Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-14-2019, 12:01 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
If I didn't FIREd I would be swooping in and buying like heck. People's pain is sometimes other people's glory.
for me , NOT YET !

but there are some moves beginning to kook interesting

is there some tax-selling still to come , or is it mostly over

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2019, 06:17 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
Before I FIREd last year I invested heavily in 2000, 2008-2009 when some thought the sky was falling and also I monthly auto invest from 1988-2018. However during the mortgage crisis I knew our country was screwed and I took advantage of the buying opportunities. Critics will always be critics.
2000 was before my investing days. In 2008-2009, I had a lot of cash investments that I had just been sitting on waiting for the right buying opportunity. Then the markets crashed, and I spent every penny on equities, and watched my money multiply very quickly...

Then I made the dumbest financial move I've ever made, and withdrew all of my investments to put down a healthy down payment on a house in 2010. I lived there for 5 years. Put about $20k into the house and then sold it for a 20% loss (not including the money I put into it) after it was sitting on the market for nearly 2 years. I still think back to what that money would have done in the market from 2010 until now if I had just rented. Sigh.

dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:04 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Last Friday, I moved about 20% of our total investible assets from an S&P index fund to a total bond fund - getting from approx. 70/30 to 50/50. This was not market timing, but life timing. I officially retired May 1. It took me that long to talk through the whole situation with DW and for us to agree that a different AA was now appropriate.

Will it be a good move - who knows?
Old 05-14-2019, 08:06 AM   #44

Moderator note: If we can stick to discussion of the present market volatility and (especially) appropriate, practical actions we can take in response to that (if any), then we'll have a productive thread that can live a long time.
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:12 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I love reading what y'all post. I'm not all that good at trading, but I trade on instinct. The facts just confuse me.

BTW, I'm all out as of last Friday. I'll wait until I go back into the market.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post
I have a standing BUY for IVV at 280 if it gets there. Will evaluate the next BUY point if that one triggers.
On 5/15, I bought at $285.85. $287.90 closing price on 5/17.
Archman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:44 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Last month, I was forced to sell some stocks due to call options getting assigned. I then sold put options to buy them back at the same prices I sold them at, which were below market prices then.

These put options expired yesterday, and in the money. So, I have to buy them back, above the current market prices as they dropped badly in just last week.

This purchase of 6 figures will drive my stock AA back up. Darn!
Old 05-20-2019, 02:03 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I read about a thousand times that market timing was generally a bad move for investors. Has this changed?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Nothing has changed over the years.

If market timing causes you to buy high/sell low, it is not good.