any misstep in the market and I expect another 5-10% pullback in IBB.

Again, Im only talking short term. Long term, I have no clue.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:56 PM   #365
Give me a forum ...

And I sold my biotech ETF too soon. It surged another 4.7% since I sold it yesterday. Son of a gun!

Now, I have to wait a while to short it.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:15 AM   #366
Full time employment: Posting here.

I sold a significant amount of VTSAX yesterday, partly to do some needed rebalancing and partly because I expect to buy a car in the next few weeks. So this was by no means a market timing move. However, seeing that the S&P 500 closed at a record high yesterday, I decided for my own amusement to post it here so that I can track it as if it were a market timing sale. If the market continues to climb to new highs before I actually need the money, I will mentally chalk it up to an extra opportunity cost that added to the expense of the car. Conversely, if the market dips enough for me to repurchase my shares at a lower price, my mental bookkeeping will credit me with a favorable trade that, in effect, lowered the price of the car.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:15 AM   #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
I was talking about the very short term (since this is a market timing thread). IBB has been in a very nice upward trend for quite a while but recently it went parabolic. It had to pull back, which it did. It dropped about 10% but now has recovered somewhat. I really thought it would fall further. Im still holding puts with a decent profit but nothing like I had a week ago. IBB is back at the top of the channel now so any misstep in the market and I expect another 5-10% pullback in IBB.

Again, Im only talking short term. Long term, I have no clue.
When I posted this on 4/10 IBB was trading at 358. It has now dropped over 5% to 339. I just sold my May 360 puts for a 46% profit.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:50 AM   #368
Give me a forum ...

And I still have my biotech bearish ETF. I bought it more than a week ago. It surged 8% yesterday on bad news with a couple of smaller biotech companies, and that spooked investors. Today, it surged another 4%. I will wait a bit longer.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:38 PM   #369

Well, that was fast. Today we found a car that we liked in our price range, so we are now poorer in money but richer in wheels and shiny chrome hubcaps. Taking stock, I see that VTSAX closed today roughly 2/3 of a percent lower than when I sold on Friday. So my "market timing" turned a profit. The amount is paltry, but I feel very fortunate to pick the very best day to sell and have the money available when I needed it.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:50 PM   #370
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karluk View Post
So my "market timing" turned a profit. The amount is paltry, but I feel very fortunate to pick the very best day to sell and have the money available when I needed it.
This is how it starts--innocently enough. Now you've had a taste. Before you know it you'll be tracking 200 day moving averages, Bollinger bands, Elliot waves, and seeing all kinds of patterns in charts.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:06 PM   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
This is how it starts--innocently enough. Now you've had a taste. Before you know it you'll be tracking 200 day moving averages, Bollinger bands, Elliot waves, and seeing all kinds of patterns in charts.
Yes, all of my friends are telling me to open my own hedge fund. Now that I've shown my prowess at trading, investors will be flocking to put their money in the hands of a guy with the Midas touch.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:55 PM   #372
Give me a forum ...

Since the REIT index VNQ has dropped quite a bit (more than 4% in past couple of days) and since the FOMC said interest rates will be stable, I loaded up on VNQ today. It closed UP from my purchase price plus the TIAA-CREF Real Estate account went UP today, too.

This is a bit scary since VNQ is so volatile. This is a short-term trade, so I intend to sell if it goes up within a week or so. If it goes down, then I'm screwed.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #373
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And I still have my biotech bearish ETF. I bought it more than a week ago. It surged 8% yesterday on bad news with a couple of smaller biotech companies, and that spooked investors. Today, it surged another 4%. I will wait a bit longer.
Sold this biotech short ETF earlier today. I missed its top yesterday, and only got a bitty gain. Oh well.

This market is really crazy, and I should not be doing this short-term trading while RV'ing and not getting ready access to the market.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #374
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
This is a bit scary since VNQ is so volatile. This is a short-term trade, so I intend to sell if it goes up within a week or so. If it goes down, then I'm screwed.
Started selling these shares of VNQ today that were bought last week. The first tranch got sold at a 2.99% gain for the week.

But it has been dicey with VNQ closing lower than my purchase price earlier this week. I am conflicted about greed and fear, so I want to hold to make more money, but I fear that VNQ will trail lower from here to the end of the day. So i didn't sell all the shares that were purchased, but may sell more later in the day.

Here is a 5-day chart with trading so far today:

We won't know what happens off the right-hand side for a few hours.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #375

The market loved the Friday jobs number as indicated by the feasting on equities.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:55 AM   #376
Give me a forum ...

On May 8th, I wrote:
Quote:
[]
We won't know what happens off the right-hand side for a few hours.
Now we know: VNQ just kept going down in price:

I should have sold all shares when I sold some shares, but I didn't.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:38 AM   #377

For the record, I see the market getting a nice pop in the next 2-3 weeks. I predict SPY finally breaks above 212 and makes it to 217+
Old 05-13-2015, 10:24 AM   #378
Give me a forum ...

From your mouth to God's ear.. my YTD returns have flatlined.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:11 AM   #379
Give me a forum ...

With an overweight to international I am beating my benchmark by 33%. And that's despite VNQ not being too cooperative here.

I feel like shorting VNQ when it goes up after selling.

I would welcome a nice pop anytime though.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #380

Quote:
With an overweight to international I am beating my benchmark by 33%. And that's despite VNQ not being too cooperative here.

I feel like shorting VNQ when it goes up after selling.

I would welcome a nice pop anytime though.

My "benchmark" (at least, the top-level stock/bond split) is the Vanguard 2025 target fund. If I were to sell anything today (I won't till 2016), the international funds would agree with what you say.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote