Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Amgen, Inc. Earnings: Restructuring Efforts Are Beginning to Pay Off (AMGN)

Nice writeup on Amgen's quarterly results which were very good.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Running_man, fill me in on your psychology. Are you worried that you'll buy back in higher than where you sold out? We're still a bit below where you sold out, but things can move quickly. I'd be pretty worried and obsessing over the markets if it were me (not wanting to buy in too late).

I know you're only partially out of the market right now so maybe that's enough hedging to not worry you too much.
No I am not worried at all actually, I never really thought that much of the sell off but now think everyone here is getting a second chance to follow my lead and sell, market is moving so fast and in the fifth year of a bull market that is not a positive sign unless my second scenario comes into play where the market, on the back of unrestrained global easing explodes upwards, in which case I will get back in if it closes over 2020.

The late bull market volatility is showing nervousness from market participants and could be a preview to some panic selling. But as I said nothing really has occurred.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
Amgen, Inc. Earnings: Restructuring Efforts Are Beginning to Pay Off (AMGN)

Nice writeup on Amgen's quarterly results which were very good.
With Amgen announcing they are raising the dividend 30% and plan on paying 60% of earnings as a policy going forward until at least 2018, buying back 2B of stock (not a fan), new sell point due to valuation for me now is 215 a share.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:03 PM   #144
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
In many instances once you reach the 200 day moving average, there is a attempted rally that fails to make a new high and subsequently takes out the 200 day moving average. With that in mind, On Friday I bought SPY for what will probably be a quick trade.
Sold the SPY today at 2011, now back to 50/50 AA.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

From 9/10/2014 -
Quote:
.... so I sold this morning while S&P500 was at 1986. I will get back in if the market can close above 2020. ....
So you are back in? Be interesting to see where we go from here.

S&P 500 (^GSPC) 2,023.56

Are you sticking to the original plan? If it drops to 1986, will you sell again, and buy back at 2020? Or some other plan at this point?

-ERD50
Old 11-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #146

"Far more money has been lost by investors protecting themselves from market downturns than from the downturns themselves."
- Peter Lynch

"Any strategy that involves predicting returns, especially short-term returns, is likely to be a dud."
- Jonathan Clements

"Dazzled by their own knowledge and oblivious to the fact that other people are at least as knowledgeable, millions of investors move their money around every day...The end result is not a portfolio but a hodgepodge, a mishmash, a slop bucket full of market goulash."

"In the stock market, much of what seems to be patterns is, in fact, just random noise."
- Jason Zweig
Old 11-06-2014, 02:10 PM   #147

Back into the market today around noon, S&P @ 2025, ironically on the day Draghi is taling up more European QE prospects. Back at 50% exposure.Move proved I am a nit. It is much better for my portfolio here though!
Old 11-06-2014, 03:02 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

I often have to remind myself of Dr.Bill Bernstein's missive~ "If you've won the game, why keep playing?"

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I often have to remind myself of Dr.Bill Bernstein's missive~ "If you've won the game, why keep playing?"
You only know if you have won the day you die. Then, well, you don't really know either. The game really never ends, you just get on and off at a time and place not of your choosing.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

True, investing is a game that never ends.

Well, it does end when you are broke or dead.

Meanwhile, I will keep on playin'.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
You only know if you have won the day you die. Then, well, you don't really know either. The game really never ends, you just get on and off at a time and place not of your choosing.
I was going to counter that thought, you know the usual "I have 2x the amount of cash I will spend over next 20 yrs in the bank".

But it always depends upon things being relatively normal, there are lots of countries where normal changed drastically, and anyone thinking they were all set had a rude surprise. (ex Pompeii, Communist takeover in China, Fidel in Cuba, Poland 1939, Syria, East Germans when wall fell, Russia when turned somewhat Capitalist).

Point being a person could have already won the game, and be good for years smug in that thought, when suddenly the unexpected happens and they are poor smucks again.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #152

Quote:
Back into the market today around noon, S&P @ 2025, ironically on the day Draghi is taling up more European QE prospects. Back at 50% exposure.Move proved I am a nit. It is much better for my portfolio here though!
I wouldn't say you were a "nit'. (Actually, I've never said anyone was a "nit"). You had an idea, reasoned it out, turned it into a plan, implemented the plan and followed through. You made yourself accountable. Sounds commendable to me. It seems there was no great harm done, so you still ain't gonna' work on Maggie's farm no more.

I hope that you continue to share your investment ideas, theories, plans, etc..
Old 11-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post

+1
Old 11-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #154
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I think you proved a very important point for all of us. Perhaps not the one you would have liked to have proven, but an important point nonetheless:

"Stay the course".

I'm glad that I stayed in and bought a bit more at the bottom. I'll remember this lesson the next time as well.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.Move proved I am a nit. It is much better for my portfolio here though!

Yup. All the rest of us are 100% right all the time in all our investment decision.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #156

Currently with my portfolio I'm 50% right and 50% wrong 100% of the time.

But even when I'm right I'm only half right. I have vanguard VT for example, and not VTI.

Guess which one outperformed the other in the past 5 years
Old 11-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Well, it may be my turn to sell some, although I am not at my all-time high.

Sitting at 70% stock as I write this...
Old 11-06-2014, 06:18 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Well, it may be my turn to sell some, although I am not at my all-time high.

Sitting at 70% stock as I write this...
I'm at 71%. I sold some a few couple of weeks back at about this same level. If tomorrow is up I may sell some more. Getting cash out for next year.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

For me, I want to free up some cash so I can buy back at the next correction. It's just what a market timer does.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I wouldn't say you were a "nit'. (Actually, I've never said anyone was a "nit"). You had an idea, reasoned it out, turned it into a plan, implemented the plan and followed through. You made yourself accountable. Sounds commendable to me. It seems there was no great harm done, so you still ain't gonna' work on Maggie's farm no more.

+1. Please continue to share your thoughts with us, RunningMan. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on where the markets go from here, after the end of QE and after the election.