S&P down about 3.5% so far, time to buy yet?

Could get interesting. Dow down over 700 pts as I type.

My investment cash balance is essentially $0 after buying more QQQ and IVV today. I just look at these dips as great buying opportunities. I'm sure luck will have it that the markets will drop further before it gets better... But timing of the markets was never a strategy I employed as much as letting sound investments sit for the long haul.

The market has dropped to where it was in mid March, about two months ago. Was mid March a good buying opportunity? Did you buy then?

Sure did! And I also bought heavily in December, an even better buying opportunity. Now I'm out of investable cash, other than my normal biweekly contributions to my retirement and investment accounts.

Sure did! And I also bought heavily in December, an even better buying opportunity. Now I'm out of investable cash, other than my normal biweekly contributions to my retirement and investment accounts.
Fair enough, you are being consistent. But one of my pet peeves is when people talk about a buying opportunity when the market is down after a few days when all the market did was go back to where it was a month or two ago. Where were these same people in March when the market was at the same level but moving up? If this level is a buying opportunity, wasn't it a buying opportunity then? And yet I don't remember people talking about what a buying opportunity it was then. I guess it's human nature to look at the same level differently if you reach that level on the way up as compared to on the way down.

Last edited:
Fair enough, you are being consistent. But one of my pet peeves is when people talk about a buying opportunity when the market is down after a few days when all the market did was go back to where it was a month or two ago. Where were these same people in March when the market was at the same level but moving up? If this level is a buying opportunity, wasn't it a buying opportunity then? And yet I don't remember people talking about what a buying opportunity it was then. I guess it's human nature to look at the same level differently if you reach that level on the way up as compared to on the way down.

Any time the market dips is a new buying opportunity. The problem is that we often don't have a pile of cash to throw at it when it does dip. For those of us that are still working, we build up our cash reserves with each paycheck. So a dip that puts us back to levels a few months ago IS a new buying opportunity.

And even if that's not the case, why not make lemons out of lemonade? When the markets are down, it's nice to look at the positives. Your goal in asking me where I was in mid-March was obviously to discredit me because you've got an axe to grind. That's a pretty negative way to think. You may want to consider looking at the bright side of things.

more downside tomorrow ? or will we be saved by a tweet tweet ? beautiful phone call .. beautiful letter for Xi ? :) hope so lol.

Down 1.36% for the day, but still overweight in equities because the have had a nice run since I last rebalanced on Feb 19.

Any time the market dips is a new buying opportunity. The problem is that we often don't have a pile of cash to throw at it when it does dip. For those of us that are still working, we build up our cash reserves with each paycheck. So a dip that puts us back to levels a few months ago IS a new buying opportunity.

And even if that's not the case, why not make lemons out of lemonade? When the markets are down, it's nice to look at the positives. Your goal in asking me where I was in mid-March was obviously to discredit me because you've got an axe to grind. That's a pretty negative way to think. You may want to consider looking at the bright side of things.
Before I FIREd last year I invested heavily in 2000, 2008-2009 when some thought the sky was falling and also I monthly auto invest from 1988-2018. However during the mortgage crisis I knew our country was screwed and I took advantage of the buying opportunities. Critics will always be critics.

I wonder if the deal we want China to sign would prevent them from bailing out financial institutions. Or if providing businesses with lower cost workers, when the workers get extra money from the Chinese government for taking the job, would be covered. There are all kinds of ways to help businesses. Just by the IRS responding to a question they're helping a business succeed through tax dollars.

If I didn't FIREd I would be swooping in and buying like heck. People's pain is sometimes other people's glory.

for me , NOT YET !

but there are some moves beginning to kook interesting

is there some tax-selling still to come , or is it mostly over

:popcorn:

Before I FIREd last year I invested heavily in 2000, 2008-2009 when some thought the sky was falling and also I monthly auto invest from 1988-2018. However during the mortgage crisis I knew our country was screwed and I took advantage of the buying opportunities. Critics will always be critics.

2000 was before my investing days. In 2008-2009, I had a lot of cash investments that I had just been sitting on waiting for the right buying opportunity. Then the markets crashed, and I spent every penny on equities, and watched my money multiply very quickly...

Then I made the dumbest financial move I've ever made, and withdrew all of my investments to put down a healthy down payment on a house in 2010. I lived there for 5 years. Put about $20k into the house and then sold it for a 20% loss (not including the money I put into it) after it was sitting on the market for nearly 2 years. I still think back to what that money would have done in the market from 2010 until now if I had just rented. Sigh.

Last Friday, I moved about 20% of our total investible assets from an S&P index fund to a total bond fund - getting from approx. 70/30 to 50/50. This was not market timing, but life timing. I officially retired May 1. It took me that long to talk through the whole situation with DW and for us to agree that a different AA was now appropriate.

Will it be a good move - who knows?

Moderator note: If we can stick to discussion of the present market volatility and (especially) appropriate, practical actions we can take in response to that (if any), then we'll have a productive thread that can live a long time.

I love reading what y'all post. I'm not all that good at trading, but I trade on instinct. The facts just confuse me.

BTW, I'm all out as of last Friday. I'll wait until I go back into the market.

Last month, I was forced to sell some stocks due to call options getting assigned. I then sold put options to buy them back at the same prices I sold them at, which were below market prices then.

These put options expired yesterday, and in the money. So, I have to buy them back, above the current market prices as they dropped badly in just last week.

This purchase of 6 figures will drive my stock AA back up. Darn!

Nothing has changed over the years.

If market timing causes you to buy high/sell low, it is not good. :)

I sold a few things today. Part of it was because I'm moving a tIRA to my 457B plan in order to eventually do an after tax 401k to Roth conversion. So I liquidated that smaller account in preparation to do the transfer. Also sold a couple other things, just trying to trim my overall equity exposure here a little given the fantastic 6 day run up.

Not crazy about today's market action, pop in the morning followed by a drift down to close on the lows.

I haven't updated my holdings spreadsheet in a while, but I would venture a guess that I'm about 61.5-62% equities after these changes.

Back
Top Bottom