Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
guess a lot of baby boomer's are taking money out of the mattress with the economy doing better

You are kidding ? Where is the economy getting better? Not where I live unless you think $8.00 an hour jobs is progress. This baby boomer (1947) is still sticking with cash. I will stay as far away from the stock market as I can. Its just a matter of time before a correction and I think most know that. oldtrig

The market's treated me pretty well so far this year....index funds only.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Back on Garp and his home, the occurrence of a future hapless pilot would not have any relationship to the current one, so his thinking that the home has been "predisastered" would be false.

But if his home is in the approach path to an airport, then perhaps that accident might even be foretelling of more to come.
I posted that clip intending it as humor - which was the intention of that clip in the original movie. You do realize that I hope NW-Bound?

Old 08-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I did. That scene was funny.

But at the same time, I tried to remind other readers that the "predisastered" logic can work in economic situations.

Immediately after the housing burst, people were so disheartened that they would not consider buying a home, even if they needed one, and could afford one, and the price was so right. I talked my daughter into it, and she bought her 1st home with the same monthly payment as she would pay for apartment rent. Her short-sales home was "predisastered". And it helped that we gave her essentially some inheritance money up-front with cash gift for the big down-payment.

PS. Just checked on Zillow. The estimate on her home is now almost 2.4X what she paid. Even though that is still below what the previous owner paid in 2008, I think it is too optimistic. However, other homes that are not as nice as hers are being listed for 2X what she paid. So, she is deep in the money.

PPS. If it weren't for the fact that we already had two homes, I would have bought with cash another home near my daughter's to save as a place for potential retirement downsizing. I could also flip that easily now 2.5 years after, for a tidy profit.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yes, I did. That scene was funny.
I figured you probably did. Just checking - I should know you by now!
Old 08-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

OFF-TOPIC WELL PUMP NOTE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

We would welcome a flood.

I've been pumping water from our well to the new neighbors across the road. The water table dropped below the level of his pump two days ago and his submersible pump burned up. He'll find out when they try to pull it next week if he can get away with a new pump set to a lower level (~$5,000) or if his pump is fused in the well requiring he drill a new one (~$25,000).

They bought the place last month and are wondering why...
I'd suggest a controller that shuts the pump off when it goes dry. IIRC, they are just a low-pressure switch with a time delay. If the pump is running and the pressure isn't increasing after a minute, it shuts down until you reset it.

Cheap insurance.

-ERD50
Old 08-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
OFF-TOPIC WELL PUMP NOTE:

I'd suggest a controller that shuts the pump off when it goes dry. IIRC, they are just a low-pressure switch with a time delay. If the pump is running and the pressure isn't increasing after a minute, it shuts down until you reset it.

Cheap insurance.
I have one and with all the well problems in the area I strongly suggested to both the new neighbor and his spouse a couple of weeks ago that they have one installed - they didn't.

The device, known as a 'pump saver', measures the power used by the submersible pump in the well:

Quote:
A proprietary microcontroller based voltage, power factor and current-sensing circuit constantly monitors for power fluctuations, overcurrent and underload conditions. When an abnormality, such as loss of suction, is detected, the PumpSaverPlus deactivates its output relay and directly disconnects the pump motor. The PumpSaverŪPlus then begins its user-selectable “Restart Delay” (dry-well recovery) timer. When the timer expires or power is removed and reapplied, the PumpSaverŪPlus reactivates its output relay and turns the pump back on.
FWIW, the pump saver monitors the submersible pump that fills my storage tank. I do have a controller that cuts off the above ground pressure pump if it senses a drop in pressure below 20 psi. The pump saver resets itself but this one has to be manually reset if it trips.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I have one and with all the well problems in the area I strongly suggested to both the new neighbor and his spouse a couple of weeks ago that they have one installed - they didn't. ....
You can lead a horse to.... wait, not if your well has gone dry!

-ERD50
Old 08-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

In my view Wellington is too much of a generic balanced fund (albeit one with a sterling reputation) to ever permanently close to all new investors. Vanguard says that the current restrictions are simply to slow $$ inflows, and I guess I believe them.

I've been a Wellington investor long enough to remember one other time when Vanguard put restrictions on new money. If memory serves, they temporarily closed it to all new investors and then rather quickly reopened it, but with a $10,000 minimum on investor class shares. I see that the minimum is now $3,000, so they must have eliminated the $10,000 minimum at some point when I wasn't paying attention.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
The market's treated me pretty well so far this year....index funds only.
I tried getting into Wellington through Fidelity and it was indeed closed to me. So I bought Tesla Motors and Pandora Media instead.

Tags
wellington